PDA

View Full Version : BOINC Tasks Control Software?

litehouse43
08-03-13, 02:17 AM
Does anyone else use this? I'm trying to get it set up but am having some issues. Got it running on both computers, got the gui_rpc_auth.cfg file edited to have my password but I can't seem to find the remote_hosts.cfg file they reference in the manual. Does anyone have a copy of the file they could post? Apparently it's supposed to be in my C:/ProgramData/BOINC folder with gui_rpc_auth.cfg but I don't see it there. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!

zombie67
08-03-13, 08:46 AM
There are two things you have to set up on the remote machine:

1) Setting/using the password from the remote machine's gui_rpc_auth.cfg, which you already did.

2) you also have to tell the remote machine that it is okay for other machines to connect. There are two ways to do this:

A) Add the IP address of the local machine running BOINCtasks, to the remote machine's remote_hosts.cfg file. You may have to create this file if it doesn't already exist. This file goes in the BOINC data folder. Same plase as your gui_rpc_auth.cfg file. Or...
B) Add this line to the options section of your cc_config.xml: <allow_remote_gui_rpc>1</allow_remote_gui_rpc>

I do B, because I am not concerned about restricting that access to a particular machine. Also, since I frequently access my machines this way from the road, my local IP address is constantly changing.

litehouse43
08-04-13, 01:42 AM
Ah excellent, thanks Zombie. Wasn't sure what to put in the remote_hosts file. I've got the IP in there now and everything is up and running smooth. Really liking the software so far. Much easier than managing 4 computers by hand.

zombie67
08-04-13, 01:45 AM
Glad to be of help. BOINCtasks is awesome.

Slicker
08-04-13, 02:17 AM
Glad to be of help. BOINCtasks is awesome.The only down side is that every time you know who decides to change some interface or remote procedure call (a.k.a. pseudo xml) that it takes a little while for boinc tasks to catch up to the client version. So, always remember NOT to upgrade your BOINC client until after BOINC Tasks supports that new version of the client. Most of the time it isn't needed, but everyone once in a while Mr. I Flunked Database Design decides to reuse some field for a totally different purpose which totally screws things up. That is why BOINC Manager .NET no longer exists. Too big a hassle to keep it in sync.