PDA

View Full Version : Pirates has work!

Crazybob
12-31-10, 02:29 PM
Got some today!:)

Mumps
12-31-10, 03:02 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I see a few of my machines got work, but most did not.

And as always, be careful about whacking that "Update" button as Pirates doesn't like that. :)

Dandasarge
12-31-10, 03:38 PM
I got some :)

Sarge104
12-31-10, 05:46 PM
Big negative for my towers request for WU...Oh, well, gotta give it a break till the next challenge anyway. :P

krackedpress
01-01-11, 10:37 AM
Got some today!:)
Well it is about time!
<:-P :-bd\:D/
I have two machines running at this point and it looks
like I am getting 2 at a time on my quad core [running PG
till I get my 1 million credits soon], and one at a time on
my dual core [running DNETC since PG runs too hot for it].
I was holding at 1253 credits since October, but now at about
1335 since the last BOINC manager update. That is not many
credits since I joind Pirates in July of '09.

There is still a lot of communication deffered for this project, though.

NJCaNS
01-01-11, 05:38 PM
Since it's a new year and the join date looks cool, I joined Pirates :ar! today and got a few WU's. If it'll keep spitting out work I'll hook in a few other PC's.

Fogle
01-02-11, 01:23 PM
I've been getting some WU's on my PC's recently, just pushed past 1000. Now if only orbit would start sending work.

trigggl
01-03-11, 07:07 AM
I don't think I'll ever make it to 10k on pirates, but I guess I can go for 1k. One kay at a time I guess.

NJCaNS
01-03-11, 09:10 AM
I don't think I'll ever make it to 10k on pirates, but I guess I can go for 1k. One kay at a time I guess.Do it for the team. ARG!!

Work is so sporadic on this project and given out so slowly (only a few at a time as in no caching) therefore hard to get that everyone should attach to the project to get a few WU's. When asked for the project URL, enter: http://pirates.spy-hill.net/

SG is 1K up on us on RAC and we're in first by only 20K but we're almost 600K from a valuable 1 million Mega Milestone. So get em while they're there.:!!

Mumps, what's your secret to getting so many credits? Sheer number of PC's? If one had a virtual setup on their PC they could run Pirates there and get more WU's?

Dandasarge
01-03-11, 02:45 PM
Anything can run Pirates! The workunits are tiny. 5-10m and work is RARE! if you don't have it Please for the love of the team set it up :)

Mumps
01-03-11, 07:41 PM
Do it for the team. ARG!!

Work is so sporadic on this project and given out so slowly (only a few at a time as in no caching) therefore hard to get that everyone should attach to the project to get a few WU's. When asked for the project URL, enter: http://pirates.spy-hill.net/

SG is 1K up on us on RAC and we're in first by only 20K but we're almost 600K from a valuable 1 million Mega Milestone. So get em while they're there.:!!

Mumps, what's your secret to getting so many credits? Sheer number of PC's? If one had a virtual setup on their PC they could run Pirates there and get more WU's?

Sadly enough, yes, sheer numbers. I currently have 56 hosts participating in Pirates. No VM's though, but my guess is that would indeed work. I just powered up one of the VM's I had hanging around and it happily grabbed itself a Pirates task. Not a surprise to me seeing as 90% of my hosts are behind the same firewall, and would show as the same IP address. And there's 3 main groups of those that would all be matching O/S and hardware.

NJCaNS
01-06-11, 12:24 AM
Bumping
SG is now out RAC'ing us by 2K a day and we're going to lose one of our #1 within a day.

Big crunchers can't carry this one since the project strictly limits how much work a PC can get a day. As Mumps confirmed, this takes sheer number of PC's. The work units are very small and quick. Most of the time it's waiting to get new WU's. By my estimate only about 1% of my daily CPU potential gets used by Pirates with the rest of the CPU time of the PC going to it's usual work.

Point is, everyone should add Pirates while it has work so we can keep pace with SG on this project.

DrPop
01-06-11, 01:40 AM
I just added 3 hosts for you...probably will suck because it gave me 1 WU. Yay... :p But I did it for the team...and NJ! ;) hehe

EDIT: Yeah, that was a real winner there. Chewed through my first one in 3 mins, and then it doesn't have anymore WUs for me. Nice. Well, I suppose my rig will mainly be crunching AQUA here, but I'll leave Pirates on just in case any decide to show up for a good swashbuckling time...

Mumps
01-06-11, 06:53 AM
Yup. Pirates is a very low resource project. You'll get, at most, 1 WU per core that will run in minutes, but then the project insists on a 1 hour delay before it will give you more work. And if you hit the update button, no matter where you are in the 1 hour, it's backed off for a full hour from that point. So no updating (especially auto-updating) for this project!

trigggl
01-06-11, 11:01 AM
This is a project we should be doing well in since it's suggested in so many places. People might have it suspended still from the last Primegrid challenge.

NJCaNS
01-06-11, 11:17 AM
Yup. Pirates is a very low resource project. You'll get, at most, 1 WU per core that will run in minutes, but then the project insists on a 1 hour delay before it will give you more work. And if you hit the update button, no matter where you are in the 1 hour, it's backed off for a full hour from that point. So no updating (especially auto-updating) for this project!Good info on having to wait at least 1 hour to get new work. I think my aut update is set real low to catch LCH work. I'll bump it up to .05 which should get me updates every 1.2 hours (if my math and understanding of this is correct).

Seems to be 1 WU per core but I have had 4 WU's at once on a dual but not on a quad that I'm aware of yet.

Slicker
01-06-11, 06:53 PM
Got 250 credits yesterday. 12 hosts added today. Almost half way to a 10K milestone!

krackedpress
01-06-11, 09:21 PM
Got 250 credits yesterday. 12 hosts added today. Almost half way to a 10K milestone!

I onlly get 2 WUs at a time on my Quad, and then it seems that I get only one set every hour and most time less, till I got the message this morning that there were no more work.

On 12-30 I had about 1255, and since yesterday I have 1699. 193 tasks on this quad and 35 on the dual laptop that is not crunching any more. My RAC is about 35.

zombie67
01-06-11, 10:58 PM
Yep. That's the way it works. Only a couple tasks at a time. Updates take 60 minutes. Hitting the update button early resets the clock. So NO TOUCHY.

And yeah, they are out of work. Probably for a while. They come in batches every several months.

NJCaNS
01-07-11, 01:27 AM
Keel-haul the lubber! :ar! We were just getting up to full sail. Now we're sitting in the doldrums 1.5K behind SG. :(( Hope they don't blow their ballast. :-ss[-O<

DrBob
01-07-11, 07:31 AM
Keel-haul the lubber! :ar! We were just getting up to full sail. Now we're sitting in the doldrums 1.5K behind SG. :(( Hope they don't blow their ballast. :-ss[-O<Yeah, we worked hard to get that #1 a while back (as with a few other projects) and have now just let it slip away. I don’t expect the Pirates work to last much longer this round so unless a crapload of machines get attached for our team SG will maintain their new #1 position.
Not sure why members keep detaching or set clients to no new work on this project :mad:, short WUs and doesn’t noticeably effect production on other projects. Once we reached the top it was basically a no brainer to stay there, just keep attached and crunch the rare WUs when they appear. Sadly we dropped the ball as many machines are no longer attached or were set to not ask for work during the latest WU drought on the project.

Congrats to SETI.Germany for keeping their eye on the ball, well done. :)

Dandasarge
01-07-11, 09:09 AM
Yes I've even added it to my GF laptop now, and that's a nogo area. I caught some hell but she didn't delete it! I should pickup 2 more computers this afternoon.

Fire$torm
01-01-12, 08:45 PM
Just got some!

krackedpress
01-02-12, 01:34 PM
Just got some!

I got 1 then there were no more work.
An hour later I got 3 more in my queue.
I am running them now - suspended the other projects to get Pirates running.
Well, they just finished and there is no more work again.

I have Pirates listed as 1000 [28.57%] for resource share with the others at 100 [2.86%]. That is 26 project total with most set up as "Won't get new tasks". I wish to see Orbits geting some work as well, but Pirates is great. I have 1746.xx credits so far since July 2009.

At "http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=boinc_status", after last page reload, Pirates has 8 tasks with 2529 out for processing. But there is no work for my Linux/Ubuntu machine.

Hopefully there will be more.

trigggl
01-02-12, 01:48 PM
I got 1 then there were no more work.
An hour later I got 3 more in my queue.
I am running them now - suspended the other projects to get Pirates running.
Well, they just finished and there is no more work again.

I have Pirates listed as 1000 [28.57%] for resource share with the others at 100 [2.86%]. That is 26 project total with most set up as "Won't get new tasks". I wish to see Orbits geting some work as well, but Pirates is great. I have 1746.xx credits so far since July 2009.

At "http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=boinc_status", after last page reload, Pirates has 8 tasks with 2529 out for processing. But there is no work for my Linux/Ubuntu machine.

Hopefully there will be more.

You can only get tasks once an hour. Don't suspend your other projects. At the very least, set their resource share to 0.

STE\/E
01-03-12, 06:56 AM
You can only get tasks once an hour. Don't suspend your other projects. At the very least, set their resource share to 0.

They have a 1 Hour Backoff because people were running Scripts to hog all the Wu', now if you manually Update the Project before the Hour is up you won't get any work plus your re-set to 1 Hour afgain before you can get any more work.

krackedpress
01-03-12, 08:42 AM
They have a 1 Hour Backoff because people were running Scripts to hog all the Wu', now if you manually Update the Project before the Hour is up you won't get any work plus your re-set to 1 Hour afgain before you can get any more work.

I suspended the other projects to get the Pirates WUs to work then, and not wait for the others to finish up. Once they start running, I resume the projects.

I set Pirates to a 1000 resource share with the other projects at 100. I was told that would help with getting Pirates with a full queue of other projects. Full meaning 1/2 to 3/4 of a day worth of WUs to run.

I just updated the "amount" of work from .25 days to 2 days. Maybe it would give me more than 1 WU per core each time I see it in my queue.

EDIT:
Just got 2 more WUs.
Do they always take about a minute to run [or is it just doing that now]?

http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=boinc_status
is still showing the same figure of 8 WUs available, as it did the last time I posted a reply to this thread [above].

Slicker
01-03-12, 11:07 AM
Yep. They don't do much of anything. The project is mainly to test new server and client features. They have (had?) really good documentation on setting up a project (http://www.spy-hill.net/~myers/help/boinc/Create_Project.html#server) which I believe was also a reason for the project generating WUs at times. Now I think they just enable it once in a while for kicks. There is almost always work on April Fools Day and "Act like a pirate day".

trigggl
01-03-12, 08:16 PM

The current tasks are the "yello" ones. If you click the graphic button while they're running, you'll get a window that is Yellow.

PS. The graphic works in Linux.

Dandasarge
01-03-12, 10:15 PM
I jumped up and down and ran to the internet as soon as i seen the WU's! glad to see someone posted

kheinicken
01-04-12, 09:20 PM
Got me some!

krackedpress
01-05-12, 10:26 AM
The current tasks are the "yello" ones. If you click the graphic button while they're running, you'll get a window that is Yellow.

PS. The graphic works in Linux.

Graphics Button? I have Ubuntu and do not know about a graphics button.

Crazybob
02-20-13, 02:53 PM
It was brought to my attention from one of our friends on the China team that Pirates is requiring an invite code to join. I found this in their forum and at least the first one worked for our friend. If you are in need of a code, try one of these. blunderbuss and !grog4U .

trigggl
02-20-13, 04:28 PM
It was brought to my attention from one of our friends on the China team that Pirates is requiring an invite code to join. I found this in their forum and at least the first one worked for our friend. If you are in need of a code, try one of these. blunderbuss and !grog4U .

Are they actually sending out work? I assume persons who have already created an account are still good to go?

I hate it when multiple dormant projects come back to life at the same time. :-t

STE\/E
02-20-13, 04:35 PM
None that I know of, I haven't been getting any ...

zombie67
02-20-13, 06:19 PM
Server status shows it is down. I can't even re-attach my machines.

STE\/E
02-21-13, 03:51 AM
Server status shows it is down. I can't even re-attach my machines.

I Attached the only Box I didn't have Attached last night, you using the right URL ??? http://pirates.spy-hill.net/

zombie67
02-21-13, 09:02 AM
I Attached the only Box I didn't have Attached last night, you using the right URL ??? http://pirates.spy-hill.net/

Are you sure they are really attached? When I try to attach, they still show as just the URL on the projects tab. Not the actual project name. Means they aren't really attached yet.

STE\/E
02-21-13, 09:31 AM
Yeah your right, the Box is just showing up as a URL waiting to Attach, all the rest of my Box's are Attached though ...

Crazybob
02-21-13, 12:23 PM
As far as I know, there is no new work. Since we promote the project, I thought it was stupid if you couldn't attach to the project. Hopefully they will have something soon.

Duke of Buckingham
02-21-13, 06:00 PM
I think I had one task once when I was at Sici. Never more had or could crunch the project, I detached from the project but will reattach if I have any chance of making at least one task.

John P. Myers
10-15-13, 09:05 PM
Get your Pirates work while it lasts! :ar!

Edit: This is the Hello app.
Times are 7 seconds on an i5-2500K at stock speed, 6 seconds on an i7-3770K at 4.1GHz.

Sarge104
10-16-13, 01:13 AM
Get your Pirates work while it lasts! :ar!

Edit: This is the Hello app.
Times are 7 seconds on an i5-2500K at stock speed, 6 seconds on an i7-3770K at 4.1GHz.

LOL! Speed is such a factor! I just wish they would do a challenge to see how much we could crunch in a day...those numbers would be amazing!

FourOh
09-25-14, 05:32 PM
This is my first experience with Pirates - last year I joined but never could get any work. Interesting project... may take a while to get to 5000 hours though!

Sarge104
09-25-14, 05:39 PM
LOL, been getting work in fits and starts for the past three days. Normally just keep it open for work even during challenges.

Maxwell
09-25-14, 06:44 PM
This is my first experience with Pirates - last year I joined but never could get any work. Interesting project... may take a while to get to 5000 hours though!
Pirates was one of the first projects I joined over 5 years ago. I'm all the way up to ~7700 credits. I've never said "No new work" to Pirates.

Duke of Buckingham
09-25-14, 07:07 PM
Almost 100 credits, I am happy.:D