PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Memory...

STMahlberg
12-26-10, 08:22 PM
I'm looking for advice on RAM. Everyone seems to be making memory chips now-a-days, some seem extremely inexpensive that I have to wonder about how well they are built and will preform; on the other end of the spectrum... horribly over priced for fancy cooling fins.

I'm interested in your opinions and experiences, what make do you recommend and what's with timing speed I see on these things now?

Fire$torm
12-26-10, 11:58 PM
I'm looking for advice on RAM. Everyone seems to be making memory chips now-a-days, some seem extremely inexpensive that I have to wonder about how well they are built and will preform; on the other end of the spectrum... horribly over priced for fancy cooling fins.

I'm interested in your opinions and experiences, what make do you recommend and what's with timing speed I see on these things now?

There is a growing problem with memory not being compatible between systems. Your best bet is to use memory from the list of recommendations from the motherboard/system manufacturer.
Personally I am a fanboy of Corsair memory because I have never had any problems with that brand. JPM swears by Mushkin.
Anyhow go by the list first and then check reviews from reputable sites that have tested your MB/system and you should do well.

STMahlberg
12-27-10, 12:41 AM
There is a growing problem with memory not being compatible between systems. Your best bet is to use memory from the list of recommendations from the motherboard/system manufacturer.
Personally I am a fanboy of Corsair memory because I have never had any problems with that brand. JPM swears by Mushkin.
Anyhow go by the list first and then check reviews from reputable sites that have tested your MB/system and you should do well.

Thank you Fire$torm.

Edit:
I like Corsair myself; in fact that is what I just ordered. I checked the recommend sheet and found a bunch listed and the Corsair DDR3 1333 was one of them, so I just ordered that... it was $15 off too. But I can't believe that I forgot to go through eBates to order... dang, that and my PSU that I ordered, that would have been like $10 I could have gotten back.

Oh well, there are still more parts to order for The Annihilatrix. :)

Maxwell
12-27-10, 01:21 AM
Oh well, there are still more parts to order for The Annihilatrix. :)
Keep on ordering. I'm already thinking of how I can justify another system for myself...

STMahlberg
12-27-10, 02:12 AM
Keep on ordering. I'm already thinking of how I can justify another system for myself...

LOL :)

The competition thing aside, which I'm having a lot of fun with, I swear, I've got the bug; I've been thinking about duplicating this system but I don't even know how well this is going to run when I'm done.

I can cash out 168 hours of vacation each year and I'm figuring I can probably build either (2) high-end rigs, (3) mid-range rigs or (5) low-end rigs every year. How sick it that?!

And I'm still batting around the idea of building a 12 core server. I must be out of my mind. :)

Fire$torm
12-27-10, 06:34 AM
LOL :)

The competition thing aside, which I'm having a lot of fun with, I swear, I've got the bug; I've been thinking about duplicating this system but I don't even know how well this is going to run when I'm done.

I can cash out 168 hours of vacation each year and I'm figuring I can probably build either (2) high-end rigs, (3) mid-range rigs or (5) low-end rigs every year. How sick it that?!

And I'm still batting around the idea of building a 12 core server. I must be out of my mind. :)

I suggest you visit this thread --> You know you've Boinc'ed too much (http://setiusa.free-dc.org/vbforum/showthread.php?394-You-know-you-ve-Boinc-ed-too-much) and then come and join the new support group I'm starting called Boincers Anonymous.

STMahlberg
12-27-10, 10:16 AM
I suggest you visit this thread --> You know you've Boinc'ed too much (http://setiusa.free-dc.org/vbforum/showthread.php?394-You-know-you-ve-Boinc-ed-too-much) and then come and join the new support group I'm starting called Boincers Anonymous.

Hi, my name is Steve and I'm a Boincaholic. ;)

bmwr606
12-28-10, 05:32 PM

hi, my name is scott and i am a boincaholic :p

Fire$torm
12-28-10, 09:18 PM

hi, my name is scott and i am a boincaholic :p

Group: Hello Steve. Hello Scott. [Applause]

Maxwell
12-29-10, 04:25 AM
I can stop any time I want!!!

vaio
12-29-10, 04:40 AM
I can stop any time I want!!!.......to install the latest upgrade :D

Duke of Buckingham
04-09-13, 09:15 AM
I have a confession, I am a postaholic but I can stop in any time I want ...

Just one more ... please.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8237/8451371547_79211e692e_z.jpg