PDA

View Full Version : Quake-Catcher Network: US Gov't Shutdown - No USGS Data

RSS
10-01-13, 05:21 PM
Note that due to the recent US government shutdown - the USGS will not be providing data for the QCNLive & QCN/BOINC earthquake map, and matching of USGS detected events to QCN events. Hopefully this issue will be resolved soon.

More... (http://qcn.stanford.edu/sensor/forum_thread.php?id=994)

zombie67
10-01-13, 05:37 PM
Hilarious!

Mumps
10-01-13, 05:45 PM
And someone mentioned to me today that he'd heard that less than 1 Million US Residents would actually even be affected by the Government shutdown. :)

zombie67
10-01-13, 06:28 PM
It is a mandatory vacation, that will eventually be paid. Wish my company would have a shut down like that!

Here is the question: If the people being forced to not work are non-essential, why are we paying for them in the first place? The few of us tax payers are getting screwed now more than ever. The news media are all in lock step, telling us how awful the shut down is. I say, let's make it permanent. And throw an additional weekly sequester on top of it all.

Slicker
10-02-13, 12:47 AM
The news reported 800,000 non-essential government employees were now on furlough. My question is, "Why aren't they downsized?" If they are non-essential, why are we paying them with our tax dollars? And how come congress still gets paid? The politicians certainly aren't essential. ;-)

Bryan
10-02-13, 12:54 AM
And then to hear the Senators talking about not wanting to vote that they have to also use Obamacare because their poor staffers work VERY hard and it would be unfair to them. So from that I guess they think no one else in the nation works hard! The average person doesn't get a 75% subsidy for their health care either. Talk about pure arrogance!

DrPop
10-02-13, 02:45 AM
Couldn't agree more with you guys. They are SO out of touch with reality. What a mess.

John P. Myers
10-03-13, 12:25 AM
Note that due to the recent US government shutdown - the USGS will not be providing data for the QCNLive & QCN/BOINC earthquake map, and matching of USGS detected events to QCN events.

And someone mentioned to me today that he'd heard that less than 1 Million US Residents would actually even be affected by the Government shutdown.
Well that person was clearly misinformed :p

1) You may not receive certain government benefits, particularly if the shutdown lasts late into October, or you’ll see a delay in benefits.

2) There could be delays processing your Pell Grant and student loan payments.

3) Your passport or visa office might close.

4) You’ll eat food that was produced in neglected factories. The FDA is shuttering the majority of its food-safety oversight operation, which means facilities that mass-produce foods — from prune juice to pickles – will not receive their routine inspections.

5) You won’t be able to visit national parks or drive on roads that cut through them. All 401 of them.

6) You won’t know if the flu (or any other epidemic) is brewing in your area. The CDC will not monitor seasonal flu activity this year and won’t conduct cross-state investigations to link outbreaks of diseases like hepatitis A or salmonella, etc.

7) You won’t be able to ask the IRS for help with your taxes.

8) You won’t be able to get certain types of loans. Basically anything having to do with the SBA or the FHA.

9) You won’t be able to watch the Panda Cam :p The National Zoo is closed too.

10) Military personnel: Members of the armed forces would have their paychecks put on hold while they continue to work.

11) People who use boats: The Coast Guard will cut back on routine patrols and navigation assistance. Go go drug dealers!

12) @CuriosityRover: 98 percent of NASA's staff will be furloughed, and the agency's website and live-streams will go dark.

and the list goes on and on...

Only 1 million affected? Please inform this person they don't know what they're talking about :)

zombie67
10-03-13, 12:34 AM
I keep going from "who gives a shit" to "how do we make this permanent?"

Edit: Everyone will get paid in the end. It's just a mandatory paid vacation. ...for the 18% of non-essential tax-payer employees.

Bryan
10-03-13, 12:40 AM
I keep going from "who gives a shit" to "how do we make this permanent?"

Let's see, if they are shut down then they aren't spending money. If they aren't spending money then there's no need to raise the debt ceiling. Problem solved!! =))

John P. Myers
10-03-13, 12:45 AM
Let's see, if they are shut down then they aren't spending money. If they aren't spending money then there's no need to raise the debt ceiling. Problem solved!! =))

Yes. And really, a little more bacteria in our food would help restore the weakened immune systems of all these clowns addicted to hand sanitizer, which in turn is just creating more bacteria resistant to more ways of being killed. I can't even remember the last time i, or anyone i know, was given penicillin. Why? It doesn't work anymore.

trigggl
10-03-13, 12:51 PM
My adult daughter (who I bought and fixed a car for so that she could work) procrastinated going to DHS and found them closed on the day of the shutdown. Might want to make getting a job a priority. She called for help with getting diapers for her daughter. Sounds like a good time to enforce potty training since her daughter's past the age she should be out of diapers anyways. She doesn't have a job, so it's not like she has anything better to do (except maybe get a job).

Maybe this situation will put a fire under her butt to grow up and get responsible. She's not getting any help from us this time either, so I hope she gets a clue.

Fire$torm
10-03-13, 03:41 PM
Not that I disagree with any of you but some of the chatter is not entirely correct. Why? Because America is in a state of war!

So the NSA and CIA are operating with full staffs as is HLS. Any congressman and/or congresswoman (yuck on PC) that is on any committee dealing with National Security has a full staff. Only on paper (err national media) is the Coast Guard not fully staffed and operational.

Though not exactly a source, my Uncle is retired Fed, U.S. Customs & Border Patrol. I heard enough stories from him to realize that the Gov. NEVER tells the truth in regards to protecting itself.

zombie67
10-03-13, 06:32 PM
Calling it a shut-down is just wrong. Only ~18% of the federal workforce is actually not working. "Partial shutdown" is more accurate. And even then, they are picking only those items that they believe will cause the most pain and visibility to the voters. For example, closing parks that have no upkeep costs, no rangers, nothing. Just to make it inconvenient. They did the same thing back with the sequester, remember? They are scared we will become aware of how much of the federal spending we really do not need or care about. Can't let that happen!!

Mumps
10-03-13, 10:23 PM
State of WI DNR (Department of Natural Resources) told the Fed Govt to get lost (http://www.jsonline.com/news/statepolitics/scott-walker-blames-lawmakers-in-both-parties-for-federal-shutdown-b99111708z1-226154141.html) when they were told they needed to shut down all the State parks that were partially funded by the Feds.

DrPop
10-04-13, 12:57 AM
Makes me wonder when the majority of folks in this country will wake up and go, "Huh. We sent home 90% of the IRS workers and yet the IRS is STILL collecting taxes! Hmmm...we sent home 3/4 of the EPA and they're still a pain in the BLEEP! ... etc".

It would seem to those of us outside of D.C. that we're more than a little top heavy. Way past time to shed some weight! :p

Bryan
10-04-13, 08:56 AM
Makes me wonder when the majority of folks in this country will wake up and go, "Huh. We sent home 90% of the IRS workers and yet the IRS is STILL collecting taxes! Hmmm...we sent home 3/4 of the EPA and they're still a pain in the BLEEP! ... etc".

It would seem to those of us outside of D.C. that we're more than a little top heavy. Way past time to shed some weight! :p

Those that have been sent home are in effect on a free vacation. When they return to work they will be given "back" pay. Not a bad deal if you can get it :)

Slicker
10-04-13, 10:41 AM
State of WI DNR (Department of Natural Resources) told the Fed Govt to get lost (http://www.jsonline.com/news/statepolitics/scott-walker-blames-lawmakers-in-both-parties-for-federal-shutdown-b99111708z1-226154141.html) when they were told they needed to shut down all the State parks that were partially funded by the Feds.

It is deer hunting season in WI and NOBODY messes with deer hunting in WI!!!!!

Slicker
10-04-13, 10:46 AM
It would seem to those of us outside of D.C. that we're more than a little top heavy. Way past time to shed some weight! I agree. The question is, what happens when 5 million federal employees all start collecting unemployment for 99 months?

zombie67
10-04-13, 11:00 AM
I agree. The question is, what happens when 5 million federal employees all start collecting unemployment for 99 months?

Theoretically, unemployment insurance is pre-funded by the workers themselves. So those 5 million employees already funded program, just in case they ever become unemployed. Of course, extending the program to 99 weeks is far beyond what the funds can support. Just like every other federal social program.

Bryan
10-04-13, 11:56 AM
Yeh, but social security was also self funded and placed in its own piggy bank. Of course the fact that the politicians kept tapping into it and replacing it with IOUs made it unsupportable. Much like the unemployment insurance.

zombie67
10-04-13, 06:43 PM
Yes, we said the same thing.