PDA

View Full Version : Who´s buying??

Beerdrinker
11-02-13, 09:30 AM
http://www.dellhpcsolutions.com/dellhpcsolutions/static/XeonPhi.html

244 threads in your PCI-e port...!

John P. Myers
11-02-13, 10:02 AM
I've wanted one for a couple years now, but i can't find any verification that BOINC will work on it :(

trigggl
11-02-13, 02:05 PM
After browsing some documents, it runs its own OS (Linux) on a virtual network.

Working directly with the uOS Environment Intel® Xeon Phi™ Coprocessor
Since the coprocessor is running Linux and is effectively a separate network node, root or non-root users can log into it via “ssh” and issue many common Linux commands. Files are transferred to/from the coprocessor using “scp” or other means.
The default IP address for the coprocessor as seen from the host is 172.31.<coprocessor>.1, while the coprocessor sees the host at 172.31.<coprocessor>.254 by default. The coprocessor can also be referred to from the host by the alias mic<coprocessor>. For example, the first coprocessor you install in your system is called “mic0” and is located at 172.31.1.1. It sees the host as 172.31.1.254.

It looks like any program you run on it would need to be compiled for it, but you could run anything you had the source code for (boinc). It does support opencl.

Development Environment: Available Compilers and Libraries
 Compilers
o Intel C++ Composer XE 2013 for building applications that run on Intel® 64 architecture and Intel® MIC Architecture
o Intel® Fortran Composer XE 2013 for building applications that run on Intel® 64 architecture and Intel® MIC Architecture
 Libraries packaged with the compilers include:
o Intel® Math Kernel Library (Intel® MKL) optimized for the Intel® MIC Architecture
o Intel® Threading Building Blocks (Intel® TBB)
o Intel® Integrated Performance Primitive (Intel® IPP)
 Libraries packaged separately include:
o Intel® MPI for Linux* OS including Intel® Many Integrated Core (Intel® MIC) Architecture
o Intel® Trace Collector and Analyzer
o Intel® SDK for OpenCL* Applications XE 2013 available at: http://software.intel.com/en-us/vcsource/tools/opencl-sdk-xe

For most people, it's probably more trouble than it's worth.

Fire$torm
11-02-13, 02:21 PM
I've wanted one for a couple years now, but i can't find any verification that BOINC will work on it :(

Well JPM, hands on experience is the best way to test. So like you really don't mind being the guinea pig for "The Team" ???

John P. Myers
11-02-13, 04:46 PM
Well JPM, hands on experience is the best way to test. So like you really don't mind being the guinea pig for "The Team" ???

Ha! I was waiting for someone from some other team to be the guinea pig :D Being out $2k because i got frustrated and tossed it in the nearest ditch would be bad :(

zombie67
11-02-13, 05:36 PM
Ha! I was waiting for someone from some other team to be the guinea pig :D Being out $2k because i got frustrated and tossed it in the nearest ditch would be bad :(

Been there. Done that.

DrPop
11-04-13, 11:49 PM
Been there. Done that.

Oh man, that's bad. :( The only problem is, I'm pretty sure you have been there! :p

Slicker
11-05-13, 03:00 PM

Add another $5K-10K for the Intel compiler. They don't just give that stuff away. The reason most Windows users use Visual Studio is because it costs soooo much less than the Intel compiler. And, if you only need simple apps, Visual Studio Express is free. Also, if it runs Linux, why isn't there a GCC version for it? Hmmm...

circeseye
12-30-13, 05:49 PM
ok i know this is alittle old of post but. will this work in a home pc? or does it need to be a server rack? the 1600.00 one looks like a good one to try if it will crunch and work in a normal style pc