PDA

View Full Version : World's First PCIe 3.0 + USB 3.0 AMD AM3+ Mobo

John P. Myers
02-22-13, 10:54 PM
http://news.softpedia.com/news/ASUS-TUF-Sabertooth-990FX-GEN3-R2-0-Motherboard-330373.shtml

Finally someone slapped a booster chip on an AMD mobo so it'll support USB 3.0 and PCIe 3.0, as unnatural as it may be, and is available on the 2nd revision of this board only - to be released mid-march. AMD's 990FX chipset does not support USB or PCIe 3.0 so Asus welded something to their board that does.

This board has 4 PCIe x16 slots, but only 3 of them are 3.0. The other is only 2.0 and they also threw in a plain PCI slot for a total of 5 slots. Very odd number, but you'll notice unexplained heatsinks clogging up the expansion plane, which are most likely hiding the reason the board supports USB/PCIe 3.0 as well as 3-way SLI/XFire (something made by Lucid is my guess).

Enjoy :)

Fire$torm
02-23-13, 01:26 AM
Sweet! Thx JPM.

Oh, i do have a question in regards to AM3 chips.

Have they ironed out the issue with LLC (Load Line Calibration) and its effects on Vdroop? Or is this not relevant to the older AM3 CPUs like 1090T?

John P. Myers
02-23-13, 02:01 AM
Sweet! Thx JPM.

Oh, i do have a question in regards to AM3 chips.

Have they ironed out the issue with LLC (Load Line Calibration) and its effects on Vdroop? Or is this not relevant to the older AM3 CPUs like 1090T?

Hasn't been ironed out, really, and it can effect the 1090T as well. Instead of fixing it, more recent BIOSs on more recent boards should have an LLC adjustment in the BIOS. May be something as simple as Enable/Disable. Enable it, of course :) If you can adjust it in levels, *never* set it to max level. Don't know if they fixed the "LLC working too good" glitch where it ends up adding like 0.150V to your Vcore out of the blue, but better safe than sorry.