PDA

View Full Version : Could use some help for these team MegaMilestones: Jan 2011

NJCaNS
01-21-11, 02:01 AM
Data gathered: 1/20/11
I'll try to update this post as these team MM goals are reached.

Quick summary:
Jump on Aqua (Accomplished 3/5/11),
Work GPU Grid (Accomplished 2/11/11),
Hit SIMAPP (Accomplished 2/7/11),
Added 2/16:
Chip in on AndrOINC (Accomplished 2/24/11),
Work Iber (Accomplished 2/8/11),
Get on Leiden (Accomplished 3/4/11),
stay with WUProp (Accomplished 3/3/11), and
Get EON over 1 Million (Accomplished 2/15/11)
Added 2/16:
Get CAS@Homeover 1 Million (Accomplished 3/6/11).

All Team MM project total goals for the current period have been reached. Thanks team mates. Check out the post on the Team Top Ten MM that appears in this same forum if you are looking for a project to get involved with for a couple of months
Also look for an updated (new post) sometime next month as to what next and see what we accomplished on Team MM this first quarter of 2011.

Details by MM level follow. Join group Team Mega Milestones for more details.

Column 1 is current rank in world
Column 2 is # of project at milestone
Column 3 is # of project soon to make it (subjectively determined)
Column 4 is Team Name

1 Billion MM

1 5 0 SETI.Germany
2 4 2 SETI.USA
2 4 0 Sicituradastra
2 4 0 Team 2ch
5 3 0 Czech National Team
5 3 1 L'Alliance Francophone

Observation: Good opportunity to get and hold a first place!!!! PG is virtually automatic in a few days. Aqua is also close and will make us sole possessors of #1 for awhile. Update 1/22: PG is over 1 billion!! We are tied for first place with SG!!
Recommendation: jump on Aqua so we get it there quicker (besides Aqua is the best CPU source of points). Update 3/5: Aqua is over 1 billion!! We are now in sole procession of #1 in this Team MM. SG and 2ch have been relegated to #2's and LAF continues to live in #4 land. Pop open your choice of cold ones in celebration!!

500 Million MM

1 7 0 L'Alliance Francophone
2 6 0 SETI.USA
2 6 0 Team 2ch
4 5 1 SETI.Germany
5 Four teams are in 5th place.

Observation: LAF owns 1st place by themselves and we are in a 2nd place tie with 2ch and eventually SG. Recommendation: None, no quick/easy solution.

250 Million MM

1 10 0 L'Alliance Francophone
2 9 0 Czech National Team
3 8 0 SETI.Germany
3 8 1 SETI.USA

Observation: NEED TO ATTACK!!! Have a chance to move up to 2nd here. Recommendation: is to hit GPU Grid. Update 2/11: GPUGrid is over 250 million!! We are tied for second place at this level!!

100 Million MM

1 15 0 L'Alliance Francophone
2 13 0 Czech National Team
2 13 0 Planet 3DNow!
2 13 1 SETI.Germany
5 12 0 SETI.USA
6 11 0 Canada

Observation: WE ARE SCREWED HERE!!! We have nothing in the hopper. Planet 3D just passed us and SG will reach 14 projects at this level. All of which leaves us in 5th place!! Recommendation::((b-( We should congratulate 3D on this nice MM.

50 Million MM

1 19 0 L'Alliance Francophone
2 15 0 SETI.Germany 5 million away from next
2 15 1 SETI.USA
4 14 0 Planet 3D Now

Observation: Good opportunity to push SG temporarily down to 3rd. Recommendation: Get SIMAPP over 50 Million (they have work at the moment). Update 2/7: SIMAPP is over 50 million!! We are back to being tied for second place with SG @ 16 projects at this level!!

25 Million MM

1 23 0 L'Alliance Francophone
2 20 0 SETI.Germany 2 million away from next one
2 20 0 Planet 3DNow! 1.8 million away from next one
4 19 0 SETI.USA YOYO 4.7 Million away from next one
5 17 0 Ars Technica
5 17 0 BOINC Synergy 2.5 million away

Observation: We are weak here. YoYo is 4.7 million credits away. Recommendation: Focus on other MM's for now. Added 2/16: Get on the fast moving AndrOINC project and we can erase this ugly 4th place ranking we have. Update 2/25: AndrOINC is over 50 million!! Ugly 4th place erased but we are only tied for 3rd with SG now. Planet 3DNow! picked up one more also.

10 Million MM

1 34 1 L'Alliance Francophone
2 28 0 SETI.Germany
2 28 2 SETI.USA
4 27 1 Ars Technica

Observation: Attack this one! We are in good position to get in front of SG for #2 and with a cushion. Recommendation: I'll work Iber but could use some help and looks like Mumps will do Enigma by himself. Update 1/22: Enigma is over 10 million!! SG dropped to #3! Update 2/8: Iber is now over 10 million!! We have a 3 project lead over SG for #2 but sit 4 projects behind LAF for first.

5 Million MM

1 45 0 L'Alliance Francophone
2 39 0 SETI.Germany
3 38 2 SETI.USA
4 33 0 BOINC Synergy

Observation: Attack this one too. We can get a 2nd even when SG's next project reaches this MM. Recommendation: Hit Leiden Update 3/4: Leiden passes 5 million!! We have a 3 project lead over SG for #2 but sit 3 projects behind LAF for first and WUProp. Update 3/3: WUProp passes 5 million!! We have a 2 project lead over SG for #2 but sit 4 projects behind LAF for first.

1 Million MM

1 68 1 SETI.USA Eon 130k away
2 67 1 SETI.Germany 100k away
3 66 0 L'Alliance Francophone
4 59 0 BOINC Synergy

Observation: An MM we're actually in first on!! We need to defend this one! Recommendation: Critical to push EON over 1 Million. Update 2/15: EON is over 1 million!! Added 2/16: Get on the CAS@Home project and we can pick up another 1 million project cushion. Update 3/6: EON is over 1 million!!

END NOTE: I'll do separate posts with recommendations for the Team Mega's for Top 10 in a project and Team #1 when I get a chance.
Thanks for any help you can provide and happy crunching for SUSA.

Maxwell
01-21-11, 02:19 AM
My thoughts, for s***s and giggles:

NJ has some great points up there and some great guidance. I suggested AlmereGrid to the BlackOps folks to get that one closer to the 1M MM (it's not too far away). AndrOINC is also going to go over 1M soon, since the credits there are awesome at the moment. So check that out too...

On 5M MMs: Two additional ones to pay attention to: DistRTGen now has a CUDA app, so if you have a CUDA card and want some quick milestones there, jump on it. Also, my next quest is a 1M in DDM, which will get is remarkably close to the 5M there, so that might be another opportunity if anyone is interested.

Great stuff, NJ, and thanks for posting!!! :cool:

NJCaNS
01-21-11, 03:14 AM
Admins: can you put a stickie on this until we get most of these MM's reached? Or tell me how to since I didn't see that option when posting.

Thanks for the input Maxwell especially about AndrOINC since it's so new and I suspect won't be around long since it has only has one purpose.

Just a reminder about the purpose of posting these suggestions. This isn't an attempt to be an exhaustive list. These are projects that are very close to reaching a MM for the team and I just want to make sure they get to the MM and not become a GeneticLife. It also keeps SUSA up in the rankings on particular MM's. Some are stalled with low RAC's for various reasons and just need a little focus/push to get there.

I hope to review the MM situation periodically (quarterly?) to see if any special focus on a project is needed. I might also mention some projects that are in critcal MM levels and will need a long term effort. These long term MM's will be mostly for members looking for a suggestion for a "park and crunch" project they can just sit on.

Maxwell
01-21-11, 03:59 AM
Btw, when NJ says "don't become another Genetic Life" he means that we don't want another project that ends just short of a MM - GenLife was about 150k short of 10M. So this is a plan to hit projects so as not to fall just short of a MM...

Maxwell
01-21-11, 10:19 PM
First update of awesomeness: Thanks to Mumps, the team is now over 10M in Enigma. Way to go team, and thanks for the recent push, Mumps!!!

Fire$torm
01-22-11, 06:54 PM
First update of awesomeness: Thanks to Mumps, the team is now over 10M in Enigma. Way to go team, and thanks for the recent push, Mumps!!!

Good job Mumps and TY Maxwell for the update.

NJCaNS
01-23-11, 01:16 AM
Prime Grid crossed into 1 Billion credit land today also. We are now tied with SG for #1 with the most projects reaching 1 Billion. When Aqua reaches 1 Billion in about 40 days or so we'll be sole owners of first place. If people hit Aqua we'll get there sooner.

The original post reflects these 2 MM from today.

SimApp is just under 600K from 50 million but only doing 42K a day. I'm tempted to jump over there to help get it there sooner because Iber is progressing slowly but haven't decided yet. I know people are busy on other projects but if someone(s) will jump to SimApp, I'll join you.

Maxwell
01-23-11, 01:18 AM
And and and, we crossed 1M at AndrOINC today. Yay!!!

NJCaNS
01-23-11, 01:32 AM
And and and, we crossed 1M at AndrOINC today. Yay!!! Just noticed that. But get the story straight: you guys did that in just one day with 1.2 million just today. Show offs. :)

But can you get to 5 million in a week?

zombie67
01-23-11, 01:57 AM
Just noticed that. But get the story straight: you guys did that in just one day with 1.2 million just today. Show offs. :)

I'm doing my part!

But I think the answer to your question is YES.

;)

Maxwell
01-27-11, 08:53 AM
Just noticed that. But get the story straight: you guys did that in just one day with 1.2 million just today. Show offs. :)

Easily. We passed 5M a couple days ago. 39 5M projects now. Yay!

Maxwell
01-31-11, 09:46 AM
And we passed 10M in AndrOINC the other day. That is our 30th in that MM category, and keeps us solidly in 2nd place in that category.

NJCaNS
02-08-11, 12:28 AM
First goal reached, SIMAPP is over 50 million. First post has been updated to show the accomplishment. :-bd

Update the next morning: Iber is now over 10 million. Two goals down. :-bd:-bd

Question then becomes EON or Leiden for me to work next?

Maxwell
02-08-11, 09:42 AM
Question then becomes EON or Leiden for me to work next?
This might sound ridiculous, but make sure you have Java installed and go run Distributed Data Mining. It's closer than Leiden, but I'm going to pull off it once I hit my 1M (which will be before we get the team 1M). If you can push that, NJ, I'll push Leiden.

Edit: I may have to revise this. I'm testing Enigma right now, and I may have to hit it hard to get the 1M there before the project up and dies. I'll keep you posted.

Maxwell
02-11-11, 10:00 PM
Ok. So it has been decided. I am going to hit Leiden for my next 1M, which means I'll be putting in 900k, which will take us well over the 5M Team MM.

So if folks are paying attention to our needs for Team MMs, other projects could be focused on more...

NJCaNS
02-11-11, 10:38 PM
Ok. So it has been decided. I am going to hit Leiden for my next 1M, which means I'll be putting in 900k, which will take us well over the 5M Team MM.

So if folks are paying attention to our needs for Team MMs, other projects could be focused on more...OK by me. I'll go to 100K or so and stop Leiden and go else where: there are several choices.
Leiden is a project that's not in the top 10 but close so depending on how well you do, I might be back to it.
EON's my next target and it too is a candidate for top ten MM status. And it's so much fun watching little 5 minute WU's crunch, finish and immediately get new WU's.

BTW: GPUGrid just reached 250 million credits. That's our third team MegaMilestone on this hit list. Good work troops.

Maxwell
02-14-11, 11:19 PM
DDM Just passed 5M! Go team!

@NJ: Can you update the first post with more goals? I like keeping an eye on them...

One more day of production like today and we'll hit the 1M mark for eOn. AlmereGrid is close to 1M as well, but I'll be pulling off it when I hit my 100k (maybe some of the eOn folks can help pick up my slack?).

Nice work, folks!

Cappy
02-15-11, 09:50 AM
i jumped on Eon wt you guys for alittle while :) needed a change anyway ....

denim
02-15-11, 10:35 AM
Now I see where Maxwell started his process of smoking me in Leiden. ;)

Maxwell
02-15-11, 12:16 PM
Now I see where Maxwell started his process of smoking me in Leiden. ;)
Yeah, you're one of the unfortunate casualties on my 1M quest. I can't wait for pendings to start validating as quickly as I'm putting them in there so that I get a real idea of what my overall production is.

zombie67
02-15-11, 12:28 PM
Yeah, you're one of the unfortunate casualties on my 1M quest. I can't wait for pendings to start validating as quickly as I'm putting them in there so that I get a real idea of what my overall production is.

Don't set your expectations too high. Credits are poor. But it s a hard MM to get, and that is good, because others will avoid it. So you will have one more than the rest.

Maxwell
02-15-11, 03:14 PM
Don't set your expectations too high. Credits are poor. But it s a hard MM to get, and that is good, because others will avoid it. So you will have one more than the rest.
I'm pretty much getting what is claimed. Once I max out, I guestimate I can probably do about 25-30k/day. Nowhere near the 80k+/day I was getting with DDM, but better than SETI. ;)

NJCaNS
02-15-11, 11:48 PM
DDM Just passed 5M! Go team!

@NJ: Can you update the first post with more goals? I like keeping an eye on them...

One more day of production like today and we'll hit the 1M mark for eOn. AlmereGrid is close to 1M as well, but I'll be pulling off it when I hit my 100k (maybe some of the eOn folks can help pick up my slack?).

Nice work, folks!I'll see what I can do. I only expected to do this quarterly and was hoping to hit all goals before making a new list but we're seeing real progress on some of these milestones by mentioning them in this type of post.
WOW!! I see we're now 1 or 2 in a lot of MM categories now!! Really nice work and good team advertising while we re-group. Nice work!!! I'll amend the original post to add a few projects.

I also want to mention (reiterate) that the goal of this type of unified goal post (goal post: that's funny, also nice concept too) is not to identify projects about to reach a Team Mega Milestone but to identify ones that appear to be stagnant, need a boost or ran out of gas just short of a Team MM. So while hitting these projects, other projects might also reach an MM level without the assistance of a "goal post". :-).

Come on Maxwell, you can hang with AlmereGrid a bit longer to make sure it gets over 1 million. [-O< We'll be there in less than 5 days. >:D<

Now the good news: EON has reached the 1 million MM level. This re-enforces the team's lead in this category. I'll update the first post shortly.

Maxwell
02-16-11, 01:27 AM
Come on Maxwell, you can hang with AlmereGrid a bit longer to make sure it gets over 1 million. [-O< We'll be there in less than 5 days. >:D<
Can't do it, for two main reason (both of which are Bok's fault):
1. I have one top-10 ranking in a MM category (or will once the stats run off tonight).
2. I am ahead of zombie67 in one MM category.

These are in the "Boks" category. AlmereGrid will go to above 100k, and less than 101k. And it will sit there for the time being. ;)

Thanks for updating this! Quarterly or every-other month or something of the sort is fine as well. My main issue for prompting you is that we seem to have hit most of the ones you mentioned.

Keep us posted. And my feeling is that, as a general rule, any project under 1M for the team is worth hitting until we get there.

zombie67
02-16-11, 09:34 AM
I will stay on almeregrid for another 15k, which is when I hit my 250k there. I will be back later to boost it up to the next. But I have some other projects sub-250k that need work first.

Also, Bok just added the missing 2.5M MM to the team stats. We were already #1 there, so that was totally effortless and *sweet*! :cool:

Cappy
02-16-11, 10:21 AM
why has AlmereGrid site been messed up for like ever...

always a mysql error for to many connections...... anyone???

zombie67
02-16-11, 10:22 AM
why has AlmereGrid site been messed up for like ever...

always a mysql error for to many connections...... anyone???

Yep. It is always overloaded. Just ignore the error messages.

Bok
02-16-11, 11:01 AM
And the 'send password' doesn't work and any emails sent to the address on the frontpage never get a response! One of the few projects I've NEVER been able to crunch because I can't get to my account :(

denim
02-16-11, 03:12 PM

Have run me down in every project. ;)

Cappy
02-16-11, 04:37 PM
Yep. It is always overloaded. Just ignore the error messages.

ya well i finally got through and am smackin a few wu's around :) i cruched the other but this 1 is new... musta been when the project was alpha

NJCaNS
02-25-11, 09:47 AM
Updated: another Team Mega Milestone goal reached. AndrOINC reaches 25M.

I've decided to jump to CAS@Home to work that one for now. Aqua is progressing but you guys have to get that one there.

We now have a foot race on whether Leiden or WUProp will accomplish their goal first on reaching 5 million.

Mumps
02-25-11, 10:05 PM
Updated: another Team Mega Milestone goal reached. AndrOINC reaches 25M.

I've decided to jump to CAS@Home to work that one for now. Aqua is progressing but you guys have to get that one there.

We now have a foot race on whether Leiden or WUProp will accomplish their goal first on reaching 5 million.

And don't ignore that DistrRTgen should hit 5 mil within 7 days as well. Three fresh Team 5 Mil projects coming up in the next week. Sweet!

Malaria is coming along. I should hit my 2.5 Mil in about 12 more days. With that extra ~14% the team has thrown in we should hit that 10 Mil in about 18 days.

NJCaNS
03-03-11, 10:40 PM
WUProp's 5 million goal finally reached.
Three goals left and all are close.

Maxwell
03-03-11, 10:49 PM
WUProp's 5 million goal finally reached.
Three goals left and all are close.
Awesome! That's great news!

And now that VP is out of work again, my Leiden production should be back up ~10k/day or so from where it has been...

NJCaNS
03-04-11, 08:27 PM
Leiden's over 5 million. Thanks Maxwell.

That's 2 Team MM in two days. If Aqua doesn't go over until after midnight then we'll have 3 in 3 days.

Then I (we) just need CAS@Home to get over Sunday for a quad-fecta (kind of).

trigggl
03-04-11, 08:46 PM
I've got to say SZTAKI feels like a float trip I had in Texas once. The wind was blowing us upstream. When the water was actually moving forward it was too shallow to float across. We were either rowing or carrying the canoe just to move forward. That's what SZTAKI feels like, twice the work for half the gain.

Maxwell
03-04-11, 09:34 PM
And don't forget that AlmereGrid will head over 1M in probably two days. So there's another one. And DistRTgen is less than a week away from the 5M stone...

Yay for recent stones, team!

zombie67
03-04-11, 10:52 PM
I think this team will be strongest with the smaller MMs. We can get a good lead and then keep it.

Maxwell
03-04-11, 11:14 PM
I think this team will be strongest with the smaller MMs. We can get a good lead and then keep it.
I would probably agree that. Something tells me that Team 100M is going to be our arch-nemesis... :(( :p

zombie67
03-05-11, 12:01 AM
I would probably agree that. Something tells me that Team 100M is going to be our arch-nemesis... :(( :p

Last time I checked, there is no value difference between the different MMs. ;)

In fast, the bigger MMs are easier to get, in a way. One can always assign more resources to get them. But the smaller are harder, or even impossible, if the project(s) is dead. No way to may up ground.

NJCaNS
03-05-11, 11:17 AM
Aqua flows over 1 BILLION!! We are in sole procession of #1 on this Team MM plateau. SG and 2ch are tied for 2nd with LAF wallowing in 4th place.

Three Team MM's in three days. I'll see if I can make it 4 in 4 days with CAS@Home.

Remember two things at least. These Team MM's are only marginally important compared to or relative to being #1 in total credits and RAC. The other thing is the goal of this project was to improve the Team MM positions a bit for appearance and any bragging rights (and to be a thorn in other team's sides) but more importantly not let a MM be needlessly missed for lack of a little attention to a stalled or neglected project (No more GeneticLife's).

Once all goals in this post are met the next installment of this team MM project will have to involve longer term efforts from other team members to improve our Team MM positions.

NJCaNS
03-06-11, 02:43 PM
Aqua flows over 1 BILLION!! We are in sole procession of #1 on this Team MM plateau. SG and 2ch are tied for 2nd with LAF wallowing in 4th place.

Three Team MM's in three days. I'll see if I can make it 4 in 4 days with CAS@Home.

Remember two things at least. These Team MM's are only marginally important compared to or relative to being #1 in total credits and RAC. The other thing is the goal of this project was to improve the Team MM positions a bit for appearance and any bragging rights (and to be a thorn in other team's sides) but more importantly not let a MM be needlessly missed for lack of a little attention to a stalled or neglected project (No more GeneticLife's).

Once all goals in this post are met the next installment of this team MM project will have to involve longer term efforts from other team members to improve our Team MM positions. Update: CAS@Home is over 1 million so it was four Team MM in four consecutive days. The vacuum created by this flurry of activity apparently sucked AlmereGrid into the 1 million credit column today also. Nice work team.

I'll see if I can do something that shows the changes over the last 2-3 months from this focus.

Look to the Team Top Ten MM post in this same forum to see if you can help with beefing up another Team MM category. If that's what floats your boat. :)

denim
03-09-11, 11:48 AM
I've got to say SZTAKI feels like a float trip I had in Texas once. The wind was blowing us upstream. When the water was actually moving forward it was too shallow to float across. We were either rowing or carrying the canoe just to move forward. That's what SZTAKI feels like, twice the work for half the gain.

Lolol. Well said, I have been on it for nearly 18 months for the most part, and still only 60k. :rolleyes:

trigggl
03-09-11, 01:41 PM
Lolol. Well said, I have been on it for nearly 18 months for the most part, and still only 60k. :rolleyes:
Well, there was a bit of a ramp up. I'm doing ok, now, though.

Mumps
03-19-11, 11:11 AM
Well, we did it. The team now has 10 Mil in MalariaControl.

Movin' on. Nothing left to see here. :)

Anybody interested in a 25 Mil push on YoYo? I'll throw in 1.5 Mil on it starting in about a week or two. If we vote Maxwell into making it another 1 Mil target for him, that leaves less than 2 mil for the rest of the team to throw in.

Maxwell
03-19-11, 12:17 PM

Anybody interested in a 25 Mil push on YoYo? I'll throw in 1.5 Mil on it starting in about a week or two. If we vote Maxwell into making it another 1 Mil target for him, that leaves less than 2 mil for the rest of the team to throw in.
Nice work, Mumps! And Yoyo is my next 1M target, but I'm only 11k away from it. Should be there soon...

NJCaNS
03-19-11, 08:34 PM

Anybody interested in a 25 Mil push on YoYo? I'll throw in 1.5 Mil on it starting in about a week or two. If we vote Maxwell into making it another 1 Mil target for him, that leaves less than 2 mil for the rest of the team to throw in. Nice work BlackOps and Mumps. I noticed the climb and appreciate the focused effort to knock down another Team MM and make sure a project doesn't lag just short of a MM. I assume BlackOps will hang around long enough to reach 1 million and knock that Z guy down to 3rd place on the team. :cool:
Personally I'm not sure what's next. Since the team needs over all points I was thinking AndrOINC for me and aiding with pushing it to 50 million. Otherwise I was thinking either Sztaki for maybe a team top ten and pushing it closer to the 5 million level. The other contender would be Chess960 to get it to 1 million. Maybe that would be a good kick hit for BlackOps?
But seriously, we're going to have to focus on overall/maximum points but that's for a different post.

Anyways, thanks again for the 10 million on MC.:)>-

Maxwell
03-19-11, 09:39 PM
So, Chess isn't really an option, since they are not accepting new accounts (if they are, someone people tell me how I can get one). Sudoku would be a good one, since the team is under 1M there and they have steady work at the moment. I have one machine there since (for some odd reason I'm too lazy to diagnose) it refuses to get work via the proxy server. RNA might also work to push it over 2.5M...

zombie67
03-20-11, 12:02 PM
Yeah, I have an account on Chess. I am working it as much as possible. In addition to being closed for new accounts, there is also very limited work. I'll get us to at least 1M.

DrBob
03-20-11, 01:58 PM
Yeah, I have an account on Chess. I am working it as much as possible. In addition to being closed for new accounts, there is also very limited work. I'll get us to at least 1M.HEY, don't forget about me. :))
I'm in for the push for the team's 1M and probably beyond. ;)

zombie67
03-20-11, 08:39 PM
HEY, don't forget about me. :))
I'm in for the push for the team's 1M and probably beyond. ;)

How did I forget!? Sorry about that!

Maxwell
05-08-11, 12:04 AM
Ding!

The team hit 1M for Sudoku yesterday, and that was our 76th 1M. This puts us in 1st place by 4. Yay!

Mumps
05-09-11, 09:19 PM
Otherwise I was thinking either Sztaki for maybe a team top ten and pushing it closer to the 5 million level.

Done and Done. Both the Team 5 Mil and the Team Top 10 (9th) on Sztaki.

zombie67
05-09-11, 11:12 PM
Awesome job!

blah blah blah blah

denim
05-10-11, 12:37 AM
Done and Done. Both the Team 5 Mil and the Team Top 10 (9th) on Sztaki.

Sweet, I will stay on it for a while though.

NJCaNS
05-10-11, 01:35 AM
Done and Done. Both the Team 5 Mil and the Team Top 10 (9th) on Sztaki.Thank you and well done. I was watching and hoping you'd stay with it and you saved me from jumping in there if it wound up just under 5 million.>:D<

Moo! Wrapper erased our ugly 4th place from the 25 million level, will knock SG down to 3rd at 50 million MM and dare we dream, eradicate the super ugly 5th place (turning it into a 2nd place) at 100 million.8->

BTW: what is a Moo! Wrapper? Some sort of genetically engineered leather? 3:-O

DrPop
05-10-11, 01:57 AM
Hmmm, I've been following this thread with a mixed interest, until this last post really got me to thinking. I am not meaning to start a brawl with the MM dudes here. This is a legitimate question. Do you think anyone on S.G. or any other team really does look at these "MM scores" and tries to do battle with us on them? Or is it more like, the other "big teams" are concerned with being #1 overall, and these kind of "MM place holders" come automatically when a big, diverse team crunches whatever the individuals on that team like to crunch?

I'm actually very interested in knowing how many, if any, other crunchers out there look at MM's like some of you do here on this team - it would help our "marketing efforts" if we knew what caught people's eye the most.

zombie67
05-10-11, 02:45 AM
Do you think anyone on S.G. or any other team really does look at these "MM scores" and tries to do battle with us on them?

Particular stats are meaningful to those who feel particular stats are meaningful. QED. :D

Seriously though, you think "total team credits" are important, right? Why? Because you think so? Or because you think others think so? Or...?

There are an infinite ways to measure a marshmallow. Is there a right way? Most popular? Most logical?

I could propose the worst method: A progressive (regressive?) method that applies a correction factor so that we all end up with the same score... Oh yeah, the DA method.

Maxwell
05-10-11, 03:44 AM
If it were true that other teams, or at least some people on other teams, didn't care about these, then several things would be true:

1. SETI.USA would be #1 in pretty much all the lower Team MM categories (we're not).
2. SETI.USA would be actively crunching substantially more projects than the other big teams (we're not).
3. Other teams would not report milestones (they do).
I'm sure there are others, but it's past 2am, and my brain is firing on its last cylinder...

The bigger issue is what "being #1" means. I'm not kidding when I say that I can think of at least (and this is a conservative estimate) 130 different ways to measure "Being #1". Let's look at a few...

- Overall BOINC Combined. Measured here (http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=boincteams). Yep, we're #3, and will probably drop to #4 soon.
- DC-Vault (http://www.dc-vault.com/index.php). This is a measure of overall contribution across all active distributed computing projects. We're ranked 16th.
- Keystrokes counted via Whatpulse (http://whatpulse.org/stats/teams/). We don't have a rank, because we don't have a team. The #1 team? Dutch Power Cows. Who also happens to be fairly highly ranked in both DC-Vault and BOINC Combined.
- Folding@Home (http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teamstats). There are twice as many Folding teams as there are BOINC teams. What's our rank there? 574.

If overall BOINC combined is the only thing people care about, then stop crunching most stuff. Ignore PG challenges. Forget the Pentathlon. Don't respond to any competition request. Put CUDA on PG, ATI on whatever project is paying the most (Moo at the moment, at least for single ATI cards), and CPUs on Aqua and Primaboinca. Ignore everything else and wait for someone from the MM crew to tell you about awesome credits.

Personally, I'd rather the team be ranked #5 in 100 different ways to measure Number One than #1 in very few.

Shadow
05-10-11, 07:00 AM
Speaking of overall boinc combined stats, we hit 16 Billion as a team today!
SG is at #1 with a roughly 2B lead, Laf is 2nd, and Sic is about 1.9B below us in 4th place and gaining fast. I personally prefer to jump on whatever pays the highest and keeps them from passing us. I get the MM's as I go. For a long time, it was MW/Collatz. Then came Dnet. then Dnet was gone. Switched back MW. Now comes Moo. I just happened to hit MM's along the way. Maybe we should prioritize MM's according to credit. Is it really that important that we're #1 in Eon2 that pays about 3 credits per hour per core? MM's provide a goal to achieve, but does it help or hinder the overall goal?

http://www.setiusa.us/content.php?117-SETI.USA-Team-History

Bok
05-10-11, 09:38 AM
I'll give you my take on this..

Yes, other people on other teams are interested in the MM's. I've had quite a few emails/PM's etc from a diversity of teams. Everyone tends to be different and to each their own as to particular goals, whatever makes it fun is what you should do IMO. A number of times over the years my interest has started to wane for differing reasons, but then I look for a new challenge.

That's how the MM's came about. I've got a passion for statistics I guess and I enjoy working with databases. Calculating the MM's is just another way of analyzing the data I collect. Milestones in particular fascinate me, especially the trend analysis of them.

My recent work has been to record the (1st to xxxxxx) milestones. Might badgify (tm) these.. Just a pity I don't have milestone data prior to April 2008.

DrPop
05-10-11, 02:32 PM
OK, thanks to all who responded there. Like I said, wasn't in my mind to start a ruckus - it is no secret what I personally, would like to see for this team's future - this was just to bounce some ideas around.

I personally like to crunch for max credits, and then it's cool to see the MMs come - like hitting 10Mil in something or 50Mil or whatever...that's really cool to see it measured like that! :cool: I like the progress factor.

I wearing two hats here, though. For the next 12 months (if ya'll let me finish out my term :p;)), I have to try to figure out how to grow this team; where to put my effort until the next admin is chosen. Obviously, becoming a farmer and cranking out as many credits as I can while my name's in red here, well, that's part one of strategy. If folks can see I'm putting some blood and sweat and tears into this, then maybe, just maybe it will help unify for the cause a little. :o

The next part of the strategy is trying to get other (primarily USA based) teams to help / merge with us to present a larger USA front to the International BOINC community on challenges, and score boards etc. We're working on it, but have met with serious resistance (not like it wasn't expected, but you still have to put the effort out.)

Third phase, which I'm still mulling over and haven't even started yet, is the marketing campaign.
To quote zombie "you think "total team credits" are important, right? Why? Because you think so? Or because you think others think so? Or...?"

OK, here's the honest truth. If I didn't think other crunchers out there, or any new, or future crunchers "cared" about who was on top, that "#1 Overall World Wide" position would hold little appeal. I would honestly crunch things like Einstein because I like what they're doing.
However, let's be honest with each other. People are superficial. Waaaaay too superficial, let me tell you. In my business I run in to that constantly.
I know that people, once they get "hooked" on crunching, or even just start out of curiosity, well, many don't even join a team. They don't know much about it. The ones that do join a team, join either because of friendship - pull - or they join a "big team". Why? Because folks just want to be winners. It's psychology. You can't reason that out of people. MUCH MORE of our decisions are based on emotion than fact. Maxwell, of all people, can tell you more about this than anyone due to his education.

Therefore, it is imperative that we climb as high in the World Wide Rankings as possible; to strive to attain that #1 overall mark as a goal. It doesn't so much matter that we are #1 today, as the knowledge that we are striving for, and will get there someday. That is the attitude that makes a difference. That is the desire, the "burning" that will bring big crunchers, little crunchers, dedicated crunchers - all of them - to our team.

However, and this is where my question comes in: Are there crunchers out there who are saying, "hmmm...what team has the most 100K's? I'd like to join that one." Or another who says, "hmmm....what team has the most 10Mil's? I have a lot of those, so I'd like to go there."
IF - and it's a BIG IF - there are crunchers new and old, out there who are looking at the stats that way, then our "marketing" pitch and attitude should be to provide a nice place for some of them.

That is why I'm asking the question. How many of those folks are out there? Are they a large %? Even if they are a small % of the total, do they have a large % of the firepower (like Paul L, and Zombie, etc.)
Those are some questions that might make MM's more meaningful to those of us trying to grow the team. My "discussion" has nothing to do with whether or not "#1 Overall" or "MM's" are a "better" way of determining a team's strength or progress. It is literally to each their own - there is, and never will be - cross project parity.
It is simply a matter of deciding together how much weight we should throw into MM's as a team - because they can easily be a personal goal - but we're talking about a team goal here...one of growing, thriving, and being the happiest, most satisfied, best working BOINC team in the world.:)

Mumps
05-10-11, 07:33 PM
Well, DrPop, how about this as a take on your thought process. If having your name at the top of the BOINC overall list seems important, wouldn't it also be great to see your name at the top of most every list a potential recruit might run into? If you start meandering through all these neat little stats pages, and spot that TeamA is in the Top5 in, like, Everything, and happens to align with your interests/nationality/etc, that may sway a Team decision as well. Similar to seeing it mentioned predominantly in all the various Project forums in their Team Recruitment threads...

As Maxwell and Zombie67 mentioned, it really comes down to what catches your eye at the time you're looking around at this stuff.

Shadow
05-10-11, 07:50 PM
It certainly is hard to find a list of stats that we aren't somewhere near the top in. But it also irks me that SG and Laf are 1 and 2 overall. I'm fairly certain we have more high end, high production equipment than they do. We just need to figure out the best way to deploy it to keep the MM's rolling AND make it to the top at the same time.

joker
05-10-11, 08:12 PM
Just a thought here: This is an open forum right?? IMHO, this sort of stuff should be talked about "in house". Again, just a thought.

Cruncher Pete
05-10-11, 09:19 PM
Let me say my two cents worth from an outsider point of view. I am saying an outsider because I am not a full time member and as such I feel my thoughts might just add to ways of improving a team that is already recognized by most as one of the leaders in the field.

You might know the old saying "A Jack of all trades and a master of none", and another, "Together we'll conquer, divided we'll fall". Those two sayings suits the subject under discussion.

So, let's talk about the Jack of all trades first. Whilst you have lots of members, individually they all tend to crunch a project of their choice. For example, I started crunching in memory of relatives and friends who died of cancer and Muscular Dystrophy. As such, initially I chose to crunch WCG and Rosetta. In time I got hooked and expanded to other Biomedical field type projects. Soon, my competitive nature took over and I joined a Team. Because I live in Australia, I joined the biggest team BOINC@Australia because a newcomer or in this case me I felt safe in the comfort of a winning team. After awhile I felt that the team politics did not suit me and they did not have an effective leader I left and created a new team called Aussie Alliance. Unfortunately, I am not a genius in attracting new members and I handed over the leadership of this team to another member leaving me free to do what I wanted, crunch for whoever I wanted and join and or leave a team according to my wishes. One of the things that I did not like about BOINC@Australia was the lack of internal strive or perhaps more correctly their lack of sticking together to make the team get ahead and reach a higher goal. Consequently this team has achieved some great milestones but they are stuck in a loop because they are divided too much without any chance of becoming the top team. Not unlike the Jack of all trades master of none saying.

During the second world war there was a great propaganda person by the name of Goebells in Nazi Germany. This guy in particular was so good at what he was doing that he united the people of Germany for their cause right or wrong and followed Hitler. Now, this might be an extreme example of the united we stand divided we fall cliché it serves to illustrate that if somebody could convince the membership to follow a predetermined Goal whether it be the top team in the world or the top in MM or in deed in any challenge it can be done. On the other hand if the membership continue to follow their own nose you will achieve great results because of the number of members but will never be on top in anything.

I guess what I am trying to say is that it is extremely difficult to recruit new members because in the current economic crisis because people are leaving rather than joining BOINC. So rather than trying a campaign to recruit, why not try an internal campaign to convince current members to set a goal and all stick to it. Having said that one should realize that members are individuals and if pressed too hard they might even leave because it might be perceived as team politics and some just like to crunch irrespective. There is no easy solution...

Maxwell
05-10-11, 09:30 PM
Thanks for chiming in with that, Pete! I agree with pretty much everything, especially the last statement.:cool:

DrPop
05-10-11, 09:48 PM
Thank you all for the small discussion, especially Cruncher Pete for your "semi-team / semi-outsider" viewpoint. Very fitting; whilst my name is in red on these forums, I am hesitant to push too hard toward any one particular goal, lest I be accused of being the last straw that broke the camel's back. That is why I gave up "leadership" of the BlackOps division at the same time. It is an interesting thing, being an Admin on the forum, because you are only a "quasi-leader", and not in truth, the leader of the team. It is very apparent this team has no "rightful leader" at the moment, and we do need to put our heads together on how best to fix that. Possibly a charter similar to what TeaM has ratified or similar type agreement may be in order. Let us all ponder that a bit.

Well, as Joker said, and he is right, I had forgotten this was a public forum. My apologies for that, I will not hijack this thread any longer, and let us resume discussion at a later point and in the private Team Forum.

Fire$torm
01-08-13, 02:19 PM
Out of curiosity....

Anyone interested in doing a new and updated version of this thread for 2013?

Duke of Buckingham
01-08-13, 07:19 PM
Yhea, 2013 is the year of the Eagle a new thread of MM would be very welcome.:D

Do it please F$.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-0Nmhei7Z2A4/Tbp75EGpqpI/AAAAAAAACGE/f_JHkUotgzM/s640/beg-dog.jpg

Fire$torm
01-08-13, 07:22 PM
Errrr hmmmmmmm, I was hoping that someone else would take the lead on this one.

Duke of Buckingham
01-08-13, 07:29 PM
DO IT
http://www.exceptionalsales.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/do-it-now.jpg

Mumps
01-08-13, 10:01 PM
Why bother? Until BOK fixes the MM stats and puts our team back on the board (in first place at many levels, just like we should be) I don't see the point. :)

Actually, if someone would mention it to BOK, I'm sure he'd be on it in a jiffy. :)

Most Milestones
Type Many RankP
Team 1B's 11 1
Team 500M's 12 1
Team 1M's 100 1
TClanks 67 4
Team #1's 27 1
Team top 10's 120 1

Tongue firmly in cheek, and I only noticed it myself just last night, so I was hoping it was just a temporary hiccup on the extraction. But it persists...

zombie67
01-08-13, 10:25 PM
I sent him a message.

Duke of Buckingham
01-09-13, 12:58 AM
Why bother? Until BOK fixes the MM stats and puts our team back on the board (in first place at many levels, just like we should be) I don't see the point. :)

Actually, if someone would mention it to BOK, I'm sure he'd be on it in a jiffy. :)

Tongue firmly in cheek, and I only noticed it myself just last night, so I was hoping it was just a temporary hiccup on the extraction. But it persists...

I sent him a message.

Mumps, we should do our part of the work and thanks zombie. Now I can get back to the laziness.

Lazy Duke

http://graemethomasonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/lazy.gif

Mumps
05-01-16, 08:21 PM
So, seeing as this isn't an Individual MM, I guess this is about the best place to drop it...

Congrats! We just hit "First team to 100 Mil" on dDM (http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=proj&proj=ddm) today!

Time to go look for the next one to put pressure on. :)

Mumps
07-08-16, 10:54 PM
First team to 1 Mil, and 10 Mil, on NanoSurf@home (http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=proj&proj=nns). Should we make first team to 100 Mil a goal as well? I'll keep running it for my own goals too, but not aggressively until I've made it to first User to 100 Mil on dDM... How many folks do we have that will make a 1 Mil or higher MM their personal goals here?

Al
07-09-16, 07:38 AM
I will, I have 500k to add and I'll start that in about a week.

somanyroads
07-09-16, 11:31 PM
nanosurf is the only website I've been to that requires an exclusion on Malwarebytes.