PDA

View Full Version : VM's ???

STE\/E
03-15-13, 03:17 AM
What is the deal with more & more BOINC Projects requiring a VM & or a VM & another OS installation inside the VM to run them, just what is the advantage of requiring more & more system overhead to run the VM's & BOINC. To me if this keeps up it will drive more & more people from BOINC, a lot of people have a hard enough time just installing BOINC & attaching a few Project. So requiring a VM or VM & another OS Installation is going to be to much for them to continue running BOINC. My stepson can't even re-install the Operating system let alone go thru everything required to run the VM's. Heck I'm only running Test4Theroy because it just requires the VM & attaching to the Project, Running a VM & another OS Installation is even to much for me as I haven't figured out how to do it yet ... :p

zombie67
03-15-13, 08:58 AM
What is the deal with more & more BOINC Projects requiring a VM & or a VM & another OS installation inside the VM to run them, just what is the advantage of requiring more & more system overhead to run the VM's & BOINC. To me if this keeps up it will drive more & more people from BOINC, a lot of people have a hard enough time just installing BOINC & attaching a few Project. So requiring a VM or VM & another OS Installation is going to be to much for them to continue running BOINC. My stepson can't even re-install the Operating system let alone go thru everything required to run the VM's. Heck I'm only running Test4Theroy because it just requires the VM & attaching to the Project, Running a VM & another OS Installation is even to much for me as I haven't figured out how to do it yet ... :p

I think maybe you are confusing this with running a VM so that you can run alternative OSs. For those, yes, you have to create a virtual machine, install an OS, etc.

But the projects that require vbox are something else entirely. They do NOT require you to install any OS on a VM. You just need to have vbox installed, and that is it. No manual OS installation at all. When BOINC fetches a task, it also fetches a mini-OS and then runs the task inside of that mini-OS, inside of vbox. From the user perspective, it is no different than any other BOINC project, other than installing vbox once.

The advantage is that the project has to develop and test only one flavor of application (linux). And in this case, he doesn't have to worry about which flavor of linux, with which libraries installed, etc. It is exactly the same for everyone.

STE\/E
03-15-13, 09:06 AM
But what other Projects other than Test4Theory have the feature to not have to install an OS too, I have T4T running on 3 Win & 3 Linux Box's right now, painless really. But I don't care to be installing a VM & another OS, a of of my Driver don't have enough room to for that really ...

zombie67
03-15-13, 10:21 AM
But what other Projects other than Test4Theory have the feature to not have to install an OS too, I have T4T running on 3 Win & 3 Linux Box's right now, painless really. But I don't care to be installing a VM & another OS, a of of my Driver don't have enough room to for that really ...

I don't follow. The only other project that requires vbox is the new-ish climate@home. No other project requires you to run vbox. You seem be saying you don't like to run VMs. Aside from those two projects (T4R and climate@home), you don't have to. I think I am missing your point?

Edit: I just had a thought. Maybe your issue is that you have to use a VM to run linux-only projects? If so, then your complaint should be directed at project(s) that don't offer windows apps. That is the problem. Your work around happens to be running vbox with a linux VM. But the cause of the situation is a lack of a windows app, not the VM itself. In fact, vbox could actually solve that problem. The project(s) don't want to, or can't offer a windows app? Fine, then they should offer the vbox solution like T4T does. That way the project has to develop and maintain only a single linux app, while at the same time, sending it to all OSs (win, osx, linux, etc). And the volunteers don't have to do anything other than install vbox once.

Duke of Buckingham
03-15-13, 10:51 AM
I think what STE\/E means is the Linux projects to run in windows need a Linux VM.

trigggl
03-15-13, 01:45 PM
I think what STE\/E means is the Linux projects to run in windows need a Linux VM.

I run windows apps from my Linux computers using wine. No need for a VM.

Duke of Buckingham
03-15-13, 02:13 PM
Well that is another way of running Linux app on windows. Here a link explain how to do it and install. Maybe you like to try it STE\/E.

http://howto.wired.com/wiki/Run_Linux_Applications_in_Windows

STE\/E
03-15-13, 03:22 PM
I don't know what I mean anymore, I'm old & slow & getting sicker by the day, my Med's & Treatments for the Crohn's Disease + numerous other aliments have been almost doubled & that's starting to take a toll on me I think, my mind isn't right half the time so what can one expect ... When you only get about 2 Hr's sleep a day it's hard to concentration ... :p

Anyhoot my original question was that I just don't see the point in running VM's, other than getting a few extra Credits from some of the NCI Projects which don't mean a hill of beans really. The VM's take away from the system, at least my thinking thinks they do & I know from past running them that they do slow down Wu's running under the Windows BOINC. Now the VirtualBox I can see running, & have it installed on 3 Win & 3 Linux Box's.

Don't know about the Linux ones (VirtualBox) though, I used the Software Package to install the VirtualBox in Linux. So after taking 4 Hr's to Download the Test4Theory 1.3gb exe (Wireless Box's) the Test4Theory Wu crashed & took all the other running Wu's with it. Don't know what really happened because I wasn't watching it when it happened. I Suspended the other 2 Linux Test4Theory Wu's for now so I can watch them when I restart them. Don't have any problem with Windoze & the VirtualBox's, they seem to run okay ...

I think the problem here with the Linux VB's from reading the Log files for the erred WU: 2013-03-15 10:27:16 (16903): Required extension pack not installed, remote desktop not enabled
not quit sure what pack it needs but I remember when the VB was installing it said something about not installing a pack so will try to reinstall & see if I can pick up on what it needs to run properly ...

I've tried that Wine stuff before & just ended up going out & getting a Bottle of Wine, was a lot easier on my mind ... http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing001.gif

Duke of Buckingham
03-15-13, 06:28 PM
I don't know what I mean anymore, I'm old & slow & getting sicker by the day, my Med's & Treatments for the Crohn's Disease + numerous other aliments have been almost doubled & that's starting to take a toll on me I think, my mind isn't right half the time so what can one expect ... When you only get about 2 Hr's sleep a day it's hard to concentration ... :p

Anyhoot my original question was that I just don't see the point in running VM's, other than getting a few extra Credits from some of the NCI Projects which don't mean a hill of beans really. The VM's take away from the system, at least my thinking thinks they do & I know from past running them that they do slow down Wu's running under the Windows BOINC. Now the VirtualBox I can see running, & have it installed on 3 Win & 3 Linux Box's.

Don't know about the Linux ones (VirtualBox) though, I used the Software Package to install the VirtualBox in Linux. So after taking 4 Hr's to Download the Test4Theory 1.3gb exe (Wireless Box's) the Test4Theory Wu crashed & took all the other running Wu's with it. Don't know what really happened because I wasn't watching it when it happened. I Suspended the other 2 Linux Test4Theory Wu's for now so I can watch them when I restart them. Don't have any problem with Windoze & the VirtualBox's, they seem to run okay ...

I think the problem here with the Linux VB's from reading the Log files for the erred WU: 2013-03-15 10:27:16 (16903): Required extension pack not installed, remote desktop not enabled
not quit sure what pack it needs but I remember when the VB was installing it said something about not installing a pack so will try to reinstall & see if I can pick up on what it needs to run properly ...

I've tried that Wine stuff before & just ended up going out & getting a Bottle of Wine, was a lot easier on my mind ... http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing001.gif

It is life but it is beautiful.
http://www.recados18.com/images/20111101/pleasing-hugs-graphic.gif

Slicker
03-15-13, 07:01 PM
Well that is another way of running Linux app on windows. Here a link explain how to do it and install. Maybe you like to try it STE\/E.

http://howto.wired.com/wiki/Run_Linux_Applications_in_Windows
Too bad it can only be installed on 32-bit versions of Windows

Duke of Buckingham
03-15-13, 08:34 PM
Too bad it can only be installed on 32-bit versions of Windows

coLinux (to 64 bit) but there are other ways, Linux is very powerful and totally open source but I think most of you know much more than me about it. Sometimes my memory is not so good also, I have my days, that is enough for me. coLinux is a good search and a powerful tool that for some reason I never saw nothing about it on the forum.

http://www.colinux.org/

Slicker
03-15-13, 09:34 PM
coLinux (to 64 bit) but there are other ways, Linux is very powerful and totally open source but I think most of you know much more than me about it. Sometimes my memory is not so good also, I have my days, that is enough for me. coLinux is a good search and a powerful tool that for some reason I never saw nothing about it on the forum.

http://www.colinux.org/Per the FAQ: Q27. Does coLinux work under 64-bit Windows? The answer is: No.
It's being worked on but there appears to be a fair bit of work to do yet.

Duke of Buckingham
03-15-13, 10:45 PM
Per the FAQ: Q27. Does coLinux work under 64-bit Windows? The answer is: No.
It's being worked on but there appears to be a fair bit of work to do yet.

Well I had run coLinux under Windows XP 64 and was running in 64 bits I even ran Boinc but never could make the system recognize the GPU for Boinc use. I have changed to Windows 7 and since then have never tried to install Linux on this machine, I don't know enough of hardware to understand the implications of it but it worked on Windows XP 64 for a time as you can see on the list of my computers below.

http://yafu.dyndns.org/yafu/hosts_user.php?sort=rpc_time&rev=0&show_all=1&userid=429

The 1210 and the 1248 are the same computer using both OS Win XP 64 and Linux. It worked if it shouldn't haven't worked that is another problem.

Slicker
03-17-13, 06:54 PM
The 1210 and the 1248 are the same computer using both OS Win XP 64 and Linux. It worked if it shouldn't haven't worked that is another problem.

Maybe it ran as a 32-bit app from within Windows x64.

Duke of Buckingham
03-17-13, 09:29 PM
Maybe it ran as a 32-bit app from within Windows x64.

:) Maybe It did but it ran 64 bit Linux apps from Boinc all the time, sometimes I am pity I gave up from Win XP 64, there are some small things it is so much powerful than the Windows7 and faster on some windows apps. OH WELL, that is life we are always trying to improve things but sometimes we just lose some to get some other. I started to run Win7 because of Donate.

As you all know I don't know much about computers so I am always trying new things, nothing is forbidden to me, I AM A FREE CRUNCHER.

I am the Crazy Duke. :D

trigggl
03-18-13, 07:04 PM
As you all know I don't know much about computers so I am always trying new things, nothing is forbidden to me, I AM A FREE CRUNCHER.

I am the Crazy Duke. :D

Someone who is always trying something new must know something. The more you try, the more you know.

Slicker
03-20-13, 12:35 PM
Someone who is always trying something new must know something. The more you try, the more you know.

And even more if you try and fail. It has been proven we learn far more from our failures than from our successes, so by my calculations and from all the mistakes I've made, it shouldn't be long before I have learned everything there is to know.

STE\/E
03-20-13, 04:12 PM
so by my calculations and from all the mistakes I've made, it shouldn't be long before I have learned everything there is to know.

Then you will know almost as much as me ... http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing001.gif ... ;)

Duke of Buckingham
04-04-13, 07:43 AM
Microsoft Tools for VMware Integration & Migration Jump Start

Microsoft Tools for VMware Integration & Migration is the third course in a series of three designed for IT professionals who need to manage, monitor and automate VMware in their datacenter using System Center 2012 SP1. The earlier courses are listed below in the related courses section.

https://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com/training-courses/tools-for-vmware-intgrtn-mgrtn?CR_CC=200206371

Modules
01 | Manage VMware with SC2012 SP1 Virtual Machine Manager
9 Points - Level 300
02 | Monitor VMware with SC2012 SP1 Operations Manager & Vee...
9 Points - Level 300
03 | Automate VMware with SC2012 SP1 Orchestrator
9 Points - Level 300
04 | Migrate VMware VMs using Microsoft Virtual Machine Conv...
9 Points - Level 300
Recommended Resources & Next Steps for VMware
5 Points - Level 200

Than you will know much more than me. :o

Crazy Duke