PDA

View Full Version : What's in a name.

Cruncher Pete
08-06-13, 07:56 PM
Missouri is very difficult word on etymology and in his history but I think you (almost) all know that. I will say it for those that don't know.

There was an indigenous tribe called the Missouri that speak Sioan-language, they were also called the ouemessourita (wimihsoorita), meaning "those who have dugout canoes", by the Miami-Illinois language speakers. As the Illini were the first natives encountered by Europeans in the region, the latter adopted the Illini name for the Missouri people.

Since 1600 the many pronunciations of Missouri mainly because of the Missouri river or the Mississippi-Missouri spread to the USA and among the speakers of American English.

Is very interesting how the study of a word can go so deep. Well we are a bit what and how we speak or in this case how and what we write.

I like that Missouri word tastes good to say it.

The above quote was very eloquently explained by Duke. I hope you do not mind starting a new thread with it for I thought we are getting too far away from the title of the CleanSweep challenge.

My take on this word is somewhat more personal for it is interesting from a different angle and I believe it to be the true meaning of the word Missouri. I changed my name by Deed Poll for the English language did not contain the letter ő. My Mothers' maiden name was O'Shane and because I had so much trouble with all those apostrophes etc I decided that my Surname should be Shane. You might ask what that has to do with Missouri. Let me explain. If you divide the word into two syllables you get Miss and ouri. The first syllable indicates an unmarried female and since I like females that word is pleasing to my ears. The second syllable is ouri. This is as close as you can get to pronounce the letter ő the way it sounded.

In conclusion I declare that Missouri aka Miss őri is a daughter of mine. You are permitted to laugh now, I am...:D

Duke of Buckingham
08-07-13, 06:25 AM
The above quote was very eloquently explained by Duke. I hope you do not mind starting a new thread with it for I thought we are getting too far away from the title of the CleanSweep challenge.

My take on this word is somewhat more personal for it is interesting from a different angle and I believe it to be the true meaning of the word Missouri. I changed my name by Deed Poll for the English language did not contain the letter ő. My Mothers' maiden name was O'Shane and because I had so much trouble with all those apostrophes etc I decided that my Surname should be Shane. You might ask what that has to do with Missouri. Let me explain. If you divide the word into two syllables you get Miss and ouri. The first syllable indicates an unmarried female and since I like females that word is pleasing to my ears. The second syllable is ouri. This is as close as you can get to pronounce the letter ő the way it sounded.

In conclusion I declare that Missouri aka Miss őri is a daughter of mine. You are permitted to laugh now, I am...:D

That is very good CP. I don't know much about etymology but I have for curiosity read one or other thing about it, I know that European names have meaning once in the beginning our names where like "Sitting Bull" or "Crazy Horse" and I think Cruncher Pete(r) is "The Cruncher Rock" or something like that.

I will try to make a nice post about names meanings including mine, the true one of course. I ask all the team to make the same thing, no one can know more about your name than yourself. :-B

Slicker
08-07-13, 10:46 AM
My surname, Sonntag (pronounced son'-tog if of German heritage or sun'-tag by the rest of the English speaking world), is German for Sunday. Chances are that either my first ancestor was born on Sunday, or was very pious, or more likely, was Jewish and forced by the German/Prussian Prince/Lord to change his Jewish surname to a Christian/non-Jewish name. As a devout Jew, the choice was to pick a day of the week. It was quite common. That's why there are a lot of German names like Montag, Freitag, and Sonntag (Monday, Friday, and Sunday).

Duke of Buckingham
08-07-13, 02:21 PM
My surname, Sonntag (pronounced son'-tog if of German heritage or sun'-tag by the rest of the English speaking world), is German for Sunday. Chances are that either my first ancestor was born on Sunday, or was very pious, or more likely, was Jewish and forced by the German/Prussian Prince/Lord to change his Jewish surname to a Christian/non-Jewish name. As a devout Jew, the choice was to pick a day of the week. It was quite common. That's why there are a lot of German names like Montag, Freitag, and Sonntag (Monday, Friday, and Sunday).

Nice Slicker,I have noticed already you are very smart that can be because of that name. :o

Joking of course did you knew that German and Jewish (Ashkenazic): from Middle High German sun(nen)tac, German Sonntag ‘Sunday’, a nickname for someone who had some particular connection with Sunday. The German surname may have arisen from a personal name for a child born on a Sunday, for this was considered a lucky day. Among Jews, it seems to have been one of the group of names referring to days of the week that were distributed at random by government officials.

But there are other roots for this word as Proto-Germanic *sunnōniz dagaz (“day of the sun”), a calque of Latin dies Solis (4th c.). Compare Low German Sünndag, Dutch zondag, West Frisian snein, English Sunday, Danish or Norwich sřndag, Finnish sunnuntai or the Swedish söndag.

In a lot of other languages the word as change for the Lord day or in Portuguese and Spanish is the word Domingo, the French word Dimanche, the Greek word Κυριακή or the Italian Domenica but that was because of religion and the major influence of the Roman Catholic Church.

And yes all the other days of the week have the names of planets except for Portuguese (That would give a book to write about).

ENGLISH-Meaning-Spanish
Monday - Moon day - Lunes
Tuesday - Mars day - Martes
Wednesday - Mercury day - Miercoles
Thursday - Jupiter day - Jueves
Friday - Venus day - Viernes

Now if you want to read something and have nothing better to do ...=))

Eventually, the first day of the week was named after the sun, followed by the moon, Mars, Mercury, Jupiter, Venus and Saturn. The names of the week were adopted with little change throughout most of the Roman Empire and even beyond. In only a few cases were changes made.

In Spanish, the five weekdays all retained their planetary names. Those are the five days whose names end in -es, a shortening of the Latin word for "day," dies. Thus lunes comes from the word for moon (luna), and the planetary connection is also apparent with martes (Mars, Tuesday), miércoles (Mercury, Wednesday) and viernes (Venus, Friday).

The connection with Jupiter is not quite so apparent with jueves, the word for Thursday, until you remember that "Jovian" is the adjective form of Jupiter in English, coming from a Latin root.

In Spanish, that leaves the words for Saturday and Sunday that weren't adopted using the Roman naming pattern. Domingo, the word for Sunday, comes from a Latin word meaning "Lord's day." And sábado, the word for Saturday, comes from the Hebrew word Sabbath, meaning a day of rest (in Jewish and Christian tradition, God rested on the seventh day of creation).

In English, the pattern is similar, but with a key difference. The connections between Sunday and the sun, between Monday and the moon, and between Saturn and Saturday should be obvious. The difference with the other days is that English is a Germanic language, and the names of equivalent Germanic gods were substituted for the Roman gods.

Mars, for example, was the god of war, while the Germanic god of war was Tiu, whose name became part of Tuesday. Wednesday is a modification of Woden's Day; Woden was a god who was swift like Mercury. You may have heard of the Norse god Thor; a variation of that name was the basis for naming Thursday. Finally, Frigg, after whom Friday was named, was like Venus a goddess of love.

Duke of Buckingham
08-07-13, 07:51 PM
Today my name (Ricardo) and CP name (Peter)

RICHARD
USAGE: English, French, German, Czech, Dutch, Ancient Germanic
PRONOUNCED: RICH-ərd (English), ree-SHAHR (French), RIKH-ahrt (German)

Meaning & History
Means "brave power", derived from the Germanic elements ric "power, rule" and hard "brave, hardy". The Normans introduced this name to Britain, and it has been very common there since that time. It was borne by three kings of England including Richard I the Lionheart, leader of the Third Crusade in the 12th century. Famous bearers include two German opera composers, Richard Wagner (1813-1883) and Richard Strauss (1864-1949), as well as British explorer Sir Richard Burton (1821-1890) and American musician Little Richard (1920-).

Related Names
VARIANT: Ricohard (Ancient Germanic)
DIMINUTIVES: Dick, Rich, Richie, Rick, Rickey, Rickie, Ricky, Ricki, Ritchie (English)
FEMININE FORMS: Richelle, Richardine, Rikki (English), Ricarda (German)
OTHER LANGUAGES: Ricard (Catalan), Rikard (Danish), Rikhard, Riku (Finnish), Richárd, Rikárd (Hungarian), Risteárd (Irish), Riccardo (Italian), Rihards (Latvian), Dicun, Hudde (Medieval English), Rikard (Norwegian), Ryszard (Polish), Ricardo (Portuguese), Rihard (Slovene), Ricardo, Rico (Spanish), Rikard (Swedish), Rhisiart (Welsh)

PETER
USAGE: English, German, Dutch, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, Slovene, Slovak, Biblical
PRONOUNCED: PEE-tər (English), PE-ter (German, Slovak), PAY-tər (Dutch) [key]

Meaning & History
Derived from the Greek Πετρος (Petros) meaning "stone". This is a translation used in most versions of the New Testament of the name Cephas, meaning "stone" in Aramaic, which was given to the apostle Simon by Jesus (compare Matthew 16:18 and John 1:42). Simon Peter was the most prominent of the apostles during Jesus' ministry and is often considered the first pope.

Due to the renown of the apostle, this name became common throughout the Christian world (in various spellings). In England the Normans introduced it in the Old French form Piers, which was gradually replaced by the spelling Peter starting in the 15th century.

Besides the apostle, other saints by this name include the 11th-century reformer Saint Peter Damian and the 13th-century preacher Saint Peter Martyr. It was also borne by rulers of Aragon, Portugal, and Russia, including the Russian tsar Peter the Great (1672-1725), who defeated Sweden in the Great Northern War. Famous fictional bearers include Peter Rabbit from Beatrix Potter's children's books, and Peter Pan, the boy who refused to grow up in J. M. Barrie's 1904 play.

Related Names
VARIANTS: Piers (English (British)), Petrus (German), Petrus, Pier, Pieter (Dutch), Peder, Petter (Swedish), Peder, Petter (Norwegian), Peder (Danish)
DIMINUTIVES: Pete (English), Piet (Dutch), Pelle, Per, Peer, Pehr (Swedish), Per, Peer (Norwegian), Per, Peer (Danish)
FEMININE FORMS: Peta (English (Australian)), Petra (English), Petra (German), Petra (Dutch), Petra (Swedish), Petra (Norwegian), Petra (Danish), Petra (Slovene), Petra (Slovak)
OTHER LANGUAGES: Botros, Boutros, Butrus (Arabic), Bedros, Petros (Armenian), Peru, Petri, Peio (Basque), Petros (Biblical Greek), Petrus (Biblical Latin), Per, Perig (Breton), Petar, Penko, Petko (Bulgarian), Pere (Catalan), Botros, Boutros, Butrus (Coptic), Petru (Corsican), Petar, Pejo, Perica, Pero (Croatian), Petr (Czech), Petro (Esperanto), Peeter (Estonian), Petri, Petteri, Pietari, Pekka (Finnish), Pierre (French), Pitter (Frisian), Petre (Georgian), Petros (Greek), Pika (Hawaiian), Péter, Peti (Hungarian), Pétur (Icelandic), Peadar, Piaras (Irish), Pietro, Piero (Italian), Pitter, Pit (Limburgish), Petras (Lithuanian), Petar, Petre, Pece, Petko (Macedonian), Petera (Maori), Piers (Medieval French), Petruccio (Medieval Italian), Pčire (Occitan), Piotr (Polish), Pedro, Pedrinho (Portuguese), Petre, Petru, Petrica (Romanian), Pyotr, Petia, Petya (Russian), Peadar (Scottish), Petar, Pero (Serbian), Pedro (Spanish), Petro (Ukrainian), Pedr (Welsh)

Duke of Buckingham
08-08-13, 03:46 PM
To Kristin

KRISTIN
USAGE: Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, German, English
PRONOUNCED: KRIS-teen (German), KRIS-tin (English)

Meaning & History
Scandinavian and German form of CHRISTINA

Related Names
VARIANTS: Kia, Stina, Kerstin, Kjerstin (Swedish), Kjersti, Stina, Stine, Tine, Kirsten, Kjerstin (Norwegian), Stina, Stine, Tine, Kirsten (Danish), Krista, Kerstin (German), Cristen, Kristen, Krysten (English)
DIMINUTIVES: Kjersti (Norwegian), Kiki (German)
OTHER LANGUAGES: Kistińe (Basque), Hristina, Kristina (Bulgarian), Kristina, Ina, Tina (Croatian), Kristina, Kristýna (Czech), Christina, Christine, Kristina, Kristine, Christa, Christin, Ina, Kirsten, Kirstine, Kristin, Stina, Stine, Tine (Danish), Christina, Christine, Ina, Stien, Tina, Tineke (Dutch), Christiana, Christina, Christine, Kristina, Chris, Chrissie, Chrissy, Christa, Christabel, Christabella, Christabelle, Christi, Christianne, Christie, Christobel, Christy, Cristen, Ina, Kiersten, Kiki, Kirsten, Kris, Krista, Kristeen, Kristen, Kristi, Kristia, Kristie, Kristin, Kristy, Krysten, Krystina, Krystine, Kyrsten, Tiana, Tianna, Tina (English), Kristiina (Estonian), Kristiina, Kirsi, Kirsti, Krista, Stiina, Tiina (Finnish), Christiane, Christine, Christelle (French), Christiane, Christina, Christine, Kristiane, Kristina, Kristine, Christa, Christel, Christin, Ina, Kerstin, Kiki, Krista, Kristin (German), Kilikina (Hawaiian), Krisztina (Hungarian), Cristiana, Cristina, Tina (Italian), Christiana (Late Roman), Kristiāna, Kristīna, Kristīne (Latvian), Kristina (Lithuanian), Hristina (Macedonian), Christina, Christine, Kristina, Kristine, Christin, Ina, Kirsten, Kjersti, Kjerstin, Kristin, Stina, Stine, Tine (Norwegian), Krystiana, Krystyna, Krysia (Polish), Cristiana, Cristina (Portuguese), Cristina (Romanian), Kristina (Russian), Cairistěona, Kirstin, Kirsteen, Kirstie, Kirsty (Scottish), Kristina (Serbian), Kristína (Slovak), Kristina, Tina (Slovene), Cristina (Spanish), Christina, Christine, Kristina, Kristine, Christin, Ina, Kerstin, Kia, Kjerstin, Kristin, Stina (Swedish), Crystin (Welsh)

Duke of Buckingham
08-10-13, 05:56 PM
JACOB

USAGE: English, Dutch, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, Biblical
OTHER SCRIPTS: יַעֲקֹב (Ancient Hebrew)
PRONOUNCED: JAY-kəb (English), YAH-kawp (Dutch) [key]

Meaning & History
From the Latin Iacobus, which was from the Greek Ιακωβος (Iakobos), which was from the Hebrew name יַעֲקֹב (Ya'aqov). In the Old Testament, Jacob (later called Israel) is the son of Isaac and Rebecca and the father of the twelve founders of the twelve tribes of Israel. He was born holding his twin brother Esau's heel, and his name is explained as meaning "holder of the heel" or "supplanter". Other theories claim that it is in fact derived from a hypothetical name like יַעֲקֹבְאֵל (Ya'aqov'el) meaning "may God protect".

The English names Jacob and James derive from the same source, with James coming from Latin Iacomus, a later variant of Iacobus. Unlike English, many languages do not have separate spellings for the two names.

In England, Jacob was mainly regarded as a Jewish name during the Middle Ages, though the variant James was used among Christians. Jacob came into general use as a Christian name after the Protestant Reformation. A famous bearer was Jacob Grimm (1785-1863), the German linguist and writer who was, with his brother Wilhelm, the author of 'Grimm's Fairy Tales'.

Related Names
VARIANTS: Jaycob (English), Jacobus, Jakob (Dutch), Jakob (Swedish), Jakob (Norwegian), Jakob (Danish)
DIMINUTIVES: Coby, Jake, Jeb, Koby (English), Cobus, Coos, Jaap, Kobus, Koos, Sjaak, Sjakie (Dutch), Ib, Jeppe (Danish)
FEMININE FORMS: Jacoba, Jacobina, Jacobine (Dutch), Jacobine (Norwegian), Jacobine (Danish)
OTHER LANGUAGES: Yakub, Yaqub (Arabic), Hagop, Hakob (Armenian), Jakes (Basque), Iakobos (Biblical Greek), Yaakov (Biblical Hebrew), Iacobus (Biblical Latin), Yakov (Bulgarian), Jaume, Jaumet (Catalan), Jago (Cornish), Jakov, Jakob, Jakša (Croatian), Jakub (Czech), Jaagup, Jaakob, Jakob, Jaak (Estonian), Jaakoppi, Jaakko, Jaska (Finnish), Jacques (French), Iago (Galician), Jakob (German), Iakopa, Kimo (Hawaiian), Yaakov, Yakov, Akiba, Akiva (Hebrew), Jakab, Jákob (Hungarian), Séamus, Shamus, Sheamus, Séamas (Irish), Giacobbe, Giacomo, Jacopo, Iacopo, Lapo (Italian), Iacomus, Jacobus (Late Roman), Jokūbas (Lithuanian), Jakov (Macedonian), Hemi (Maori), Jakub, Kuba (Polish), Jaime, Iago, Jacó (Portuguese), Yakov, Yasha (Russian), Seumas (Scottish), Jakub (Slovak), Jakob, Jaka, Jaša (Slovene), Jacobo, Jaime, Yago (Spanish), Yakup (Turkish), Yakiv (Ukrainian), Iago (Welsh), Kapel, Koppel, Yankel (Yiddish)