PDA

View Full Version : XQ6700

c303a
07-02-13, 07:17 PM
Just redid a computer for a friend and picked up an Asus P5K SE motherboard, 2 GB memory, power supply and a Thermaltake mid-tower case. While looking around for a cpu I looked at Ebay and picked up a XQ6700 quad core. I think I can do some serious ocing with this chip. Should have it by Monday. Going to do some shifting of cpu s so that the core 2 dual I have gets replaced.

Will also look for a video card that will crunch on this board.

Slicker
07-03-13, 12:49 AM
It will all depend upon the chip. My [old] 6850 OCs 25%. The 6600 does 20%, but the 9450 only does 10%. So it depends upon the quality of the chip. I'd hope the X series would do really well though.

c303a
07-03-13, 10:46 AM
I'm going to put the chip into my XFX 780i SLI 3 way SLI board and try to see how far I can go with it. I've got 8 GB of memory, a GTX 460 video card and a 750 watt power supply. Since this is supposed to be an Extreme chip I am just going to play with it. That's what happens when you retire. You have time to do stupid things like spend a little and then try to see how far you can go before you cook it.:D:D:D

Fire$torm
07-03-13, 01:08 PM
I'm going to put the chip into my XFX 780i SLI 3 way SLI board and try to see how far I can go with it. I've got 8 GB of memory, a GTX 460 video card and a 750 watt power supply. Since this is supposed to be an Extreme chip I am just going to play with it. That's what happens when you retire. You have time to do stupid things like spend a little and then try to see how far you can go before you cook it.:D:D:D

Yum yum. Deep fried Intel silicon... :))

c303a
07-03-13, 01:51 PM
Yum yum. Deep fried Intel silicon... :))

At least I am willing to try.

DrPop
07-03-13, 02:06 PM
At least I am willing to try.

Sweet! :) I had one of those high end Socket 775 CPUs for a while a couple years ago. They O/C very nice if you have strong PSU (like you do) and good motherboard. Do you have a good HSF cooler to put on it? It will need some good cooling! But if you O/C it good, it will give the first round of i7 CPUs - like the 920, etc - it will give them a good chase, and sometimes beat them. ;)

c303a
07-03-13, 04:25 PM
I've got a water cooler sitting around somewhere. I might just have to dig it up. If this keeps up I might have to be like a mad scientist and close off the lower level to the wife so she doesn't see that I will have another box up and running.X_XX_XX_X

Gopher_FreeDC
07-03-13, 05:58 PM
I've got a water cooler sitting around somewhere. I might just have to dig it up. If this keeps up I might have to be like a mad scientist and close off the lower level to the wife so she doesn't see that I will have another box up and running.X_XX_XX_X
lol - Go for it ;)