PDA

View Full Version : POEM: New clients out

RSS
01-11-13, 05:13 PM
As already written on Twitter, the new clients are out. If you encounter any problems, please let us know here immediately.The CPU clients should now work again with the newest BOINC client release and should also be a little bit faster.----Wie bereits auf Twitter geschrieben sind die neuen Clients raus. Sofern ihr auf irgendwelche Probleme stoßen solltet, meldet euch bitte hier.Die CPU Clients sollten nun wieder mit dem neuesten Client funktionieren und auch etwas schneller sein.

More... (http://boinc.fzk.de/poem/forum_thread.php?id=882)

Mumps
01-11-13, 07:03 PM
Take this as a reminder that all of us out here with app_info.xml files need to make sure we're current!

Slicker
01-12-13, 12:53 PM
If I read it right in the boinc_dev email the other day, DA also made a change in the BOINC server code so that work can be evenly distributed amongst users. If implemented at PEOM, it may make the BOINC project updater obsolete. He didn't mention which project(s) requested the change, but my guess is that it is one of those with limited WUs available such as SIMAP or POEM.

Mumps
01-12-13, 01:01 PM
If I read it right in the boinc_dev email the other day, DA also made a change in the BOINC server code so that work can be evenly distributed amongst users. If implemented at PEOM, it may make the BOINC project updater obsolete. He didn't mention which project(s) requested the change, but my guess is that it is one of those with limited WUs available such as SIMAP or POEM.

Hmm. Considering what DA thinks is "Equal pay" for GPU's, I guess I should expect to start getting just as much work from any project that implements that as Duke does. :)

nanoprobe
01-12-13, 02:11 PM
Take this as a reminder that all of us out here with app_info.xml files need to make sure we're current!
Update BOINC to version 7.0.44 and use an app_config instead of an app_info and you won't have to worry about keeping the app_info files current. I tested it by leaving the 1.03 file in the project folder, deleted the app_info, switched to an app_config and started BOINC. It downloaded the new 1.04 file with a WU and started crunching while ignoring the 1.03 file still in the folder.
WARNING: Complete all the tasks you have in cache before trying this. They will be lost if you don't.

Here is what my app-config looks like to run 6 tasks on a 7970. I didn't test running 6 at a time. The 1 I did test showed the correct CPU and GPU usage so I'm sure it would work as they were the same settings I used for the app_info.

<app_config>
<app>
<name>poemcl</name>
<gpu_versions>
<gpu_usage>0.166</gpu_usage>
<cpu_usage>1.0</cpu_usage>
</gpu_versions>
</app>
</app_config>

zombie67
01-13-13, 07:58 PM
Now that there is a new app, and we can use app_config.xml instead of app_info.xml, does the dual nvidia card problem still exist?

nanoprobe
01-13-13, 09:32 PM
Now that there is a new app, and we can use app_config.xml instead of app_info.xml, does the dual nvidia card problem still exist?
Yes you can use the app_config but you have to update boinc to 7.0.44. I don't know if the dual Nvidia card problem still exists. Hopefully the new POEM 1.4 app addressed that issue.

Mike029
01-13-13, 10:42 PM
Yes you can use the app_config but you have to update boinc to 7.0.44. I don't know if the dual Nvidia card problem still exists. Hopefully the new POEM 1.4 app addressed that issue.

I'll play with it in my dual box after the PG challenge and post my results.

kaptainkarl1
01-14-13, 09:29 PM
So do I need to change my app info file or update boinc or both. I'm confused.

Mumps
01-14-13, 10:07 PM

Well, I'm still getting work on all 4 of my boxes that can run POEM, so I'm not messing with it until that changes. Not super interested in installing the bleeding-edge BOINC Client for a single project. Especially if it's not yet necessary.

Although, the new apps are supposedly a bit improved and should get slightly better credit it seems.

nanoprobe
01-15-13, 06:03 AM
Update BOINC to 7.0.44. In this version the app_info is replaced with an app_config which is 1000x easier to work with.

nanoprobe
01-15-13, 06:10 AM
Well, I'm still getting work on all 4 of my boxes that can run POEM, so I'm not messing with it until that changes. Not super interested in installing the bleeding-edge BOINC Client for a single project. Especially if it's not yet necessary.

Although, the new apps are supposedly a bit improved and should get slightly better credit it seems.
FWIW the new BOINC using an app_config can be used with any project. You can even run multiple different projects at the same time on the same machine by just assigning x amount of cores to each project. On my test machine I'm currently running WCG, POGS, Asteroids and SIMAP.

zombie67
01-17-13, 11:17 PM

Well, I tried it with my 590 + 560 Ti 2win (two dual GPU cards). No app_config.xml at all. Just the default app, one per GPU. Still the same old errors. I doubt running an app_config.xml, with more tasks per GPU would help.