PDA

View Full Version : What PG subprojects pay the most credits these days?

NJCaNS
12-27-10, 03:41 AM
Does anyone know? Or are they all the same?
Personally I'm most interested in CPU based credits.

Maxwell
12-27-10, 03:55 AM
Aside from PG challenges, and now the CUDA app, I haven't crunched PG for credits in quite a while (and when I did, it was on the PS3).

All I know is that Sieve projects pay better, 64-bit OSs are better for Sieve projects, but you won't find Primes with them.

NJCaNS
12-28-10, 12:17 AM
Aside from PG challenges, and now the CUDA app, I haven't crunched PG for credits in quite a while (and when I did, it was on the PS3).

All I know is that Sieve projects pay better, 64-bit OSs are better for Sieve projects, but you won't find Primes with them.I asked because I got the feeling from posts that Aqua pays the best for CPU work but suspect now PG does. And if it does I was curious if there was a difference in sub-projects.
The driving force was if total RAC/credits is a goal then what can a CPU cruncher do to maximize credits.

DrPop
12-28-10, 11:37 AM
Good question, NJ. Is there any *easy* way to compare credits on CPU projects? I wonder about that new PG project, for example - how it compares to AQUA.

Fire$torm
12-28-10, 01:15 PM
Good question, NJ. Is there any *easy* way to compare credits on CPU projects? I wonder about that new PG project, for example - how it compares to AQUA.

Nope. No EASY way. I was thinking about this question earlier and from my way of thinking it would require a fairly large spreadsheet. To give you an idea of the scale required, take a look at this Prime95 CPU Benchmark listing. (http://v5www.mersenne.org/report_benchmarks/) I am willing to give it a shot but it would probably take several months of work.

vaio
12-28-10, 01:43 PM
Also highly variable depending on which type of wu's are available for a given app at any given time...that and credit adjustments: Aqua being a prime example.

Best just follow the buzz on the net if stats are your thing.

Mumps
12-28-10, 09:58 PM
Well, you could always start with

http://boincstats.com/stats/project_cpcs.php

But that ignores the sub-projects or GPU effects. They all just get lumped together.

Interesting to click on one of the cross-sections though and see the historical graph of CPU points. Like PG versus Aqua for example.

Fire$torm
12-29-10, 12:14 AM
Well, you could always start with

http://boincstats.com/stats/project_cpcs.php

But that ignores the sub-projects or GPU effects. They all just get lumped together.

Interesting to click on one of the cross-sections though and see the historical graph of CPU points. Like PG versus Aqua for example.

Thank you Mumps for the link. I will give it a look see.

Fire$torm
12-29-10, 12:34 AM
OK, I have seen that page before Mumps. Unfortunately, I cannot make use of that info for what I would like to do. I believe that page averages credit production across all CPUs. But now I know that kind of info is available within BOINC. I will have to talk to Bok and anyone on our team that knows how to grab the raw data.

NJCaNS
12-29-10, 01:44 AM
It wasn't a question to trigger a months long research project, unless that's what floats your boat of course. It's just that it seems PG increased their credits recently, unless that's just an artifact of the GPU subproject used in the last challenge. Knowing sieves are worth a bit more is good enough for me for the next few days until I kick into a new set of goals for the new year.

Slicker
12-30-10, 02:53 PM
Does anyone know? Or are they all the same?
Personally I'm most interested in CPU based credits.

For 64-bit machines:
PPS (pays even better than AQUA!)
321 Sieve (backup choice since it pays about 1/8th of what PPS pays)

I don't run it on my 32-bit boxes since the WUs take too long to complete and/or I can get better credit with the old slow non-HT P4s elsewhere.