PDA

View Full Version : Collatz PSU Discussion

Slicker
05-22-13, 09:30 AM
The Collatz server had a PSU fail on Sunday a.m. I replaced it Monday a.m. Some time Monday night the new one failed. The spare was an el cheapo I had on hand. So... the question is whether the second PSU failure was because it was cheap or whether it was due to the same reason the first one failed (e.g. something on the MB has failed and is drawing too much power for too long which kills it). I'm thinking is was just a junk PSU (fresh out of the wrapper but have had it lying around as a spare for so long that I can't return it). Obviously, I need a new one even if it is just to get the box running in order to move everything to a new server. On the other hand, I don't want to spend money on a new server if I don't have to. Thoughts? Comments?

DrPop
05-22-13, 11:53 AM
When my brother's rig had that big power failure, it blew out the PSU and the motherboard ($200+, not crap board), and the HDD. What I didn't realize was that it also blew out a built in USB connected card reader...and when he hooked that up to a new mobo and PSU, it wouldn't turn on due to a short.

Do you have anything else connected to the mobo that you can unplug when you test it with another PSU? Any USB devices or maybe SATA optical drive or anything that might have gotten power directly from the mobo or PSU that went down during the lightening strike?

kmanley57
05-22-13, 08:46 PM
When I lost a supply a couple months ago I also blew the video card in the machine. So you might have stressed some of the components and be looking at several causes for excess power draw. :(

zombie67
05-22-13, 09:26 PM
Slicker: I know running a server of any kind is expensive. And I know that Collatz is not a SETI.USA project, it is a Slicker project. But Slicker is a SETI.USA member. So I will put it out there: Would you accept donations? I scanned the Collatz front page, but didn't see a donations link. I would like to help out, and I am sure some of our fellow SETI.USA members would like to help too.

Slicker
05-24-13, 03:32 AM
Slicker: I know running a server of any kind is expensive. And I know that Collatz is not a SETI.USA project, it is a Slicker project. But Slicker is a SETI.USA member. So I will put it out there: Would you accept donations? I scanned the Collatz front page, but didn't see a donations link. I would like to help out, and I am sure some of our fellow SETI.USA members would like to help too.

The way I see it, Collatz is a hobby. I wouldn't expect you to donate towards my hunting expenses, so why would I expect donations for frakking? err.. I mean BOINCing. ;) Collatz isn't my most expensive hobby. In fact, it probably ranks #4. So, while I appreciate the offer, I'd rather not accept donations.

back to the topic....

It must have been a loose connection somewhere. I pulled the server from the rack and it worked find. Put it back in and it has been running OK since yesterday as far as I can tell. But, I'll probably still pick up another spare PSU. Luckily the Collatz server uses a desktop sized case and a standard PSU.

Fire$torm
05-24-13, 11:55 AM
The way I see it, Collatz is a hobby. I wouldn't expect you to donate towards my hunting expenses, so why would I expect donations for frakking? err.. I mean BOINCing. ;) Collatz isn't my most expensive hobby. In fact, it probably ranks #4. So, while I appreciate the offer, I'd rather not accept donations.

back to the topic....

It must have been a loose connection somewhere. I pulled the server from the rack and it worked find. Put it back in and it has been running OK since yesterday as far as I can tell. But, I'll probably still pick up another spare PSU. Luckily the Collatz server uses a desktop sized case and a standard PSU.

That's good news Slicker. For the spare maybe consider saving up for a brand that has a low failure rate. JPM knows where to find info on that metric, if he is willing. So how about it JPM?

John P. Myers
05-24-13, 04:14 PM
That's good news Slicker. For the spare maybe consider saving up for a brand that has a low failure rate. JPM knows where to find info on that metric, if he is willing. So how about it JPM?

Yes :) Don't get these:

Fail rate
- 3.64% Corsair Gaming Series GS600
- 3.59% Corsair CX500 V2
- 3.59% Corsair CX600 V2
- 3.39% FSP (Fortron) HEX 500
- 3.31% Seasonic S12II-520

Edit: On the overall fail rate across all brands, Seasonic and Corsair were the worst 2:

- Corsair 2.18%
- Seasonic 2.36%

Both of their fail rates across all models offered by each brand are better than 2.5% (which equates to only 1 in 40 failures), which is considered reasonable for a PSU.

Mumps
05-24-13, 09:19 PM
Yes :) Don't get these:

Fail rate
- 3.64% Corsair Gaming Series GS600
- 3.59% Corsair CX500 V2
- 3.59% Corsair CX600 V2
- 3.39% FSP (Fortron) HEX 500
- 3.31% Seasonic S12II-520

Edit: On the overall fail rate across all brands, Seasonic and Corsair were the worst 2:

- Corsair 2.18%
- Seasonic 2.36%

Both of their fail rates across all models offered by each brand are better than 2.5% (which equates to only 1 in 40 failures), which is considered reasonable for a PSU.

So, what's the timeframe on those failures rates again? If my replacement Seasonic has lasted 3 months already am I relatively safe? ;)

John P. Myers
05-24-13, 10:38 PM
So, what's the timeframe on those failures rates again? If my replacement Seasonic has lasted 3 months already am I relatively safe? ;)

The totals are from RMAs. As long as they are returned during the RMA period, they're counted. The reason for the RMA also matters. If someone RMAs a part because it doesn't fit or isn't compatible, then it's technically not broken and not counted. If the reason for the RMA makes it hard to determine for certain whether a part has failed, then it's tested by technicians. If it fails the tests, it's counted.

If you can still RMA your Seasonic, watch out! :p

John P. Myers
05-24-13, 10:57 PM
Also, stats info on brands require a minimum of 500 units sold.

Stats info on specific models require a minimum of 100 units sold.

However, since far more units are actually sold than the minimum requirements by whoever reports their stats to these guys (they don't name names), the reporting is much more accurate.

Fire$torm
05-24-13, 11:09 PM
And the overall best brand is...???

John P. Myers
05-24-13, 11:45 PM
And the overall best brand is...???

lol sorry

- Cooler Master 0.98%
- Fortron / FSP Group 0.99%
- Be quiet! 1.15%
- Antec 1.23%
- Thermaltake 1.98% (still my personal favorite if you stay away from the TR2 series)
- Corsair 2.18%
- Seasonic 2.36%

Fire$torm
05-25-13, 02:15 AM
lol sorry

- Cooler Master 0.98%
- Fortron / FSP Group 0.99%
- Be quiet! 1.15%
- Antec 1.23%
- Thermaltake 1.98% (still my personal favorite if you stay away from the TR2 series)
- Corsair 2.18%
- Seasonic 2.36%

Thx JPM! :-bd

So like WoW... Cooler Master beat out Antec? That surprises me. Interesting.

Mumps
06-05-14, 11:14 AM
So, here I sit, looking at a system that once again refuses to power on. And find myself wondering how these RMA rates may have changed in the last year. Even if it's not the PS this time, I think I want a spare on the shelf because I know I'll need one. :)

Don't even see the Thermaltake TR2-750 that I've been happy with on the Tiger Direct site So just stick with a Cooler Master modular model at 750W and Gold 80-Plus rating?

EDIT: Say, his one? Cooler Master V750S 750W Semi-Modular PSU - 80 Plus Gold (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=9087623&CatId=2533)

FourOh
06-05-14, 11:35 AM
I started buying EVGA PSUs to replace my aging ones. Pretty reasonable, 10-yr warranty, and full modular:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438017

Anyone have long term experience with EVGA power supply?

Mumps
06-09-14, 11:29 PM
I haven't seen anything about EVGA PS's. Might be a good choice though. Especially if bought today so you get the $20.00 rebate so it's only $99.99

Seems like it is my PS, because even without the GPU in, no life when I try to power the PS on. It's an OCZ 600W with a 3 year warranty, and it's only just over 2 years old. To bad OCZ doesn't exist anymore. We'll have to see how the company that bought their PS line and warranty issues does. They do indicate they are honoring all OCZ PS warranties. In the meantime, I'm puzzled by this...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171094

NewEgg states only a 2 year warranty, but in the Specs state it has a 5 year warranty. Considering the price and wattage match the EVGA, the shorter warranty and only partially modular make it look like the EVGA would easily be the better choice.

Bryan
06-10-14, 12:01 AM
I had 3 of the CoolerMaster PSUs. Newegg had a special and was giving them away with the purchase of HAF 932 cases. I can't say how good they are ... they burnt up. I had them on hand as spares but didn't get to use them =))

Mumps
06-10-14, 08:46 AM
I haven't seen anything about EVGA PS's. Might be a good choice though. Especially if bought today so you get the $20.00 rebate so it's only $99.99

Hah! Gotta love NewEgg. New Rebate available starting today for this same PS that makes it $5.00 cheaper

Mumps
06-10-14, 02:07 PM
Well, I'm out of the running for picking one of those EVGA's up for now. Confirmed my OCZ 600W is my problem, but then stumbled on an Open box PS at the local Best Buy.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153158

Got that one for $100, so I'll take the extra 100W, even if it is only 80+ Bronze rather than Gold.

Let me know if anyone picks some of these up because I may be in the market for another one soon regardless. Depending on the results of an attempt to RMA the 600W OCZ.