03-12-13, 07:36 AM
Can BOINC be installed on a VirtualBox without installing a OS ??? Thanks

Al
03-12-13, 08:36 AM
Can BOINC be installed on a VirtualBox without installing a OS ??? Thanks

Nope, got to have an os.

zombie67
03-12-13, 10:28 AM
Some projects offer a app that runs in vbox, and it brings it's own OS to the party. T4T does this. BOINC downloads the app, which then boots a vbox client, and within that vbox client, runs a custom app in that vbox client.

But no, you can't run BOINC in a vbox client without an OS.

Slicker
03-12-13, 02:52 PM
...but you can install Linux and BOINC on a USB drive so you can plug it, boot up, and run BOINC without messing with the installed OS on the hard drive.

STE\/E
03-12-13, 05:25 PM
Okay Guy'z all useful Info, running the TestTheory4 isn't to bad, I can run1 TT4 MT Wu on the VM & 3 Regular Wu's on Boinc for another App at the WUP Project ... :D

STE\/E
03-12-13, 05:35 PM
...but you can install Linux and BOINC on a USB drive so you can plug it, boot up, and run BOINC without messing with the installed OS on the hard drive.

Yeah I got 1 USB Drive set up that way but haven't taken the time to mess with it yet to see how I like it ...

kheinicken
11-21-13, 10:59 PM
A new version of Bonic is out and its comes with virtualbox installer.
http://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/Release_Notes

John P. Myers
11-22-13, 05:08 AM
A new version of Bonic is out and its comes with virtualbox installer.
http://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/Release_Notes

Well that's convenient :) Good idea bundling the two together if it'll actually help increase the number of projects offering VBOX apps.

nanoprobe
11-22-13, 11:23 AM
Yeah I got 1 USB Drive set up that way but haven't taken the time to mess with it yet to see how I like it ...

Just an FYI if you're running Linux on a USB drive. It's probably best to stay away from projects that do heavy reads/writes to the drive. I had USB drives running the WCG CEP2 app when it was Linux only and it killed them all. Found out later that 1 CEP2 task writes around 32GB to the drive.

trigggl
11-22-13, 05:47 PM
Well that's convenient :) Good idea bundling the two together if it'll actually help increase the number of projects offering VBOX apps.

I thought your first edit was the correct one. If anyone can bungle an app, Berkeley can.

John P. Myers
11-22-13, 05:56 PM
I thought your first edit was the correct one. If anyone can bungle an app, Berkeley can.

Haha i was hoping no one noticed that, especially since it took me so long to notice the typo :p

Mumps
11-22-13, 06:16 PM
I noticed it and didn't think twice about it. "He meant to do that! And I whole-heartedly agree!" :))