PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Backup Server?

litehouse43
06-19-13, 04:41 PM
Does anyone employ anything like this on their network? I currently backup all my computers manually to external HDDs once a month and it is quite tedious. I utilize some different software options at work for backup but nothing is designed for the home user. Does anyone know of any good software packages that can easily take updated backups from multiple computers once/day or once/week and store a redundant copy of the data on an independent server? I'd like all my computers to automatically push backups to a centralized server to minimize time spent backing things up.

Slicker
06-20-13, 12:40 AM
Does anyone employ anything like this on their network? I currently backup all my computers manually to external HDDs once a month and it is quite tedious. I utilize some different software options at work for backup but nothing is designed for the home user. Does anyone know of any good software packages that can easily take updated backups from multiple computers once/day or once/week and store a redundant copy of the data on an independent server? I'd like all my computers to automatically push backups to a centralized server to minimize time spent backing things up.

there are a number of online solutions such as Mozy which backup your files to their cloud. Cost is pretty cheap for home users. Many give 5GB or so for free.

litehouse43
06-20-13, 01:43 PM
there are a number of online solutions such as Mozy which backup your files to their cloud. Cost is pretty cheap for home users. Many give 5GB or so for free.

I'd prefer to not move it to the cloud. I'm kind of old school with having a physical copy. Helps me sleep better at night:p Plus I have 5TB of data so cloud storage would cost way too much.

I'm thinking a NAS hooked up to my network. I just need to track down a good automatic backup software.

Gopher_FreeDC
06-21-13, 05:11 PM
I'd prefer to not move it to the cloud. I'm kind of old school with having a physical copy. Helps me sleep better at night:p Plus I have 5TB of data so cloud storage would cost way too much.

I'm thinking a NAS hooked up to my network. I just need to track down a good automatic backup software.

5TB wow - hmm let me look see what i helped set up for my local church - SyncBack Free v6.00

myshortpencil
06-21-13, 06:32 PM
I use Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/) for automatic daily incremental backups with a complete backup every 7 days and 30 days of restore potential, though backup strategies are practically infinitely variable. I back up my systems to internal 2nd hard drives, but you can back them up directly to a NAS. Backups run much faster to a 2nd internal hard drive. Then, to preserve my backups to a NAS, and to keep critical files constantly updated, I use Second Copy (http://www.secondcopy.com/download.html). It automatically backs up any files/directories you want on any schedule you want. When backing up to a NAS, you may have to set an option concerning the way dates and times are handled. I have used both for many years. They are set and forget and I've always been able to restore/retrieve any files I've wanted. Your mileage may vary, of course.

litehouse43
06-22-13, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the leads guys. I'll check them all out and see what I can get to work best with my system. Definitely time to step it up from the manual backups I'm doing now.

Slicker
06-22-13, 07:37 PM
It all depends on how much you want to spend on the software. Free options are OK so long as you don't have databases, open files, etc. to back up. Versions that use volume shadow copy or other alternatives for backing up every single file whether it is in use or not usually cost more. The closer you get to data center backup software, the more robust it is.

Fire$torm
06-24-13, 04:46 AM
It all depends on how much you want to spend on the software. Free options are OK so long as you don't have databases, open files, etc. to back up. Versions that use volume shadow copy or other alternatives for backing up every single file whether it is in use or not usually cost more. The closer you get to data center backup software, the more robust it is.

There is one "Free for private use" option that can do Volume Locking/Shadow Copy. It's called DriveImage XML (link (http://www.runtime.org/driveimage-xml.htm)). I use it and it works well although it may not be the fastest solution out there.

Slicker
06-24-13, 06:59 PM
When I saw "DriveImage" I was hoping that Symantec finally updated Partition Magic which they bought and then stopped supporting. Unfortunately, this is a different app. Not all that different in function though, especially with the live CD. We used to clone machines at work with the old DriveImage and it looks like the new version would be able to do the same. Thanks for the post!

Fire$torm
06-24-13, 08:13 PM
@Slicker: Glad hit was of use.

litehouse43
06-26-13, 12:15 PM

Ya, that's what I'm trying to avoid. I use the more robust ones at work but am less familiar with their free/inexpensive counterparts. Since it's for personal use I don't need the fastest network out there. Just want to ensure all the data is safe.

I'll start playing around with some options this weekend. Thanks guys!