PDA

View Full Version : Projects won't Initialize ?

STE\/E
01-08-13, 09:08 AM
I threw together a Workbench Box to test some Memory because people keep sending back the Memory I sell them saying it doesn't work when I know the Memory does work. Anyhoot I installed BOINC on the Box since it was running but the BOINC Projects refuse to Initialize, nor will they do a Project Connect if I Update Manually, they just keep saying either Project Initializing or Update Pending/Update Requested. The Projects Attache to the Box okay & I can Browse the Internet so I know there's a Internet Connection.

I've Uninstalled BOINC several Times & Reinstalled BOINC again, Rebooted after the Installations, tried several different BOINC Versions but they all do the same Project Initializing thing ... ~X(

nanoprobe
01-08-13, 11:48 AM
I threw together a Workbench Box to test some Memory because people keep sending back the Memory I sell them saying it doesn't work when I know the Memory does work. Anyhoot I installed BOINC on the Box since it was running but the BOINC Projects refuse to Initialize, nor will they do a Project Connect if I Update Manually, they just keep saying either Project Initializing or Update Pending/Update Requested. The Projects Attache to the Box okay & I can Browse the Internet so I know there's a Internet Connection.

I've Uninstalled BOINC several Times & Reinstalled BOINC again, Rebooted after the Installations, tried several different BOINC Versions but they all do the same Project Initializing thing ... ~X(

Could be something in the BOINC data folder that isn't removed when you do an uninstall. Try unistalling again and manually deleting the hidden BOINC folder and then do a new clean install. Hopefully that will clear the problem.

Mumps
01-08-13, 06:39 PM

Just get that crappy RAM that doesn't work out of it. Problem Solved! :)

Bryan
01-08-13, 10:59 PM
Steve, check the TIME on the computer and make sure it is correct!! I had a machine that did a similar thing and would always go into the 24 hour backoff mode continually. The only way i could get work was by manual update. It was a machine that I hadn't run for many a moon and the I didn't check the time when i blew the dust off and it wasn't set to update automatically to Windoze time.

STE\/E
01-09-13, 12:11 AM
@Bryan: Already checked the Time in the BIOS & in Windows, both correct.

@Mumps: :p ... Yeah I gotta quit selling that Crappy Brand of Memory, I try to tell the People not to buy it but they do anyway then want to Piss & Moan about how I sent them Memory with the wrong Timings or the wrong Mhz when the Item clearly stats what Timing or Mhz the Memory is that's going to be sent to them ... Go Figure

STE\/E
01-09-13, 01:24 PM
Well I did a Format & complete reinstall of the OS on the Box & it still won't initialize the Projects, I really don't know what else to do with it other than Shoot it ... :D

Mike029
01-09-13, 02:23 PM
Well I did a Format & complete reinstall of the OS on the Box & it still won't initialize the Projects, I really don't know what else to do with it other than Shoot it ... :D

This happens to me every now and then with Poem. I checked the project folder and noticed it missing files. Nothing I did would get the project to send me the files necessary to crunch. With Poem, I had to manually DL the poemcl_1.3_windows_intelx86__opencl_nvidia_100 from the Poem website, place it into the Poem Boinc folder the hit the update button and it would download wu's and crunch normally after that.
Hope that helps.

Fire$torm
01-09-13, 11:19 PM
Well....

OK, after installing the Win7 did you install all hardware drivers? Chipset, NIC, SATA, etc...? I ask because that what the problem sounds like to me? Or maybe there are newer drivers on the MB makers website then the ones you have?

Mumps
01-09-13, 11:46 PM
Hmmm, from what Bryan suggested, that makes me think of a permissions issue. So maybe the Boinc user can't create the project files in the directories.

Fire$torm
01-10-13, 12:24 AM
Hmmm, from what Bryan suggested, that makes me think of a permissions issue. So maybe the Boinc user can't create the project files in the directories.

Yep, there is definitely that possibility.

STE\/E
01-10-13, 06:52 AM
I've let this go for now, I've been is so much pain all week with the Kidney Stone moving around inside me I can hardly walk let alone be worried about the Box not running BOINC, I haven't really eaten anything either since Monday morning when I had the Procedure done. Once I feel better I'll take another look at it ...

Mike029
01-10-13, 09:00 AM
I've let this go for now, I've been is so much pain all week with the Kidney Stone moving around inside me I can hardly walk let alone be worried about the Box not running BOINC, I haven't really eaten anything either since Monday morning when I had the Procedure done. Once I feel better I'll take another look at it ...

Feel better..

nanoprobe
01-10-13, 09:20 AM
I feel your pain. Been passing stones for 30+ years. Luckily I only had to have surgery once. The recovery from that was more painful that the stones. Hope you get to feeling better soon.

Duke of Buckingham
01-10-13, 10:28 AM
http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs8/i/2005/298/1/4/Get_Well_Soon_by_capricornfox.jpg

kmanley57
01-10-13, 02:54 PM
I am not sure how well he would do if he had nurses that looked like that to take care of him Duke! But then he might not care about getting well with them around! =P~

c303a
01-10-13, 03:15 PM
Get well Steve. I hate to see anyone in pain.

Crazybob
01-10-13, 09:41 PM
I'll throw out a stupid one. You know when you don't do an install in a while, things get fuzzy, at least for me. Is boinc set to only use a small amount of memory, or not to run while in use? I got screwed up on that one before. Also how much room on hard drive? I use smaller HD's for test boxes and Boinc can fill them up fast. Probably wrong, but some suggestions trigger other thoughts?

Get well soon Ste\/e!

STE\/E
01-11-13, 04:24 PM
Was feeling just a little better today so I went out & Copied the files from another Box & then copied them to the Box the wouldn't Initialize. It did some weird things but finally started downloading & running Wu's ... :D

Fire$torm
01-11-13, 11:51 PM
Was feeling just a little better today so I went out & Copied the files from another Box & then copied them to the Box the wouldn't Initialize. It did some weird things but finally started downloading & running Wu's ... :D

Good news.

Crazybob
01-12-13, 01:11 PM
Good to hear Ste\/e!

Duke of Buckingham
01-12-13, 04:59 PM
Very nice Steve, I hope things are getting on track to you.

STE\/E
01-12-13, 06:23 PM
Thanks everyone, I have to say I feel a lot better today compared to 2 days ago or even yesterday. The Stone Partials must have finally fully passed & that made everything else making me feel so bad settle down too ... :o

Draconian
01-12-13, 09:06 PM
Thanks everyone, I have to say I feel a lot better today compared to 2 days ago or even yesterday. The Stone Partials must have finally fully passed & that made everything else making me feel so bad settle down too ... :o

Glad you are feeling better. Never had a stone - heard about them though...not good.
Far as BOINC goes, I have had some similar experience where I had to run as administrator one time - even though I am an admin. See it a lot where I work with their crazy programs - GPO setting all kinds of wonky crap. Run as admin, poof. At least where I work, the problem is caused by the department that pushes the software - unfortunately, they can't spell SMS without being spotted....

STE\/E
01-13-13, 04:35 PM
@#$%~X(^&*&^x-(%$#@! ... Damn, now another build won't Initialize the Projects, I've installed BOINC Thousands of times before & have never run into this problem. Even copying files from another BOINC Install didn't get it to work this time. I don't understand why when I do a Manual Update of a Project the BOINC Manager shows I put the call in but never actually makes the call. It will sit there for Hr's showing "update requested by user", I can connect to the Project thru the Manager & Attach the Projects so it's not that there's no Internet connection ... Really Weird

Fire$torm
01-13-13, 04:50 PM
Not to be a pain but here are some things to try

First scan for viruses and then scan for malware.

Shut down BOINC. Navigate to where it is installed, right-click on boinc.exe and select properties. Next, click on the "compatibility" tab and add a check mark to the box for "Run as Administrator". Now restart BOINC. If this works then you have a permissions issue in Windows.

More Extreme...

Use Windows "Programs and Features" (Control Panel) to remove BOINC. Reboot into Safe Mode and run CCleaner to clear errant registry entries. Reboot into desktop and install an earlier version of BOINC, say 6.10.58. Make sure its the 64-bit version. Reboot again and attach to a project.

If this works then there is something wrong with the other BOINC installer. It might be corrupted or have some internal glitch in your copy.

Edit: DL 6.10.58 x64 from my Dropbox (Link (https://www.dropbox.com/s/6j3i4bppm8aqdkm/boinc_6.10.58_windows_x86_64.exe?m))

STE\/E
01-13-13, 06:21 PM
Thanks F$ but nada, whats happening shouldn't really even be happening but it is so somehow or way I'll have to figure it out ... The Installer I'm using worked on all the other rebuilds with no Problems so there's no reason it shouldn't work on the last 2. I even tried the New v7.0.44 that's out but get the same thing ... I checked the Certificate too & it says it's okay ...

I've asked about it over at the BOINC DEV Forum, I know Jord over there & he's pretty sharp about BOINC even if he's a little sharp tongued too ... :)

trigggl
01-14-13, 12:43 AM
It sounds like a network issue to me. I think BOINC has trouble sometimes if it doesn't like something about the network. Have you tried a Linux live cd. It wouldn't surprise me if it were a Windows networkism problem or the router not handling new connections to BOINC well. I don't think being able to browse the web is an indication of hosts being seen as unique outside the local network.

At work I've had problems with identical computers being seen as separate hosts. Networks can cause all kinds of weird stuff. Just something I would look into.

The network is one thing I think all your problem PC's would have in common.

STE\/E
01-14-13, 03:43 AM
At work I've had problems with identical computers being seen as separate hosts. Networks can cause all kinds of weird stuff. Just something I would look into.

The network is one thing I think all your problem PC's would have in common.

I've suspected the Network all along myself, I've been using a Wireless USB Stick from another box to do the 2 recent Box's & have had trouble with both, I have more New Wireless USB Sticks being delivered today so each Box has it's own Wireless USB Adapter. Anywoot I got it to work this morning, When I pulled the Adapter from the other Box & put it into the Non Working Box it installed something & told me to reboot so I did. Once rebooted the Projects Initialized & downloaded new work. The Adapter works on both Box's now too but won't have to with the new ones coming in ... Everything's running in STE\/E Land now so all's Kewl ... lol

c303a
01-14-13, 10:28 AM
Way to go!!! Persistance pays off and if it don't just get a BIG Hammer!;););)

Duke of Buckingham
01-14-13, 12:32 PM
Big hammer? Like this one?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Ut3WhZ16a3k/UA3mJqqtFNI/AAAAAAAABzo/sUwkEbSRKZc/s1600/BigHammer.jpg

c303a
01-14-13, 02:23 PM
Looks a little small for the job.

invisy
01-14-13, 02:23 PM
I had problems yesterday also but its chomping:p now

STE\/E
06-18-13, 04:58 PM
I'm still having the problem of getting Projects to Initialize when I do a reinstall of Windows & BOINC. I've had 1 Box down since yesterday because of this problem. I wiped out Linux & installed Windows & BOINC but haven't been able to get the Projects to Initialize so I can run BOINC. For now the Box can stay down, I'd rather leave it down than install Linux again and waste the electricity with all the faults it gives me.

I have fresh installs on several other Box's & if I can't get the Projects to Initialize on them they'll stay down too. I'm sick of messing with them & nobody's seems to know why the Projects won't Initialize so eventually if I have to reinstall Windows I'll slowly run out of Box's to run ... :(

Fire$torm
06-19-13, 04:24 AM
I'm still having the problem of getting Projects to Initialize when I do a reinstall of Windows & BOINC. I've had 1 Box down since yesterday because of this problem. I wiped out Linux & installed Windows & BOINC but haven't been able to get the Projects to Initialize so I can run BOINC. For now the Box can stay down, I'd rather leave it down than install Linux again and waste the electricity with all the faults it gives me.

I have fresh installs on several other Box's & if I can't get the Projects to Initialize on them they'll stay down too. I'm sick of messing with them & nobody's seems to know why the Projects won't Initialize so eventually if I have to reinstall Windows I'll slowly run out of Box's to run ... :(

Questions again....

Fresh install of Win7 from what kind of media? ex: ISO Image, Retail DVD, etc...

Is Win7 fully updated after install?

Are all system drivers up to date? ex: Intel chipset drivers, NIC drivers, etc...

BOINC version? And are you doing a fresh install of BOINC or are doing a copy/paste of the BOINC folders from another machine?

Crazybob
06-19-13, 08:30 AM
What does the Event Log in BOINC say when you try to get the projects started? I'm sure you know more about boxes than me, but you never know when a stupid sugestion just might work. :)

STE\/E
06-20-13, 07:16 AM
I may have stumbled on the Problem by sheer Blind Luck Guy'z. I was using System Restore to get rid of previous BOINC installs & by accident I let BOINC Install in it's Default Location. Usually I direct BOINC to install on another Partition other than the Windows Partition but by doing repeated Restores I forgot to do that this 1 time & BOOM BOINC was Initializing the Projects.

I didn't realize what had happened for a few minutes until I went to create a Shortcut on the Desktop & I didn't see anything in the usual BOINC Directories. So I had to go hunting for the the files & found them in the Windows Program Directories. I moved all the files to another Partition & rebooted & BOINC still worked & Initialized other Projects. So maybe It's something about the v7.x.xx BOINC Client that on new installs of Windows it needs to be installed in it's Default Location & then can be moved to where you want it.

I'll find out if that works by the end of the weekend as I have another Box that's running Linux but has a fresh Install of Windows on another Drive, plus I have to do 2 other Linux Box's back to Windows that will need to be installed first so hopefully that will work for them too, I'll report back on it one way or the other but It'll be a few days like this weekend maybe before I get around to them. I don't Golf on the Weekends so I'll have time to work on them then ... :-B

Crazybob
06-20-13, 09:02 AM
Glad you were able to fix things. It's nice to have the boxes wereing away instead of you getting ready to take a hammer to them. :)

Gopher_FreeDC
06-21-13, 05:14 PM
I may have stumbled on the Problem by sheer Blind Luck Guy'z. I was using System Restore to get rid of previous BOINC installs & by accident I let BOINC Install in it's Default Location. Usually I direct BOINC to install on another Partition other than the Windows Partition but by doing repeated Restores I forgot to do that this 1 time & BOOM BOINC was Initializing the Projects.

System restore will do that...