PDA

View Full Version : Pirates

shiva
09-18-13, 10:59 PM
I received 37 wu's from Pirates@home today. It's to bad that 15 of them were error on download. but still got 21 good ones. :D I don't know how many of you have ran this it is a slow project. I think I have about 10,000 credits in about 10 years. :-B :)

trigggl
09-18-13, 11:18 PM
I received 37 wu's from Pirates@home today. It's to bad that 15 of them were error on download. but still got 21 good ones. :D I don't know how many of you have ran this it is a slow project. I think I have about 10,000 credits in about 10 years. :-B :)

That's kind of how I am with EDGI Demo. They always seem to release about 5 minutes of work around 3 am Central, usually too late/early for me to notice and shut everything else off. Lately they've just been sending out Virtualbox work that pretty much just crashes.

DrBackJack
09-20-13, 12:56 AM
I tried tonight, got one work unit that ran for 54 seconds and was done. No more has come in.
What is that like 1 credit ? hehe
So the next "talk like a pirate day" is in another year is what I hear ?

NJCaNS
09-20-13, 10:09 PM
They're still kicking out Wu's. And like me, they are done in a minute. Boarding parties away!!!

NJCaNS
09-21-13, 01:25 PM
Pirates is one of those projects were power isn't the important factor. It's sheer number of computers since the project limits how many and how often you can get a work unit. It also doesn't impact any other projects your are running since each Pirate WU lasts only a minute and you can only get 1 WU per core each hour. Point is everyone should add the project to their crunchers by going to Add Project and entering http://pirates.spy-hill.net/. Do it now or be a scurvy land lubber. NOTE: we're running #2 to SG. Let's see if we can keep pace and reach 490K points this year.

Justgeo1
09-21-13, 08:13 PM
Ok, how do I get attached to that, as it's been years since I was on that and I can't find it in my list of projects I can attach to...

DrBackJack
09-21-13, 08:27 PM
Hi Geo !.

When you go to tools then add project, then next, it's not on the list there to select.
Bottom of that screen where it says "Project URL" erase what is there and add this:
http://pirates.spy-hill.net/
then click next and it will attach.

shiva
09-22-13, 12:50 PM
all you can do is attach and wait. I have been getting work now for 4 days and mostly keep my machines full. the biggest problem I'm having is error's, 273 have error while downloading. wish I knew what was causing that.

NJCaNS
09-22-13, 11:09 PM
I think I've had a few of those too but suspect it's more on an older PC than new ones. My problem is more how long it takes to get Wu's to do. Seems like 2 hours: Get WU's, complete in a minute but waits an hour to upload, then waits an hour to download another set. Trick I've used is to upload them right a way manually, then I get new ones the next hour and then manually upload them again. I bit time consuming but I can do this a couple of times a day to get extra WU's. Which I could use the 64 core setup and grab a bunch at once. Definitely one of those tortoise projects and hurry up and wait. :)

John P. Myers
09-27-13, 03:56 AM
Noticed awhile ago they finally exported a stats update. Now if i could just hit that 1k MM :ar!

shiva
09-27-13, 08:04 AM
Noticed awhile ago they finally exported a stats update. Now if i could just hit that 1k MM :ar! bout time they did that, thanks for the info

E-30
09-27-13, 06:52 PM
sounds good i might jump on after the enigma and dirt thing is over

NJCaNS
09-28-13, 02:10 AM
sounds good i might jump on after the enigma and dirt thing is overProject might be done by then for another year. 2.5K and team reaches 500K

zombie67
09-29-13, 11:07 PM
FWIW, I am still getting tasks on my linux machines.

Mumps
09-29-13, 11:14 PM
Project might be done by then for another year. 2.5K and team reaches 500K

And with this evenings export, the team has indeed reached 500K.

NJCaNS
10-06-13, 12:17 AM
And with this evenings export, the team has indeed reached 500K. Congrats team!!! Also looks like Pirates is done again with WU's. Maybe for another year but hopefully not longer. We have a chance for a 1st team to 1 million trophy but would have to really work at it since SG has a lead and has out produced SUSA the last 2 releases. But if the past is any indication, this won't happen for a decade. :-)

kheinicken
10-14-13, 03:26 PM
Darn I missed out on that batch. I had it active but failed to get any :(

Still will keep it on for next pirate day!

E-30
10-14-13, 06:35 PM
I can't make an account say I got to have a code

Justgeo1
10-15-13, 04:28 AM
And I can't get back in because my email address changed a half dozen time (same cable, different owners) and I can't get back into the system and the contact page is 404 page not found...crap... :mad:

zombie67
10-15-13, 09:14 AM
For BOINC accounts, it is better to use an email address that won't change just because you change ISPs. Something like gmail, yahoo, etc.

trigggl
10-16-13, 12:05 AM
For BOINC accounts, it is better to use an email address that won't change just because you change ISPs. Something like gmail, yahoo, etc.
I pay $20 a year for a yahoo account with extra privileges. It's worth it for me. I use an email reader (Thunderbird) at home and at work using pop mail. No need to open a web browser. Also, no ads.

I pay a small fee a year for that very reason. It's nice to be able to drop one internet provider for another without affecting the email account everyone has for you.

Justgeo1
10-16-13, 07:20 PM

I wish I'd done that a long time ago... too late now, as I can't get into many of the projects I signed up for... too old an email address on many of them. Oh well! I still get points! :)

Fire$torm
10-17-13, 05:52 PM
Contacting the project admins might yield some help getting your email addy straightened out.

Also, if you are an ATT ISP subscriber and later change your provider, ATT will let you keep your email addy with the ability to continue using a 3rd party email client. Just thought y'all should know.

E-30
10-17-13, 05:53 PM
If I am going to crunch this project I got to get an invite code to make an account

John P. Myers
10-17-13, 07:24 PM
If I am going to crunch this project I got to get an invite code to make an account

Invite codes can only be obtained from the project, and it's pretty unlikely they'll give out any soon. Sometimes projects will stop allowing new member sign-ups when the amount of work they have becomes very little and they feel the members they already have can handle it. I know you weren't around when Pirates first started up, but it's an example of why it's a good idea to sign up for every project when it begins, even if you have no intention of crunching it for awhile, or don't even currently have the ability (such as requiring an OS, or piece of hardware you don't currently have). That way if the project decides to quit accepting members one day, you don't have to worry about it :)

Al
10-17-13, 07:38 PM
Last I knew they weren't issuing codes anymore. Try "blunderbuss" it worked for me.