PDA

View Full Version : damn bionic. its a learning experiance

circeseye
12-30-13, 04:23 PM
ok been trying to get bionic to work better. i took slickers advise and installed lunatics. and wow big change i like it. i even added 3 other projects. been having blue screen issues yesterday cause of the crunching. lowered my 3850 to 3.6 and ram to 1600 and everything is better. even cooler running which is good since i had issues. (water pump went out on water had to go back to stock air).
comp is amd 8350, asus evo mb, 8gig 2133(have never been able to run it at stock speed) nvidea gforce 670 4gig, running 24/7

im only running bionic at 50% of cpu and video seems to have no option. today comp is a little stuttery which is weird. so cant game. and everything was fine last night and earlier this morning. hate to suspend bionic. what am i missing?

myshortpencil
12-30-13, 05:34 PM
For more control over the GPU, I like TThrottle at http://www.efmer.eu/boinc/. It will show the temperature of your CPUs/GPUs, at least for Windows. It will also show you their percentage load. If you already have something like this installed, it could be the source of stuttering. Depending on the games you play, even a 50% load on the CPU and/or GPU could be enough to cause stuttering. Personally, I recommend suspending Boinc while playing graphic intensive games.

circeseye
12-30-13, 06:08 PM
nice. thank u. but dammit something else to learn lol

Al
12-30-13, 06:49 PM
JPM is the memory guru, but in my experience, limited though it is, most of my blue screens were memory related. In looking at an evo's specs it doesn't look like they were designed for memory that fast (I may have been looking at a different model than yours) and the 8350, from what I can find, supports up to DDR-3 1866. Dropping it to 1600 helped, you might try bumping the ram voltage a bit too. I run mine at 1.6 and have managed to get my 8150 stable as high as 4.6ghz, but run it 24/7 at 4.5ghz at 54c with a Noctua air cooler. That took a lot of tinkering and help from EmSti and DrPop.

circeseye
12-30-13, 08:56 PM
my evo is the newer rev. it even has a setting for 2133 but still no luck booting it there. my son has an identical comp as mine as its the same. as for the cpu i had stable 4.3 with boost enabled going to 4.7 but like i said about heat im stuck with the stock cooler till i can replace my pump. and lowering the clock to 3.6 running bionic 24hr helped alot.
found out also that the new projects i added are the cause of the video stuttering. apparently the first 2 i was running was not using the gpu after all. but when it started the other 2 i added they did. so i have to pause them gpu when im on now.

John P. Myers
12-30-13, 10:21 PM
To get RAM to run stable at high speeds on AMD motherboards you need to add some voltage to the CPU/NB through BIOS. It may be called something else on your board, but it won't be the plain "NB" listing.

circeseye
01-03-14, 02:07 PM
ok what is going on. 1 its not updating anymore ive been having to do it. 2 i have about 10 project that are almost done but it hasnt went back to them

Duke of Buckingham
01-03-14, 02:14 PM
ok what is going on. 1 its not updating anymore ive been having to do it. 2 i have about 10 project that are almost done but it hasnt went back to them

There are some files inside BOINC, as cc_config that can be edited and changed to force the projects to report immediatly but I dont remember the real change on them, someone help in here please. I can use that when I change to Windows, the damn Linux consider the Boinc files as not being owned by me, not even on terminal.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR, I get very mad with this Linux.

circeseye
01-03-14, 02:18 PM
dont say that im planning on making 3 linux crunchers lol

Duke of Buckingham
01-03-14, 02:20 PM
dont say that im planning on making 3 linux crunchers lol

You are smarter than me ... :((

circeseye
01-06-14, 01:12 PM
arrrgghhhh wtf. i built then newest comp i have laying around. intel8400@3 gig, 8 gig 1033, gigabyte ga-ep45-ud3p, 160gig 7200rpm, i have a 7770 and a 5770 for it. got ubunto 13.10 (read it works with bionic) slapped it on a usb stick and...........nothing. changed bios settings and......nothing. changed again after reading and ........nothing. wtf. wth am i missing to install the os from a usb drive? (and no i havent made a cd or dvd in over 2 years) so creating a disk is out. i had all the bios setting to boot from the usb even. tryed in iso format and i even removed it. and nothing. argh this is frustrating.

and yes first time working with linux

circeseye
01-06-14, 10:03 PM
well finally found out i needed a program that makes the usb stick a sort of install drive. sigh wish i had found that yesterday

Fire$torm
01-12-14, 04:38 PM
Yeah, sorry I missed this thread but glad you found a solution.
Out of curiosity, did you use one of the utilities from PenDriveLinux (http://PenDriveLinux.com)?

circeseye
01-12-14, 04:44 PM
actually linuxlive usb creator 2.8.27. this takes linux u want to install and sets the usb up completely. like it was a install disk

and wow thanks for that link. i will have to try that out