PDA

View Full Version : Using Multiple GPU's

Crazybob
04-07-13, 11:43 PM
Having a brain fart. Finally got my big box up and running after spending more than 20 hours this weekend screwing with it. Hint, don't trust a HD that tests good, but looks like it has Alzthheimers. :( got BOINC going, but system is only using 1 of the GPU's. where is the setting to use multiple? Can't seem to find it.

kmanley57
04-08-13, 05:06 AM
cc_config.xml:

<use_all_gpus>1</use_all_gpus>

Link to guide:

http://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/Client_configuration#Options

Crazybob
04-08-13, 09:18 PM
Haven't done this in a while. Here is what I put in there, but it doesn't accept it.

<cc_config>
</cc_config>

Any clues to fix it?

John P. Myers
04-08-13, 09:26 PM
Haven't done this in a while. Here is what I put in there, but it doesn't accept it.

<cc_config>
</cc_config>

Any clues to fix it?Should be:

<cc_config>
<options>
</options>
</cc_config>

Crazybob
04-09-13, 08:29 AM
Should be:

<cc_config>
<options>
</options>
</cc_config>

Thanks John! I'll try this out at lunch time.:)

Crazybob
04-09-13, 01:39 PM
All good now. Thanks again!

krazy k
04-11-13, 09:17 AM
I might be having the same problem. I ended up with two nvidia gpus in a system and can't get the second gpu online.

I miss my 6.10.60 version boinc that has the messages tab because that way you can at least see that it doesn't recognize your gpu, but I digress.

Here's what I've done. New install win 7 x86, boinc 7.0.28, nvidia drivers 314.22(installed after both cards were powered up). I have the cc_config copied from my other machine that has two cards running so I know that isn't the issue. I have a dvi-vga adapter with the resistors in it, windows is running two displays, actually three, so one of the outputs on the second card has to be active.

I don't think that I've ever run 32bit win7 so maybe there is a caveat somewhere that I am unaware of, but any help to get this online will help.

Thanks.

Crazybob
04-11-13, 09:47 AM
You can still open the messages, by going to one of the tabs on top and clicking on event log. That should show you the message that one gpu is being used and the other not. Also, you can DL GPU-Z to show you whether both your cards are being recognized. Since you are already running a CC_Config file, just make sure you put it in the directory with the Projects in it. If you have a new install of WIN7, you will need to have the view hidden files and folders checked off. Go to My Computer, Tools, Folder options and then the view tab. You can then see the Program Data directory where the BOINC directory is located. If that isn't the case, go to the project site for the one you are running and look under the project preferences under your account to see if they have the option there to use multiple GPU's. Just some suggestions here. Hope one of them helps.

kmanley57
04-11-13, 10:00 AM
I have a dvi-vga adapter with the resistors in it, windows is running two displays, actually three, so one of the outputs on the second card has to be active.

NVidia cards really do not need the termination load to work, just ATI/AMD. I was running a dual NVidia card machine up to a month ago when I fried the Primary GPU card, and all I had hooked up was the one monitor to see what Windows did. That and to set all the no-sleep and use this monitor/card messages I needed to set. YMMV

krazy k
04-11-13, 10:46 AM
The config file is in the C:\ProgramData\BOINC directory, just as it is on my other machine. The the projects folder is in there as well, so I don't think that that is the issue. I wouldn't think it's the sleeping issue since one card is running and one isn't. I'll try that though. One gpu is using 61% of a core so two would consume all of one and part of the second core. Is there something that won't allow you to use over half of the cores?

Edit: Never sleep. Never display off. No dice.

Crazybob
04-11-13, 10:57 AM
Depending on your version of BOINC, you will need to find the preferences under one of the tabs at the top. In the pop-up window, the first tab should be Processor usage. Near the bottom, you can tell it to use whatever percentage you want. So on an 8 core system, using 75% leaves 2 processors free for the GPU's.

Crazybob
04-11-13, 10:59 AM
Guess we should have asked earlier, but which GPU project are you doing? :)

krazy k
04-11-13, 11:24 AM
Guess we should have asked earlier, but which GPU project are you doing? :)

I have it set to use 100% of the processoers 100% of the time.

It's on Dirt with the same preferences for the machine that is running both gpus.

Which is making this real strange. Other that different hardware the machines are identically set up, save for the 64 vs 32. If I didn't have to deal with comcast adding things to my bill, my lost amazon package, my broken windshield, flat tire, and burned out headlight, and now 6 inches of snow I would have time to switch the cards between the machines to replicate this.

c303a
04-11-13, 11:43 AM
Just out of curiosity have you gone to the advanced tab and told BOINC to "read config file?

krazy k
04-11-13, 12:03 PM
Just out of curiosity have you gone to the advanced tab and told BOINC to "read config file?

I do that after every change but haven't seen anything different. I've restarted BOINC quite a few times too; just to be sure. I could fire up the VPN and give you guys a chance to look at it yourselves. I'll send some beer to whomever can figure it out.

Other projects are also only seeing just the one. It has to be something so easy that I'm missing. Maybe I'll try that E=MCHammered thing tonight.

zombie67
04-11-13, 12:47 PM
You aren't using the built in windows version of VNC are you? That is not compatible with BOINC GPU crunching. You have to use a real VNC client like ultravnc, or a proprietary version like TeamViewer.

kmanley57
04-11-13, 12:57 PM
Question:

What does it say at the top of the Event Log about the GPU/S? Does it only show the one or give any errors?

And does it say "Config: use all coprocessors"?

krazy k
04-11-13, 01:08 PM
You aren't using the built in windows version of VNC are you? That is not compatible with BOINC GPU crunching. You have to use a real VNC client like ultravnc, or a proprietary version like TeamViewer.

No. My gateway was a build in VPN. I would have like to get a WatchGuard, but it's tough to spend that much for stuff that's in the 'just for fun' column.

krazy k
04-11-13, 01:10 PM
Question:

What does it say at the top of the Event Log about the GPU/S? Does it only show the one or give any errors?

And does it say "Config: use all coprocessors"?

Yup.

Fire$torm
04-11-13, 03:31 PM
.........I miss my 6.10.60 version boinc that has the messages tab because that way you can at least see that it doesn't recognize your gpu, but I digress.

IIRC try Ctrl + Alt + E to show the Messages Window.

Not to insult you but double check the PCI-E power cables that connect to your GPUs. (I've forgotten to reconnect those on more then one occasion).

Also try
*If cards are not the same model series, install the more recent model in PCI-E slot closest to CPU
*Win7 is flaky, period. Although you shouldn't need to, try extending the desktop to the 2nd GPU. I had one mixed GPU setup awhile back that needed this to get CUDA work.
*Double check all the tags in you cc_config file. Just to be sure.
*nVidia drivers may be corrupt. Uninstall via Windows program manager, reboot into safe-mode and run Driver Sweeper, then run CCleaner, reboot into normal desktop and reinstall nVidia drivers.

krazy k
04-11-13, 05:35 PM
I can't do anything else from work. I'll try some of the physical stuff when I get home tonight. Thanks so far. I wouldn't imagine it being out of this world that the card is bad.

kmanley57
04-11-13, 05:37 PM
*Win7 is flaky, period. Although you shouldn't need to, try extending the desktop to the 2nd GPU.

I did have to do this in Vista to get it to use both my NVidia cards! It did not enable the card otherwise. So look and see if you have a Desktop showing on both cards outputs.

krazy k
04-11-13, 05:47 PM
I did have to do this in Vista to get it to use both my NVidia cards! It did not enable the card otherwise. So look and see if you have a Desktop showing on both cards outputs.

Extending or mirroring should do the same thing I would think, but I'll make sure it's set to Extend and then move the monitor to the second card.

Just as I thought. The system isn't posting with the card. Just as it would get to the part where it would say testing NVRAM it hangs when this card is the only one in the system. It will boot fine with the one I've had, but as far as I'm concerned this is a craigslist dud.

Crazybob
04-12-13, 08:01 PM
Sorry to hear that.:( Well I guess the next step is to find a replacement that goes faster?:) Good luck, I hope you can find one.