PDA

View Full Version : Collatz is down

Fogle
05-19-13, 07:03 AM
Just noticed Collatz is down hard can't even reach their website. Switching to Milkyway. :cool:

Slicker
05-19-13, 09:15 AM
Just noticed Collatz is down hard can't even reach their website. Switching to Milkyway. :cool:

I'm several hours away and won't be getting back to check it out until late afternoon/evening.

pinhodecarlos
05-19-13, 09:40 AM
I've plenty of work so I am cool.

Slicker
05-19-13, 11:32 AM
Firewall is up. VPN is up. So it looks like the problem is with the collatz server itself.

DrPop
05-19-13, 04:42 PM
Firewall is up. VPN is up. So it looks like the problem is with the collatz server itself.

No worries, Slicker. I will take this moment to shuffle parts around and install another GPU that arrived from Mike. :D A good break right after the Pentathlon anyway, and I will check back on Collatz later. :)

zombie67
05-21-13, 01:10 AM
It's down again. Hopefully it's just for backups or something, and not another PSU failure.

Fire$torm
05-31-13, 10:24 AM
Looks like Collatz is on the fritz again :(

DrPop
05-31-13, 11:22 AM
Man, I really feel for you, Slicker. That lightening strike and big storm turned a very stable server into a bit of a problem. Well, I suppose that is a lot of volts going through stuff! Ah....well, we'll be here whenever it comes back up, take your time, Sir!

pinhodecarlos
06-01-13, 05:47 AM
Before the server went down I had the luck to queue more work but I feel people will back away from the project if it continues to go down as often as last two weeks.

Carlos

zombie67
06-01-13, 08:36 AM
Before the server went down I had the luck to queue more work but I feel people will back away from the project if it continues to go down as often as last two weeks.

If people put up with SETI@home, they will put up with anything.

Edit: I just realized that my post could be mis-interprited, that I am equating collatz with SETI. To be clear, not at all! Collatz is one of the best run projects out there! The current problems are just a temporary blip, I am sure.

DrPop
06-01-13, 11:45 AM
Don't worry, Carlos. Slicker is the most "on top of it" project admin I have seen yet. The problem here is there was a real bad electric storm that took out components of the server, and trying to track down exactly what got fried is tough sometimes, especially if those parts work intermittently.
It could have been way worse - if he lived in Oklahoma City, or one of the other places that just got nailed by the huge tornadoes, there might not be any Collatz left at all! :( So as bad as it is, I will be thankful it was "only" an electric storm.

pinhodecarlos
06-02-13, 05:57 AM
I have a question. Under this situation where the server is down, I have 9 wu's done to upload with deadline of 4th of June and 21/51 wu's done with deadline of 5th of June. What happens with the wu's if the server stays down and goes up after the deadline of the completed wu's?

{KWSN}Gemjunkie[TeaM]
06-02-13, 09:51 AM
I have a question. Under this situation where the server is down, I have 9 wu's done to upload with deadline of 4th of June and 21/51 wu's done with deadline of 5th of June. What happens with the wu's if the server stays down and goes up after the deadline of the completed wu's?

A late fine of $1US/WU/day applies. Better send the results by snail mail as backup. *-:)

zombie67
06-02-13, 10:22 AM

You'll be fine. When the server comes back up, it will issue replacement tasks to someone else. So long as you return yours before he crunches and returns the replacements, you will be credited. You have the advantage of not needing any crunching time.

kmanley57
06-02-13, 12:55 PM
;61533']A late fine of $1US/WU/day applies. Better send the results by snail mail as backup. *-:)

WOW!

If all of the people with late WU's did that, he might have a really nice system! :p

STE\/E
06-26-13, 07:55 AM
Down again, Wu's won't Upload ...

STE\/E
06-26-13, 05:38 PM
Looks like it's back up again ...

Slicker
06-28-13, 12:41 AM
Not sure why it died yesterday. All I can figure is that the UPS shuts down when it can't handle the power surge. We had a huge storm over night and it was dead when I checked it. Took a while to do all the verifications to make sure the database was OK prior to enabling public access. I've actually got another server purchased and set up with Debian and BOINC but have to get the database, project folders, WUs, etc. all transferred over in order to switch to the new server. Maybe I'll start with trying to set it up as a MySQL cluster so it can sync up the data and then later shut everything down to copy the remaining folders and source and rebuild everything.

STE\/E
07-03-13, 07:09 AM
Down again, can't Upload Wu's ...

Slicker
07-03-13, 12:23 PM
It's back up now. Was at the airport dropping off relatives or else it would have been back up sooner.

STE\/E
07-06-13, 03:20 PM
Down again ... Can't Upload Wu's ...

zombie67
07-06-13, 06:02 PM
My guess is that Slicker is away for the weekend. Probably won't be fixed until SUnday evening.