PDA

View Full Version : Controlling multiple systems with 1 task manager?

litehouse43
02-15-13, 11:47 AM
Hi all,
I'm slowly expanding my crunching network and I've come to a bit of a crossroads on task management on all of my computers. Until recently I always had BOINC on my desktop, laptop and another backup desktop I had downstairs. Each of these had their own monitors and I controlled the tasks being run on each computer from that computer. Recently I upgraded the two desktops so I now have 4 desktops running BOINC. Since the two old ones do not have KVM setups I have been switching over from the active computers to monitor the status of the two others and then switching my KVM back. My question is: can I link all of these computers (through a home network or something) so that I can manage all of their tasks and statuses from one central task manager? I was also considering kVM switches if the first is not an option. Any advice would be much appreciated.

~Jack

Fire$torm
02-15-13, 11:58 AM
Use BoincTasks (Link (http://www.efmer.eu/boinc/boinc_tasks/)). It works very well and has a great set of features. Give it a shot.

zombie67
02-15-13, 02:54 PM
Use BoincTasks (Link (http://www.efmer.eu/boinc/boinc_tasks/)). It works very well and has a great set of features. Give it a shot.

+1

Also, if you need to manage the actual computers for non-BOINC stuff (updates, settings, etc), then use VNC. It's like a virtual KVM. I use ultraVNC on my remote hosts.

Fire$torm
02-15-13, 03:07 PM
+1

Also, if you need to manage the actual computers for non-BOINC stuff (updates, settings, etc), then use VNC. It's like a virtual KVM. I use ultraVNC on my remote hosts.

+++1

litehouse43
02-17-13, 12:18 AM
Awesome, thanks. Just what I was looking for. Very cool.

Cruncher Pete
02-17-13, 03:27 AM
I have three workstation locations at various places in the house. The 12 computers are managed by three KVM Switches controlling four rigs. This is handy this way for most of the time I can not afford to run all my rigs , but when I am dowstairs I can just run the desired numbers. I also have "Teamviewer" (afree program) installed in all my machines. Upstairs I controll all the rigs from a master machine and TeamViewer lets me controll all the rigs irrespective of location and I can do anything with those rigs from one machine as if I was sitting in front of it. The only thing it can not do is turn on the rig, but that can be done by other means if desired.

Slicker
02-19-13, 10:44 AM
LogMeIn is a good free browser based remote desktop solution. No Linux though. TeamViewer is another good remote desktop solution with both free and paid versions.