PDA

View Full Version : An Intel OCing Gimmick to Avoid

John P. Myers
09-03-13, 07:00 AM
http://www.legitreviews.com/intel-shows-pax-attendees-ssd-overclocking_122557

Seems Intel is grasping at straws to get people excited these days. Offering an overclockable SSD is just plain stupidity. The amount of dumbassery required to make this purchase, then cry about your thoroughly corrupted data and 4 month lifespan is incomprehensible.

c303a
09-03-13, 09:34 AM
Just what we need...A hard drive that can be faster but might lose our data a lot sooner then the hard drives now on the market. I am running 2 SSD's now and for me they don't need to be overclocked. Just give me equipment that lasts. Just another way to get some people another way to spend money on upgrades.

DrPop
09-03-13, 11:56 AM
Hmmm...I agree. If anything, I'd like to see them bring me a non-optical data storage device (i.e. SSD, etc) that is guaranteed to hold my data for 7 years. I mean guaranteed. Like nothing could "break" in there before 7 years worth of hours is up. I do think SSDs in general are a good step toward this - much less stuff in there to break than a HDD. I picked 7 because that is how long we are required to keep all info on patients, etc, for any health care provider. I'd be happy with one that lasted longer, of course. :)

John P. Myers
09-03-13, 02:09 PM
Hmmm...I agree. If anything, I'd like to see them bring me a non-optical data storage device (i.e. SSD, etc) that is guaranteed to hold my data for 7 years. I mean guaranteed. Like nothing could "break" in there before 7 years worth of hours is up. I do think SSDs in general are a good step toward this - much less stuff in there to break than a HDD. I picked 7 because that is how long we are required to keep all info on patients, etc, for any health care provider. I'd be happy with one that lasted longer, of course. :)

That's actually quite possible to do now with what's available, without having to buy enterprise class. The way to figure what you need though is based on how much space is used on your drive, and how much data you write to the drive daily (reads won't wear out an SSD, only writes - whereas both reads and writes wear out a regular HDD). If you're looking for a 7 year warranty though, that probably won't happen. No SSD manufacturer wants to keep a stock of everything they've made for that long of time. Also they can't know the abuse you may inflict upon it, such as writing a terabyte per day :p

When it comes to SSDs, they usually provide a MTBF, but your actual usage can easily shorten this...or extend it.

c303a
09-03-13, 02:27 PM
Also they can't know the abuse you may inflict upon it, such as writing a terabyte per day :p

When it comes to SSDs, they usually provide a MTBF, but your actual usage can easily shorten this...or extend it.

Are you saying we abuse our hardware? We only run 24/7 and overclock as much as possible. Oh yea, and we usually run at near max temps. Thats not abuse. Thats called crunching! :>:>:>;););):D:D:D

John P. Myers
09-03-13, 02:44 PM
Are you saying we abuse our hardware? We only run 24/7 and overclock as much as possible. Oh yea, and we usually run at near max temps. Thats not abuse. Thats called crunching! :>:>:>;););):D:D:D

Lol no no no :p Us crunchers are actually not so rough on our storage devices. The only way we'd kill an SSD quickly is getting one the same capacity as what we use. If you use 128GB drive space, get a 256GB SSD. It'll last longer than any of us will live...or close to it anyway. :)

John P. Myers
09-03-13, 03:09 PM

This is a chart from Anandtech, when they compared the endurance of the TLC NAND Samsung 840 non-pro (now known as the Samsung 840 EVO) to a MLC NAND Samsung 840 Pro.

Furthermore, it should be kept in mind that all SMART values that predict lifespan are conservative; it's highly unlikely that your drive will drop dead once the WLC or MWI hits zero. There is a great example at XtremeSystems where a 256GB Samsung SSD 830 is currently at nearly 6,000TiB of writes. Its WLC hit zero at 828TiB of writes, which means its endurance is over seven times higher than what the SMART values predicted. That doesn't mean all drives are as durable but especially SSDs from NAND manufacturers (e.g. Intel, Crucial/Micron, Samsung etc.) seem to be more durable than what the SMART values and datasheets indicate, which isn't a surprise given that they can cherry-pick the highest quality NAND chips.

Mumps
09-03-13, 03:15 PM
Unless of course you're running AlmereGrid. That reads and writes tons during it's processing.

Also, if you look at many SSD drives, their MTBF is absolutely ridiculous. Writing 1 Gig daily, IIRC the older Samsung 840's have about a 111 year MTBF. I've had about 120 Kingston (OEM'd Intel X35's) and HP SSD's in Production use for about 6 years now and have only lost a pair of the X35's. (Including a system that ran on an HP SSD for about 10 months straight on AlmereGrid.)

Fire$torm
09-04-13, 12:24 PM
So Lame.....