PDA

View Full Version : How many people are actually crinching daily?

Clank [MM]
04-05-13, 01:50 PM
While I was gone my RAC was 0 but my position based on RAC was 50,000 and DROPPING. If it was 0 and dropping does that mean there are only 50,000 crunchers?

Damn, I typed that from my phone. Crinching - Ha

Slicker
04-05-13, 01:59 PM
;58215']While I was gone my RAC was 0 but my position based on RAC was 50,000 and DROPPING. If it was 0 and dropping does that mean there are only 50,000 crunchers?

Welcome back to the party. The number of volunteers leaving BOINC has been a concern of late. DA thinks sending emails asking them to return is the way to go. Personally, I think that between the cost of running 24/7 and cooling costs in addition, that the economy has a lot to do with it. On the other hand, given that most projects have no real results to show doesn't help. Let's face it, unless someone finds a way to dye midgets, SETI will never find little green men. In addition, BOINC's direction is wandering. Running on Android phones is a priority when the scheduler doesn't balance across projects well and some resources sit idle and won't even ask for work? I don't know if there are only 50K crunchers left, but the numbers are dwindling.

John P. Myers
04-05-13, 10:12 PM
I crunch daily, but not all day. Only 6 to 12 hours a day usually, though i used to crunch 24/7 and will be crunching 24/7 again next month once i get my new place. Will also be bringing another computer online.

DrPop
04-06-13, 02:24 AM
I wonder if BOK's database could give us the actual total number of machines reporting results on any given day to Free-DC? Would that work or is it more complicated than that? Perhaps if not everyone has a daily 'Net connection, you could take an average of so many days?

Duke of Buckingham
04-06-13, 03:48 AM
I wonder if BOK's database could give us the actual total number of machines reporting results on any given day to Free-DC? Would that work or is it more complicated than that? Perhaps if not everyone has a daily 'Net connection, you could take an average of so many days?

That should depend on the projects also. More times than I would like the projects are not available with the servers not uploading/downloading or giving credits for the WUs made. Maybe a week update would be more to trust than a daily update. Seti that is a project for the small crunching for the team is out on a regular basis.