PDA

View Full Version : Space Shuttle NEWS

Ricky Moore
01-21-11, 01:58 PM
NASA has been given the go for another Space Shuttle trip.... this one is set to go in June 2011.

However, They were NOT given any money to do it with!!!

Dandasarge
01-21-11, 08:26 PM
I wounder if they will be selling any super computers to pay for it.

DrPop
01-21-11, 09:13 PM
Yeah...'cuz we need one. :p Maybe they would just lease it to us? I suppose we could get some crazy BOINC credits for the $450 million it will cost to run the mission! :D

Dandasarge
01-22-11, 12:31 AM
Yeah...'cuz we need one. :p Maybe they would just lease it to us? I suppose we could get some crazy BOINC credits for the $450 million it will cost to run the mission! :D

I didnt want to fund the whole thing just pick up a million dollar super computer for a grand.

Ricky Moore
01-25-11, 07:58 AM
At the time I posted this NASA was saying the money may be coming from their "normal" Space Shuttle funds. That could be the reason why they set it for June, so they could have the money.

Dandasarge
01-25-11, 08:33 AM
At the time I posted this NASA was saying the money may be coming from their "normal" Space Shuttle funds. That could be the reason why they set it for June, so they could have the money.

I'm glad they figured out how to do it on less!

Ricky Moore
01-25-11, 11:13 AM
I'm glad they figured out how to do it on less!

That's why I made a point to say they were NOT given the money to do it! However between now and Jun they may change their minds.

I for one would hate to see the Shuttle go. I think they new to build new ones to replace the old ones and make a safer way to get them in orbit. As long as we have a Space Station in Earth orbit we will need a shuttle to take the large parts up. We can't depend on automated rockets for everything.

Cappy
01-27-11, 05:47 PM
understood Ricky but we need more then a Taxi for the Money that is spent for every mission.

all it does is "Shuttle" goods to the USS and orbit our planet..... its way over due that we go back to the moon and beyond.

rgathright
01-28-11, 08:49 AM
understood Ricky but we need more then a Taxi for the Money that is spent for every mission.

all it does is "Shuttle" goods to the USS and orbit our planet..... its way over due that we go back to the moon and beyond.

Are we the only Americans who realize that we need a "Taxi" service to maintain our massive orbiting space station?

Seriously folks, why do we even need to question the need for advancing man kind's efforts in space!:confused:

http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/493947main_iss025e010008_1600_800-600.jpg

STMahlberg
01-28-11, 09:31 AM
Are we the only Americans who realize that we need a "Taxi" service to maintain our massive orbiting space station?

Seriously folks, why do we even need to question the need for advancing man kind's efforts in space!:confused:

The problem is Rule #2... Rule #2 states that people are idiots. We ALL fall into the Rule #2 category at one time or another... #-o I am no exception to this rule. I won't bore you to death with the details of Rule #2; however, I will give you minor detail as to why this applies to your question.

People simply don't grasp the importance of technology nor do they realize the impact that technologies have on all of us. They believe that if they can't see it, it doesn't effect them. If they don't use it, it doesn't effect them.

For example, the electric car, people actually believe that if they drive an electric car that they are single-handedly saving the planet... =)) most seem to have no clue that when they plug their electric car into the outlet that the other end of that outlet is probably hooked up to a coal-fired plant.

STMahlberg
01-28-11, 09:46 AM

I agree with both of you on a couple things. We do need more than a 'taxi' to service the ISS; however, right now, it's all we have. So until carbon nano-tube technologies advance to the point of making a cable or belt that can withstand the forces of physics so that some sort of 'space elevator' can send parts up, we need to continue to use the shuttle and rockets to maintain a presence in orbit.

We also need to go back to the Moon and we need to send Men and Women to Mars.

DrPop
01-28-11, 07:48 PM
We also need to go back to the Moon and we need to send Men and Women to Mars.

Agreed. We are so far behind on this, it's not even funny. They dropped the ball in a big way...