PDA

View Full Version : PrimeGrid: Upcoming PrimeGrid Down Time

RSS
01-25-13, 09:30 AM
I've been informed that sometime soon the PrimeGrid servers will be relocated to a new datacenter. As a result, PrimeGrid's servers will be unavailable for at least several hours. If there are unforeseen complications, the outage may be longer. This will affect PrimeGrid and its forums, as well as about half of the PRPNet ports. PRPNet ports with primegrid.com URLs will be affected while ports with mine.nu URLs should be fine. PRPNet ports that will be affected are: GCW, Primorial, Factorial, GFN32768, GFN65536, 27, and 121. The PrimeSearchTeam forums, used for manual sieving, will not be affected and should remain up during the outage, as will the upload and download servers for manual sieving. What should you do? That depends on how much of a cache of work units you normally keep on your computer. If you're like me and keep either a very small cache, or no cache at all, you may want to increase the cache size in order to keep your computers busy during the outage. Since the forums will be down along with the rest of the site, you can use our chatroom at http://www.chatzy.com/46334617429062 to get updates or to communicate with us. The chatroom is an external site and won't be affected by the outage. You may wish to save that URL. When will this happen? I don't have exact times yet. I'll let you know as soon as I do. Does this affect the upcoming challenges? The exact impact upon the upcoming Valentine's Day and Tour de Prime challenges, if any, has yet to be determined. The effect on the ongoing cleanup phase for the Year of the Snake challenge should be negligible. Will PrimeGrid's URL or IP address change? The URL will not changing. It's unknown at this time if the IP address will change. If it does change, the process of converting to the new IP will be handled automatically by the DNS system and requires no action on your part, although it may take up to 24 hours for the mapping to propagate through the DNS servers.

More... (http://www.primegrid.com/forum_thread.php?id=4815)