PDA

View Full Version : androic

GregK
01-24-11, 02:02 PM
i restarted and the units started over is that how androic rolls? in boinc prefferences i have it set to retain in memory. maybe i need to set it at the website also?

zombie67
01-24-11, 02:21 PM
There is no checkpointing, I think. If you have "leave in memory" set to yes, then you can suspend/resume them all you want without them starting over....so long as you don't quit BOINC. If you quit BOINC, then the tasks start over.

STMahlberg
01-24-11, 02:22 PM
;5634']i restarted and the units started over is that how androic rolls? in boinc prefferences i have it set to retain in memory. maybe i need to set it at the website also?

If the system pauses for work on Andronic for any reason, the work starts from the beginning.

In the BOINC manager go to advance and then on the processor usage tab make sure that it is set to 0 for no restrictions. I think the default is 25%.

GregK
01-24-11, 02:46 PM
ok thanks. made the change from 25. so now its wait and see how much credit im getting :) i also notice this project runs hot had to turn down my oc to 3.0 was getting up to 98C. now down to 82. some due to all the dust im sure..

DrBob
01-24-11, 03:58 PM
There is no checkpointing, I think. If you have "leave in memory" set to yes, then you can suspend/resume them all you want without them starting over....so long as you don't quit BOINC. If you quit BOINC, then the tasks start over.I do not have BOINC set to leave in memory and from what I'm seeing any restarted WUs do not validate. :( Cost of doing business I guess, just there until I get my 100k MM so not much longer. :)

zombie67
01-24-11, 05:38 PM
I do not have BOINC set to leave in memory and from what I'm seeing any restarted WUs do not validate. :( Cost of doing business I guess, just there until I get my 100k MM so not much longer. :)

If you have "leave in memory" set to no, then anytime a task is pre-empted or suspended in any way, it starts over from the last checkpoint. So if a task does not checkpoint, then it starts over from the beginning.

I have never found a good reason to set it to "no". If free RAM is needed for other stuff, the tasks just gets pushed off onto the disk temporarily, automatically.

Keith
01-24-11, 07:40 PM
What ver of Boinc are you guys running that has this 25% usage setting? I am running 6.10.18 and see no such thing in the advance, preference, CPU tab.

Keith

GregK
01-24-11, 08:08 PM
6.10.58 adv./pref/ about half way down says "while processor usage is less than *****percent (0 means no restrictions)".

zombie67
01-24-11, 08:18 PM
What ver of Boinc are you guys running that has this 25% usage setting? I am running 6.10.18 and see no such thing in the advance, preference, CPU tab.

Keith

It can be set at the project, under computing prefs, or locally on your machine.

Suspend work if CPU usage is above
0 means no restriction
Enforced by version 6.10.30+

Keith
01-24-11, 10:27 PM
Thanks for the answers.....so I am having no problems running the older BOINC manager is there any performance beniefts for upgraded BOINC?

Keith

zombie67
01-24-11, 10:51 PM
Thanks for the answers.....so I am having no problems running the older BOINC manager is there any performance beniefts for upgraded BOINC?

Keith

No performance increase, but added features. Bug fixes too.

trigggl
01-24-11, 11:58 PM
If you have "leave in memory" set to no, then anytime a task is pre-empted or suspended in any way, it starts over from the last checkpoint. So if a task does not checkpoint, then it starts over from the beginning.

I have never found a good reason to set it to "no". If free RAM is needed for other stuff, the tasks just gets pushed off onto the disk temporarily, automatically.

Running a diskless client would be one example of a need to set it to "no". Or if you're running off of a livecd and your entire operating system is running on ram. ...but I don't use the computers at work anymore. :-"