PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia Will Try to Hold Off AMD

John P. Myers
08-27-13, 02:37 AM
Will there be a GTX 790? Most likely, yes. And for about $1000. AMD's new GPUs are coming out in october (i'm 90% sure of that) and Nvidia has nothing new to offer until the Maxwell release which will be in feb-march next year. So, the only thing they can do at this point is create a 790. I do not know if they will launch around the same time as the new AMDs or a month after, but either way, it won't be long. The reasoning for it? Pride. Nvidia does not want to lose the performance crown, which they will if they do nothing until Q1 next year.

Yes, the new AMD GPUs are expected to have substantial speed increases - not the little 3-5% that's been pushed on us lately, but up to a whopping 40% faster than current models in some cases. Nvidia better get to work....

...and they have. I know i've been against Nvidia lately with their intentional performance crippling and their direct rebranding without even the most minor of tweaks, but holy hell...their Maxwells look very, very promising, though i highly doubt they'll work on BOINC for quite some time after their release. At least some of the Maxwells, such as the GTX 880, will include an ARM Cortex CPU along with the GPU on the same PCB. Interesting, huh? Seems to be agreed upon that this CPU will be 64-bit, but the speed/cores varies from 2GHz/8-cores to 1GHz/16 cores. Possibly could be either, depending on which GPU you get. One problem though, Maxwell was designed for a 20nm lithography, but because AMD has Nvidia running scared, they've moved their release date up 3-5 months or so. This is a problem because TSMC won't be ready to produce 20nm wafers until June, so expect the first Maxwell's to be the less efficient, large die, power hungry PCB space hogs.

zombie67
08-27-13, 09:21 AM
I will practice this foreign concept of patience.

Fire$torm
08-27-13, 12:29 PM
I just hope AMD doesn't pull another "Let's let vendors R&D xx90 twin GPU so we can orphan their release with our late one" BS......

Slicker
08-27-13, 01:22 PM
Sure would be nice if AMD would fix the bugs in their OpenCL compiler so that the extra speed could actually be used....

DrPop
08-28-13, 01:54 AM
I will practice this foreign concept of patience.

LOL! That means a lot coming from you, Z! ;)