PDA

View Full Version : Hot GPU and reboots

trigggl
04-03-13, 01:04 AM
A few quick questions.

Would an overheating GPU cause a PC (linux) to reboot?

For Collatz, if it's causing a cuda card to overheat, would that be more attributable to memory or processor clock? Wondering if I need to reduce one of them.

That GTX 465 sure does run hot. It's currently at 78 C and 50% fan. Time to adjust the bios to bump up the fan speed.

STE\/E
04-03-13, 02:18 AM
A few quick questions.

Would an overheating GPU cause a PC (linux) to reboot?

For Collatz, if it's causing a cuda card to overheat, would that be more attributable to memory or processor clock? Wondering if I need to reduce one of them.

That GTX 465 sure does run hot. It's currently at 78 C and 50% fan. Time to adjust the bios to bump up the fan speed.

A GPU that gets to hot most definitly can cause a PC to Reboot, I've seen it happen on my Box's if I forget to bump the Fan speed back up it I start using the GPU ...

John P. Myers
04-03-13, 02:52 PM
What STE\/E said. Also the 400 series is notorious for running hotter than it ought to. Had to keep my 460 on Poem since everything else ran so hot it kept me worried all the time.

cineon_lut
10-19-13, 03:33 AM
A GPU that gets to hot most definitly can cause a PC to Reboot, I've seen it happen on my Box's if I forget to bump the Fan speed back up it I start using the GPU ...

What is considered hot? All my gpus run at 70 degrees C. Should I find a way to bump up the fan speeds?

Vic (mobile)

E-30
10-19-13, 03:50 AM
well i would try to keep them under 70 C if you can

Fire$torm
10-19-13, 05:49 AM
65~75C is fine. Depends as much on how cooler your intake air is. My room is is warmer then the rest of the house so my desktop GPUs run hotter then the ones in my other systems.

Al
10-19-13, 08:49 AM
I really depends on the GPU, but in general (living in North Carolina,) I don't really worry about it until I start getting errors. If I did, I wouldn't run my gpus all summer. If I had to pick a number for me, I start watching it a bit more when it gets to 85c. If you're struggling with heat you can also change projects. Certain projects run hotter, MW, PG Fermat, etc., while Einstein and Poem run relatively cool. Poem can knock 20c off of temps, mostly because it uses a ton of cpu. You can also downclock your memory on some projects. MW doesn't seem to care about memory speed, while Collatz likes fast memory IIRC.

Also, it's not always the temps you see that you need to worry about. I have a 5970 thats core temp can be in the acceptable range, but the back set of VRMs are starting to fry. Bryan tells me it was a bad design...he's right.

trigggl
10-19-13, 10:56 AM
Just as an fyi, The GTX 465 may run hot, but it wasn't the cause of the reboots and it works just fine. Also, unlike GTX 460s, you can't change the fan speeds in the bios.

The cause of the reboots was overclocking and I believe that the weak link was the G.Skill Ram I'm using. It works just fine at the spec range, but can't be overclocked at all.

Bryan
10-19-13, 12:34 PM
I'm out of date on running GPUs, but it used to be that on projects like MW, Moo, PG you could drop the Memory clock WAY DOWN and not affect throughput/credits. The BIG exception to that was Collatz where memory speed is very important. I used to drop my 5870 memory clocks down to 625 MHz which definitely helped on the heat issue.

cineon_lut
10-19-13, 12:50 PM
I'm out of date on running GPUs, but it used to be that on projects like MW, Moo, PG you could drop the Memory clock WAY DOWN and not affect throughput/credits. The BIG exception to that was Collatz where memory speed is very important. I used to drop my 5870 memory clocks down to 625 MHz which definitely helped on the heat issue.

Great advice. I will keep that in mind. Sounds like some good tests to run with my new gpus!

Vic (mobile)

kmanley57
10-20-13, 10:20 AM
GPU's are usually rated up to about 95C but I try to keep them below 80C if at all possible. I myself have a machine that the Ram can not run faster than 3.6Ghz, but it can run up to 3.8Ghz un-overclocked. But it is the machine I was seeing the spiking AMD CPU core temps on early this year, so I expected it to have issues! :(

If I push the clock speed it WILL randomly reboot, faster if running Windows, but still will running Linux just far less often.

Slicker
10-21-13, 07:08 PM
Yep. I have two HD3870's (yes, really old) and you can't control the fan on them via CCC. Haven't tried other software. In summer one of them tends to overheat and reboot. That's the one with the 20" box fan blowing on the open case. Problem solved. Now if I could only route the excess heat to the water heater....