PDA

View Full Version : Possible new main board thread?

Dandasarge
01-19-11, 12:16 PM
I was wondering if I'm the only one but dose anyone else thinks we need to add a thread for discussions for inter-team things? Like the committee discussion. I have a few other SETI.USA questions that really don’t have a home. I’m going to place them in the forms section but feel it would be better addressed in a Team Thread.

Dandasarge
01-19-11, 12:22 PM
Never mind I’ll post it in the lounge but can we move the committee thing there? I think that is better suited for the topic for now.

DrPop
01-19-11, 01:34 PM
Yes, there have been several discussions on this. I'm pretty sure everyone knows I'm up for a team only forum as well at any time. :D

Nothing like airing dirty laundry in public forums...sigh. :p

Dandasarge
01-19-11, 01:46 PM
Not quite how I ment it.

GregK
01-30-11, 10:20 AM
id like to see a private members only thread also!

STMahlberg
01-30-11, 10:35 AM
I was wondering if I'm the only one but dose anyone else thinks we need to add a thread for discussions for inter-team things? Like the committee discussion. I have a few other SETI.USA questions that really don’t have a home. I’m going to place them in the forms section but feel it would be better addressed in a Team Thread.

Yes, we are lacking one. Any ideas on a name for it?

Yes, there have been several discussions on this. I'm pretty sure everyone knows I'm up for a team only forum as well at any time. :D

Nothing like airing dirty laundry in public forums...sigh. :p

Agreed.

Not quite how I ment it.

Understand but Inter-Team discussions should be private.

;6200']id like to see a private members only thread also!

I believe that most of us would as well.

What we need to do is petition our Friendly Neighborhood Admin. :D

Mr. H and Tera, we want a private forum for Team Only discussions... or we are going to toilet paper your house... btw, where do you live? ;)

GregK
01-30-11, 10:41 AM
being just back.. is terra and mrhankey still around? i ahvnt seen a post yet from either.

mrhankey terra how bout that thread?

name? same as the old id say "members only" but something new more friendly id be cool with.

trigggl
01-30-11, 02:54 PM
;6205']being just back.. is terra and mrhankey still around? i ahvnt seen a post yet from either.

name? same as the old id say "members only" but something new more friendly id be cool with.

Tera hasn't been around since 1969. It's true, just look him up in the member list.
T section of member list. (http://setiusa.free-dc.org/vbforum/memberlist.php?ltr=T&pp=30&sort=username&order=asc)

Mr. Hankey
01-30-11, 03:00 PM
;6205']being just back.. is terra and mrhankey still around? i ahvnt seen a post yet from either.

Hey, I am always around I average 1.72 posts / day how could you miss me?! If I am not posting I am probably fighting off spammers, adding new RSS feeds, checking out new features or working on things like trying to finally get our domain transferred. And funny you should mention this topic about having a team only forum area as we have recently been discussing this admin side since we know this has been a desire of the team.

So... this seems like a good as place as any to propose to you what we had in mind.

First the problem statement: Who gets access, by what criteria, and what happens when someone doesn't meet that criteria anymore once they are "in"? Also this access criteria needs to be applied fairly and the same be you a big stoner or small. Lastly the overhead of applying said criteria and maintaining access cannot consume all of the admin time allocated to the board.

So, what has been clanging around inside our diabolical pea sized admin skulls regarding this topic?

1. Setup a team only forum area: keep the number of boards in that area fairly small like say two : Team Strategy, Project Strategy so private team info goes in the team area and private project info goes in the project area. The thought here is to not have a lot of duplicate posts, if it doesn't need to be in private area then post it out in the correct area in the public forum.

2. Access is granted by request (moderation): I think we can setup additional members that can help with this process to review and approve access.

3. The criteria: K.I.S.S - the one stop record of truth shall be free-dc:
Who is a member of SETI.USA? (http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=userteamcomb&team=SETI.USA). When someone requests access to the forum they provide their CPID and that is what is used to determine their status. Can people defeat our state of the art security measures and gain access? yea... but so what, think of it as going from totally open to semi-private.

Discuss please.

Maxwell
01-30-11, 03:08 PM
Who is a member of SETI.USA? (http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=userteamcomb&team=SETI.USA). When someone requests access to the forum they provide their CPID and that is what is used to determine their status. Can people defeat our state of the art security measures and gain access? yea... but so what, think of it as going from totally open to semi-private.
I'd also include known friends there.

GregK
01-30-11, 03:33 PM
id say we all way overblew the issue previousely about access/denial. i dont think it should be an issue. its not like to often itll be brought up to cut someone so to speak. so it could be dealt with case to case.

Mr. Hankey
01-30-11, 03:37 PM
I'd also include known friends there.

I see what you are getting at, but that is ambiguous and doesn't meet requirement that the criteria be fairly and objectively applied. Known friends are not members of the team per our Free-dc definition. Also why would they want to be involved in our internal workings? If they are that interested they should join back up as a full member!

GregK
01-30-11, 03:48 PM
agreed mrhankey. it should be that simple.

Cappy
01-30-11, 04:10 PM
i would also include semi dressed women with pic's ???? :P :P :P

it all sounds good to me,, but hay who am I :)

Crazybob
01-30-11, 06:16 PM
i would also include semi dressed women with pic's ???? :P :P :P

it all sounds good to me,, but hay who am I :)

I'd go for that, but I don't think Possum would, unless she wants to post some of her male supermodel friends. I'd have to skip over those, but it would be fair.

Seriously, I would like to see a members only place also. It would have to be fair. I also agree, that although we still have contact with Xmembers, if they want to be part, they need to join! I would like nothing better than to see some of them back.

Fire$torm
01-30-11, 10:05 PM
+1 for Mr. Hankey.

DrPop
01-30-11, 11:07 PM
+2 for Mr. Hankey.
It should be that simple. Let's be real - it's not an offense to anyone. Either you have SETI.USA listed as your team, or you don't. There is nothing keeping anyone on the planet from joining and having full rights and privileges that come with 100% commitment.

I agree, there are a small handful that are so good to us, they're "almost" members...but if they feel slighted by this at all, my answer to them (and you know who you are guys, we love you!) is...JOIN US!...please? ;)

STMahlberg
01-30-11, 11:12 PM
Hey, I am always around I average 1.72 posts / day how could you miss me?! If I am not posting I am probably fighting off spammers, adding new RSS feeds, checking out new features or working on things like trying to finally get our domain transferred. And funny you should mention this topic about having a team only forum area as we have recently been discussing this admin side since we know this has been a desire of the team.

So... this seems like a good as place as any to propose to you what we had in mind.

First the problem statement: Who gets access, by what criteria, and what happens when someone doesn't meet that criteria anymore once they are "in"? Also this access criteria needs to be applied fairly and the same be you a big stoner or small. Lastly the overhead of applying said criteria and maintaining access cannot consume all of the admin time allocated to the board.

So, what has been clanging around inside our diabolical pea sized admin skulls regarding this topic?

1. Setup a team only forum area: keep the number of boards in that area fairly small like say two : Team Strategy, Project Strategy so private team info goes in the team area and private project info goes in the project area. The thought here is to not have a lot of duplicate posts, if it doesn't need to be in private area then post it out in the correct area in the public forum.

2. Access is granted by request (moderation): I think we can setup additional members that can help with this process to review and approve access.

Discuss please.

I for one like this. :-bd As I've stated before, I volunteer to help out with such things.

Harley
01-31-11, 01:26 AM
+3 for Mr. Hankey.

Teratoma
01-31-11, 03:35 PM
Tera hasn't been around since 1969. It's true, just look him up in the member list.
T section of member list. (http://setiusa.free-dc.org/vbforum/memberlist.php?ltr=T&pp=30&sort=username&order=asc)

I think you need to refresh that page...it shows the right date for me!

I am here more than you may think, but my involvement has been restricted due to RL & my work schedule.

DrPop
01-31-11, 06:46 PM
I think you need to refresh that page...
I am here more than you may think...

We're not doubting you, bro. Well done on all accounts. Things are shaping up nicely around here, and outlook is looking good. (I'm having a positive day for SETI.USA!) :cool:**==

Teratoma
02-01-11, 09:19 PM
Not worried about doubt...just trying to give trigggl a little hint that the joke is getting old ;)

What Mr. Hankey has laid is simple and fair. Waht's not to like? Complexity will make it a pain to administer and make it confusing for some and frustrating for others. We have enough on our plates, so lets not add any more. If you want the private area we really think this is the best way to go.

Does anyone want to vote on this or should we just forge ahead? We can always change it later if it is not working.

STMahlberg
02-01-11, 10:07 PM
... What Mr. Hankey has laid is simple and fair. Waht's not to like? Complexity will make it a pain to administer and make it confusing for some and frustrating for others. We have enough on our plates, so lets not add any more. If you want the private area we really think this is the best way to go.

Does anyone want to vote on this or should we just forge ahead? We can always change it later if it is not working.

I say, let's move forward. :)

Crazybob
02-02-11, 12:00 AM
Forge ahead!

Oh and snow sucks!

Fire$torm
02-02-11, 12:50 AM
Forge ahead!

Oh and snow sucks!

+10 The more snow there is, the more it sucks. And that's coming from a half Swede!!!

Harley
02-02-11, 01:17 AM
Oh and snow sucks!

That's why I moved to Florida!:D

Crazybob
02-02-11, 08:56 AM
A little off topic, but I'm really pissed my factory decided to stay open. Getting here was rediculous. By the time I realized that, it was too late to turn around, not that i could find a place to do that. Side roads not plowed. Private companies leaving 4 foot piles in the middle of the street that you can't see until your right on them. Man I am stupid for being here. Could have got both me and the wife killed getting here!

DrPop
02-02-11, 10:04 AM
Holy Toledo ...having done my undergrad in Fairbanks, Alaska, and grad school in Davenport, Iowa - I can literally feel your pain. :((

Please wait for a safe moment to trek on home!

Maxwell
02-02-11, 10:30 AM
Please wait for a safe moment to trek on home!
Or call for a delivery snowmobile and stick to back roads... ;)

Crazybob
02-02-11, 11:18 AM
They are soo stupid! This place is about a good city block long. Normal 1st shift is about 500. There are about 15 people here. All machines powered up. All lights on. Heat running. Wonder how much cash they're bleeding to keep the doors open? I think if the streets are passable at lunch, me and the wife are gone! Enough of me ranting, back on topic.

Mr. Hankey
02-03-11, 09:15 PM
Just checking back in here.. I am going to go ahead and sticky this post so I don't lose it and add this to the top of the todo list.

STMahlberg
02-03-11, 10:09 PM
Just checking back in here.. I am going to go ahead and sticky this post so I don't lose it and add this to the top of the todo list.

Thank you Mr. H. :)

Mr. Hankey
02-12-11, 09:02 PM
Ok i created the forum section which you should all see. I also created two sub forums.. which you all should not see since I haven't granted anyone access to the area yet as members of the team.