PDA

View Full Version : Hello everyone from Dallas

Iceman
12-14-13, 03:08 PM
I've been out of Seti for a number of years, and got an invite from Berkley to come back and give it another go. The old team I was part of is pretty much inactive, so I decided to join up and add my CPU to SETI.USA Glad to be back and hope my scratch built machine can help out. It's a few years old, one of the first i7-920's motherboards on the market way back when. My video card is even older so I won't be able to do any GPU processing :-( They didn't even have GPU processing when I was doing this before. Things sure have advanced.

Merry Christmas to all,

Harry

c303a
12-14-13, 04:38 PM
Welcome back. Glad you decided to join us. I used to crunch Seti but got tired of Berkeley always begging so I now do a lot of other projects. Take a look around and if you need help we have a great group willing to help so ask any questions you may have.

shiva
12-14-13, 04:55 PM
hello Iceman, I haven't seen your name around for some time now. I have been crunching all along but not seti, I got tired of there problems too. I got their letter the other day too, but guess it will be a while before I go back. glad to see you back in the game. thanks for joining us here at seti.usa.
Merry Christmas to you and yours

Duke of Buckingham
12-14-13, 05:32 PM
Hello Iceman and be
http://img.xcitefun.net/users/2010/03/153764,xcitefun-welcome-back-8.jpg

Slicker
12-15-13, 12:31 AM
Don't feel bad about your i7 920. I still have an AMD 5000 and an Intel Q6600 crunching. (When I get a new one, I just can't bring myself to shut down the old one. Maybe that explains the $300/mo electric bill and we have natural gas for heat, water heater, and stove) Anyway, for under $20 you can get a GPU that will crunch. For under $40, a GPU it will more than double the output of your CPU. If you are looking for a cheap GPU that will crunch reasonably well, let us know how much you want to spend and which project(s) you want to be able to use it on and we'll make some suggestions.

Iceman
12-15-13, 07:01 PM
Don't feel bad about your i7 920. I still have an AMD 5000 and an Intel Q6600 crunching. (When I get a new one, I just can't bring myself to shut down the old one. Maybe that explains the $300/mo electric bill and we have natural gas for heat, water heater, and stove) Anyway, for under $20 you can get a GPU that will crunch. For under $40, a GPU it will more than double the output of your CPU. If you are looking for a cheap GPU that will crunch reasonably well, let us know how much you want to spend and which project(s) you want to be able to use it on and we'll make some suggestions.

I have budgeted $150 for a new video card and usually purchase stuff thru newegg.com. As far as other projects, I guess I am totally open on that front, as when I last did this there were not any other projects except the prime number. My motherboard is an Asus PT6 deluxe, 6gig ram, power supply is an Enermax Liberty 620watt model ELT620AWT 28A +3.3v, 32A +5V, two +12V rails @ 22A each, -12V 0.6A , +5Vsb 3A Says it supports dual PCI-E cards.

Let me know what you think would get the best bang for the buck without going over the limits of my power supply. I have 1 180 gig SSD for the OS, and then several 2TB drives for data.

Iceman
12-15-13, 08:00 PM

I have about $150 that I could spend on a video card (or cards). my motherboard is an Asus 6PT deluxe, 6 gig ram, OS is win XP SP3, power supply is enermax Liberty 620Watt, I have an intel 180gig SSD for the OS, and 4 other traditional HDD's. 1 bluyray drive, and one DVD drive (both are writers as well).

please let me know which card or cards (run two ??) you think would be the best bang for the buck and would stay within my power supplys capability. I normally purchase my pc components from newegg.com