PDA

View Full Version : Which Haswell Quad core?

Beerdrinker
10-22-13, 12:37 PM
Hey team.

Migth have a shot at a Asus Maximus VI Extreme board. ( I will know within 3 days)

I have a Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo, does that fit that socket?

But the big question is: Which Haswell Quad-core CPU will give best bang for the buck? (have been running AMD for the last 4 years)

Any advice appreciated.

DrPop
10-22-13, 01:33 PM
Do you like to overclock or will you run it stock speeds? Answer changes based on that. ;)

Beerdrinker
10-22-13, 01:38 PM
Probably stock speed. Havenīt done much OC, and havenīt got time to play around.

Fire$torm
10-22-13, 01:53 PM
Yep, that 212 Evo will fit. Note that only the i7-47xx have Hyper-threading support, and all cost about the same. So might as well spend the extra $30 bucks for the K version (unlocked multiplier).

For non-HT Haswell, I'd say the i5-4670K is your best bet.

Beerdrinker
10-31-13, 04:31 PM
Yep, that 212 Evo will fit. Note that only the i7-47xx have Hyper-threading support, and all cost about the same. So might as well spend the extra $30 bucks for the K version (unlocked multiplier).

For non-HT Haswell, I'd say the i5-4670K is your best bet.

But crunchingwise I would want one WITH HT yes?

Fire$torm
10-31-13, 04:50 PM
I would go that route, so yeah HT FTW \m/

Beerdrinker
10-31-13, 04:59 PM
Well, the board should be secured. Just got confirmation today:

http://www.asus.com/dk/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_VI_EXTREME/

I bougth this board extremely cheap. I know itīs a OC board, but I an not planning on using it as such.

So, I need to scrape together for a CPU, and possible some better memory sticks. Any recommendation who wonīt get me broke? ( I am using 2x4GB DDR3 1333 1.5V in current system, are they OK for starters?)

EDIT: I just bougth a normal BLU-RAY player and a AppleTV (3īrd Gen), so I have a lowend HTPC up for sale, which I hope could bring me 200$ in funding for a CPU...

DrPop
10-31-13, 06:30 PM
@Beer - SWEET motherboard my bro! :D I like it. I like it A LOT! :-bd
I know you don't plan on OC with it, but please do - at least a little. You will be amazed, the socket 1150 CPUs are very simple to OC (at least moderate amounts) and do not use too much juice. In fact, an OCed socket 1150 i7 will use less power than your old AMD CPU at stock settings. :)

The CPU you want is an i7 (so it has HT) second generation or higher. That means either Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge, or Haswell.
The part numbers are:
Sandy Bridge: 2600K, 2700K
Ivy Bridge: 3770K
Haswell: 4770K
Definitely try to get a Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge CPU used. Don't worry about spending the extra $ for a Haswell in this situation. Seriously, it won't crunch any better (maybe 1%) and it won't OC any higher. The Ivy Bridge 3770K is the sweet spot, but if you can score a great deal on a used Sandy Bridge - like a 2600K or something like that, then I'd go with it! You could potentially save a lot of money going that route, and only give up 5 to 10% of the performance of the latest and greatest - which you could easily overcome with a small OC on it. :)

Your RAM will be just fine, yes you will get higher benchmarks with faster RAM, but honestly there is no difference at all in my Socket 2011 rigs with 1333 or 1600 RAM, it doesn't change any crunching output - even when I'm OCed to the hilt like hitting 5GHz - the RAM is not the bottleneck, so I'd keep the RAM you have there and put the $ into the CPU.

Beerdrinker
11-01-13, 11:53 AM
@Beer - SWEET motherboard my bro! :D I like it. I like it A LOT! :-bd
I know you don't plan on OC with it, but please do - at least a little. You will be amazed, the socket 1150 CPUs are very simple to OC (at least moderate amounts) and do not use too much juice. In fact, an OCed socket 1150 i7 will use less power than your old AMD CPU at stock settings. :)

The CPU you want is an i7 (so it has HT) second generation or higher. That means either Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge, or Haswell.
The part numbers are:
Sandy Bridge: 2600K, 2700K
Ivy Bridge: 3770K
Haswell: 4770K
Definitely try to get a Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge CPU used. Don't worry about spending the extra $ for a Haswell in this situation. Seriously, it won't crunch any better (maybe 1%) and it won't OC any higher. The Ivy Bridge 3770K is the sweet spot, but if you can score a great deal on a used Sandy Bridge - like a 2600K or something like that, then I'd go with it! You could potentially save a lot of money going that route, and only give up 5 to 10% of the performance of the latest and greatest - which you could easily overcome with a small OC on it. :)

Your RAM will be just fine, yes you will get higher benchmarks with faster RAM, but honestly there is no difference at all in my Socket 2011 rigs with 1333 or 1600 RAM, it doesn't change any crunching output - even when I'm OCed to the hilt like hitting 5GHz - the RAM is not the bottleneck, so I'd keep the RAM you have there and put the $ into the CPU.

Thanks for the recomendations!! Well I am off to search for a deal on a CPU then!

John P. Myers
11-01-13, 12:00 PM
Wait!!!! lol

You already picked out the motherboard, and because of that, you must get an Intel 4xxx CPU, such as the 4770K or lower, but no 3xxx (Ivy Bridge) or any 2xxx (Sandy Bridge) will work. Haswell (4xxx series) only.

Beerdrinker
11-01-13, 01:01 PM
Wait!!!! lol

You already picked out the motherboard, and because of that, you must get an Intel 4xxx CPU, such as the 4770K or lower, but no 3xxx (Ivy Bridge) or any 2xxx (Sandy Bridge) will work. Haswell (4xxx series) only.

Guess that makes an easy choice...Haswell 4xxx with HT it is....(that is if I can pull the cash together!)

DrPop
11-01-13, 04:06 PM
Wait!!!! lol

Oh man...that's lame. Why won't they interchange? BIOS limitation on that motherboard?

John P. Myers
11-01-13, 04:11 PM
Oh man...that's lame. Why won't they interchange? BIOS limitation on that motherboard?

I'm not aware of any motherboard of any brand that will allow you to choose between SB, IB or Haswell. I guess you'd say it's a chipset compatibility limitation.

John P. Myers
11-01-13, 04:44 PM
@Beer: If you're 100% sure you're never ever going to overclock, the best CPU you could get is the i7-4771. Same base/turbo speed as the 4770K, but $30 cheaper for a new one (at least here in the US), so hopefully the used price would be cheaper too.

DrPop
11-01-13, 05:05 PM
I'm not aware of any motherboard of any brand that will allow you to choose between SB, IB or Haswell. I guess you'd say it's a chipset compatibility limitation.

D'oh! :P Sorry, I didn't realize it was a different SOCKET. Socket 1150 vs 1155. Oh man, I'm sorry for the confusion. Very strange, there was nothing in Haswell that was worth upgrading the socket for that I can see...hmmm... ;)

Beerdrinker
11-02-13, 03:46 AM
D'oh! :P Sorry, I didn't realize it was a different SOCKET. Socket 1150 vs 1155. Oh man, I'm sorry for the confusion. Very strange, there was nothing in Haswell that was worth upgrading the socket for that I can see...hmmm... ;)

I did not look at the socket...Only the price....

If I reveal the price on this board, you promise NOT to be hit by envy?

I paid 30$ for the board......:cool:

John P. Myers
11-02-13, 10:05 AM
I have been hit by envy...

Fire$torm
11-02-13, 02:09 PM
I have been hit by envy...

Ditto!!!

Man, talk about a HUGE offset of the total build price. Definitely worth spending a few bucks more to get Haswell...... Big congrats there Beer :-bd

Beerdrinker
11-03-13, 04:40 AM
Just found this i7 CPU in a Danish retailer:

http://ark.intel.com/products/75124/

Would it be insane to toss money after this? I mean....65W TDP and still 3.1 Ghz clock. It could save some money on the monthly bill over time. And the price is almost the same.

John P. Myers
11-03-13, 05:47 AM
Just found this i7 CPU in a Danish retailer:

http://ark.intel.com/products/75124/

Would it be insane to toss money after this? I mean....65W TDP and still 3.1 Ghz clock. It could save some money on the monthly bill over time. And the price is almost the same.

Depends what they're asking for it. It *should* be ok but be aware TDP can work in funny ways. When the limit is set low like this, it can prevent the CPU from reaching it's full abilities. With all threads and the integrated graphics all pegged at 100%, something somewhere might take a performance hit to prevent going over the 65W limit. However this *shouldn't* happen since the clock was lowered to 3.1GHz and the graphics clock was lowered to 1200MHz. Also it's very rare for a CPU to hit the max rated TDP without overclocking it. Even with the chips rated at 84W, you'll never actually reach that point without increasing voltage and clock rate significantly. So really you should be fine.

Since it's 13% slower than i7-4771, is it 13% cheaper? :D

Beerdrinker
11-03-13, 06:59 AM
Depends what they're asking for it. It *should* be ok but be aware TDP can work in funny ways. When the limit is set low like this, it can prevent the CPU from reaching it's full abilities. With all threads and the integrated graphics all pegged at 100%, something somewhere might take a performance hit to prevent going over the 65W limit. However this *shouldn't* happen since the clock was lowered to 3.1GHz and the graphics clock was lowered to 1200MHz. Also it's very rare for a CPU to hit the max rated TDP without overclocking it. Even with the chips rated at 84W, you'll never actually reach that point without increasing voltage and clock rate significantly. So really you should be fine.

Since it's 13% slower than i7-4771, is it 13% cheaper? :D

Well the 4770S is 384,41$ converted from the Danish Krone.

The 4771 is 392,02$

and finally the 4770K is 425,88$

How does the math look then? The difference between 4770s and 4771 is only around 6$, and from 4771 to 4770K is around 32$ (converted prices) Thereīs no shipment in those prices, but they would be the same.

John P. Myers
11-04-13, 12:34 AM
Hmmm...i dunno...flip a coin? :) Personally i'd have to get the 4771 - so much faster for only 2% more money. But i know you're more concerned with electricity usage, and the 4770S should be a good chip, so go with that :-bd

Beerdrinker
11-04-13, 11:11 AM
Hmmm...i dunno...flip a coin? :) Personally i'd have to get the 4771 - so much faster for only 2% more money. But i know you're more concerned with electricity usage, and the 4770S should be a good chip, so go with that :-bd

Iīm taking a shot at the 4771 then. Itīs only 6$ more, and my current CPU have a TDP of 95W. With the 4771 I am getting 8 "cores" on a lower power consumption.

DrPop
11-04-13, 12:33 PM
Iīm taking a shot at the 4771 then. Itīs only 6$ more, and my current CPU have a TDP of 95W. With the 4771 I am getting 8 "cores" on a lower power consumption.

You the man. If you can swing the 4771, you will be happy with it for a longer period of time, because it is considerably more crunching power for less than watts than you are currently running in your old AMD setup. And congrats on the motherboard - what an awesome deal! :)

c303a
11-04-13, 02:09 PM
Way to go Beer. Now let's see the results. Hope you get it up and running for the challenge!

John P. Myers
11-04-13, 02:25 PM

Nice :) A huge chunk of that 84W is from the HD 4600 graphics. If you'd still like to save more electricity, you can disable that and use a GPU instead, which you may do anyway :p

Beerdrinker
11-04-13, 04:17 PM
Nice :) A huge chunk of that 84W is from the HD 4600 graphics. If you'd still like to save more electricity, you can disable that and use a GPU instead, which you may do anyway :p

Yeah. Iīd like to get me a Ati7750 GPU instead of this old Ati 5500 serie I have...But that will have to come later. Rigth now my priority is to scrape together for a CPU....:)