PDA

View Full Version : I am back.... but

Mr. Hankey
12-29-10, 09:11 PM
I find out my main dual gpu rig went BSOD on me Dec 24th... reboot and ... disk I/O error not good. BIOS is reporting this is a S.M.A.R.T. drive but not responding to commands, and the rescue disk sees the drive sometimes and not others.

So I have actually managed to get the system booted again (typing from it now). I have ordered a replacement hard drive and am taking a system image backup now. If I make it through this successfully I will be surely surprised. Friday the drive gets here.

DrPop
12-29-10, 10:45 PM
Ouch! Hopefully it isn't out for long...this hobby never ceases to amaze me...and I thought being a gamera was hard on gear! $-)

EDIT: Joker, that is hilarious. Who would have thought a typo would be a real thing? ;) Should have read "gamer" in that sentence, sorry!

joker
12-29-10, 10:58 PM
and I thought being a "gamera" was hard on gear! Like the giant flying turtle? :-B Google it. :p

Mr. Hankey
12-29-10, 11:08 PM
Ouch! Hopefully it isn't out for long...this hobby never ceases to amaze me...and I thought being a gamera was hard on gear! $-)

I do both... hehe.

Well the damaged drive was successfully imaged now I just have to get through the D: drive without the system going BSOD or locking up and I should be golden. I am actually fairly impressed with the drive backup options that come default with windows 7.

Mr. Hankey
01-01-11, 12:35 AM
It is all fixed. I am actually surprised that this feature of windows 7 worked as I would have hoped it would. I was able to create a full block copy of both of my hard disks to a NAS box on my network. When I installed my new HD I was then able to restore the OS completely over the network using the previously taken HD images. The new drive was larger than the old failed drive and once windows came up I just extended the partition. There were some features that I would have liked such as only having to image and restore the C: drive and not both the C: and D: drive since there was nothing wrong with D: But hey for not having a backup before the HW issues and saving my bacon it was damn good enough.

computer is now back crunching dnetc and aqua that was previously down since the 24th.