View Full Version : Division identifiers

Dandasarge
01-24-11, 10:26 AM
name [BlackOps]
name [MegaStoners]
name [DefendFB]
name [TopGun]
name [Core]

I just want to make sure that the above identifiers are good to everyone so the proactive people can move forward :)

STMahlberg
01-24-11, 10:48 AM
name [BlackOps]
name [MegaStoners]
name [DefendFB]
name [TopGun]
name [Core]

I just want to make sure that the above identifiers are good to everyone so the proactive people can move forward :)

I like it. :-bd

GregK
01-24-11, 10:51 AM
any idea how to change my name to add? i see the names have changed from original so i guess im in the topgun slot if i want to hit the highest paying projects.

zombie67
01-24-11, 10:51 AM
If we have 5 division names, then we really have 6. There will be the group of users with no division name. They will make up 95%+ of the active users.

So for the stats, do we just lump together core and blank? Or report 6 different groups?

STMahlberg
01-24-11, 11:07 AM
If we have 5 division names, then we really have 6. There will be the group of users with no division name. They will make up 95%+ of the active users.

So for the stats, do we just lump together core and blank? Or report 6 different groups?

Excellent question. I assume that those who are "blank" would fall into the core group since they make up the bulk of the team as far as member numbers.

STMahlberg
01-24-11, 11:09 AM
;5617']any idea how to change my name to add? i see the names have changed from original so i guess im in the topgun slot if i want to hit the highest paying projects.

I haven't tried to change my name on the board to anything yet; all of the STMahlberg.BlackOps [SETI.USA] I had to change on each individual project.

Bok
01-24-11, 11:20 AM
The way I've coded the stats is that the 'division' or 'subteam' will be pulled out of the username for each project. It will look for anything within the square brackets and populate a new column with that, so if you have STMahlberg.BlackOps [SETI.USA] it would place you into a division called SETI.USA. If you want to be in a Division called BlackOps you'll need to change your username to contain [BlackOps]. This will be auto created as a new division/subteam as found, so there is no manual changes on my part (there are a lot of L'AF division which have been created already - only 2 distinct SETI.USA ones so far..)

To show up on the combined stats it'll need to be that on the majority of the projects. I'll be happy to do manual updates for anyone on projects which are no longer updating xml if necessary.

Hope that makes sense..

Bok

Dandasarge
01-24-11, 11:24 AM
I haven't tried to change my name on the board to anything yet; all of the STMahlberg.BlackOps [SETI.USA] I had to change on each individual project.

Yes you will have to change each project. That will take some time for the FB/MM as they should be in every project.

The no names most practically would fall under core. I believe they should stay homeless until they choose. This is mostly for the respect of the older crunchers that are just board inactive. It should work better if people find there own path. We need to try and contact them though if possible to get as many people active in the forms.

STMahlberg
01-24-11, 11:29 AM
The way I've coded the stats is that the 'division' or 'subteam' will be pulled out of the username for each project. It will look for anything within the square brackets and populate a new column with that, so if you have STMahlberg.BlackOps [SETI.USA] it would place you into a division called SETI.USA. If you want to be in a Division called BlackOps you'll need to change your username to contain [BlackOps]. This will be auto created as a new division/subteam as found, so there is no manual changes on my part (there are a lot of L'AF division which have been created already - only 2 distinct SETI.USA ones so far..)

To show up on the combined stats it'll need to be that on the majority of the projects. I'll be happy to do manual updates for anyone on projects which are no longer updating xml if necessary.

Hope that makes sense..

Bok

Has anyone told you recently that you are awesome. :cool:

Yes you will have to change each project. That will take some time for the FB/MM as they should be in every project.

The no names most practically would fall under core. I believe they should stay homeless until they choose. This is mostly for the respect of the older crunchers that are just board inactive. It should work better if people find there own path. We need to try and contact them though if possible to get as many people active in the forms.

I guess I will start changing all of my project names to STMahlberg [BlackOps] then. :)

Dandasarge
01-24-11, 11:31 AM

Hope that makes sense..

Bok

Please correct this if I'm wrong but!

To work correctly we need to have our names "Dan Sargent SETI.USA [Core]"

Next question I have is would the capital letters matter? can it be [CORE] or would that not work correctly?

GregK
01-24-11, 11:35 AM
ok thanks for clearing that up.

Bok
01-24-11, 11:38 AM
Please correct this if I'm wrong but!

To work correctly we need to have our names "Dan Sargent SETI.USA [Core]"

The SETI.USA part of the name is entirely up to you but NOT needed for the division to work. The data already holds your team, so it knows what to make the division's main team as based on that.

Next question I have is would the capital letters matter? can it be [CORE] or would that not work correctly?

I don't think it matters as mysql does not distinguish case unless you distinctly give a BINARY attribute to the column and I haven't in this case. I'll have to do some checks on this though.

Dandasarge
01-24-11, 12:30 PM
Sorry for all the questions but the best way for the info to be posted is to ask.

at somepoint there was talk about bing in 2 divisiona. Will that work? [Core][TopGun]

Bok
01-24-11, 12:45 PM
Sorry for all the questions but the best way for the info to be posted is to ask.

at somepoint there was talk about bing in 2 divisiona. Will that work? [Core][TopGun]

No problem with asking questions, it's still a little fluid at this point anyway whilst I'm still coding and making sure it all works..

No, that won't work, in fact I'm no entirely sure what would happen, likely it would just take the first one. I'd have to recode and have multiple data fields to allow more than one division, would be somewhat messy I think..

Beerdrinker
01-24-11, 01:15 PM

There could be an upside to that one...

There is a sligth chance that members NOT attending the MB, will notice all the Division names on the different projects and think" What´s up with that....I better go check that out"!

Dandasarge
01-24-11, 01:54 PM
There could be an upside to that one...

There is a sligth chance that members NOT attending the MB, will notice all the Division names on the different projects and think" What´s up with that....I better go check that out"!

Yes thats what I am thinking also.

NJCaNS
01-25-11, 01:09 AM

So for the stats, do we just lump together core and blank? Or report 6 different groups?We've been busy little beavers haven't we. Nice to see all this activity.

My first question is when do Cheech and Chong join the MegaStoners? ;)

I think 95% is too low. I think very few people will change their name on projects but those that will, will be very active and supportive to the team. I'm also assuming the same technique used here can come into play with getting other US teams to join us yet keep their own identity or roots?

Some misc. comments on names to consider or ignore as you see fit.

Shouldn't these divisions parallel the team's stated goals? O wait, we don't have those yet. (sorry, cheap shot). Or will the team goals just be reflected in specific goal oriented forums?

name [BlackOps]: Great name.
name [MegaStoners]: At the moment I'm here but I don't think I'd take the time to change my user name on 11+ projects. I guess I wouldn't mind for now being involved with this division.
name [DefendFB]: don't see this as too popular, descriptive or useful especially at the moment and should be part of another group or not created yet. MStoners and BlackOps could cover it on the Defend aspect.
name [TopGun]: Good name but should it be plural?
name [Core]: Purpose? Don't need? Basically anyone who isn't part of another division should be here?