PDA

View Full Version : ok fellow crunshers

circeseye
01-02-14, 02:54 PM
i have a few extra comps floating around. 1 is a core2duo 8400 3.0 gig cpu and the mobo has a couple pcix slots. the other ones (4 i think)i think are pent 4's but i have p4 cpus up to 3.8. w/ht and i believe they all have pcix.
now video cards i have alot of. but all ati. 1900xtx, 3770, 5650, 5750, 5770, 6550, 6570, 7650, 7750, 7770 (i think thats it lol.)

will these work? if so which would be better running together.

thinking about running linux on them. but i do have all os's. thinking linux cause of the p4's and how lite they are. also which linux would be best for me since i really dont have much experience with it but i am a fast learner when it comes to computers.

all advise and ideas welcomed

litehouse43
01-02-14, 03:35 PM
You'll want to group things together into complete builds as much by year designed as possible. You don't want new components in with all other older computers since it will just get bottleknecked. Similarly you'll want to look at the connection types. Wouldn't put an PCIe x16 capable card in a slower slot since it won't get utilized. I'd start by mapping out the general ages of everything and trying to put together complete systems that way.

shiva
01-02-14, 04:59 PM
power supplies are a problem in older machines. ok for the older cards but not for the new ones.

circeseye
01-02-14, 05:34 PM
power supplies r not a problem i have a bunch. the only thing old is the mobo and cpu when it comes to the p4's. i have newer stuff for everything else.

zombie67
01-02-14, 07:26 PM
1900xtx will not crunch.

circeseye
01-04-14, 03:12 PM
looking at the different linux what would u guys recommend. like i said i learn pretty fast but still need one thats little resource but easy for me to learn.
and im seeing set ups with both nividea and amd cards in them? how in the hell? if i can add a amd card to my present comp that would help increase crunching.

Duke of Buckingham
01-04-14, 03:23 PM
Linux+GPU=PAIN

I use Ubuntu that seems to be the most easy but is too much for me anyway.

I am changing to Windows.

zombie67
01-04-14, 04:45 PM
For linux, I recommend Mint. It is based on Debian & Ubuntu, I think. But it doesn't have that horrible Unity front end GUI that Ubuntu uses now. I use Mint for all my VMs.

http://www.linuxmint.com/

Al
01-04-14, 05:01 PM
For linux, I recommend Mint. It is based on Debian & Ubuntu, I think. But it doesn't have that horrible Unity front end GUI that Ubuntu uses now. I use Mint for all my VMs.

The one thing I like about Ubuntu is the ease of installing Boinc Manager. Does Mint offer something similar to Ubuntu's Software Center for Linux Neophytes?

zombie67
01-04-14, 05:09 PM
Yep. Synaptic package manager.

Al
01-04-14, 05:52 PM
Yep. Synaptic package manager.

Cool! I'll load it as a 2nd vm and try it out.

Bikermatt
01-04-14, 07:34 PM

2nd that, have been running mint on my linux boxes for the last year and have been really happy. Only thing I have not been able to get working is the firewall for bunkering but have not tried very hard.

Al
01-09-14, 04:05 PM
I've got a 2nd vm on one one box running Mint and it's very light on resources. One thing I noticed and I'm not sure of the problem, but most nci projects wouldn't give me any work. I ended up running wuprop and one instance of eOn2. Not really a problem, but curious none the less, since ubuntu runs the nci projects with no issue on another vm.

zombie67
01-09-14, 10:37 PM
I have no problem running wuprop on my mint VMs.

Al
01-09-14, 10:57 PM
I have no problem running wuprop on my mint VMs.

Wuprop runs fine, quake catcher projects won't download any work. It says it doesn't like my machine, yet the qcn projects run fine under ubuntu and win 7 on that same machine.

Slicker
01-11-14, 12:53 PM
The 3770, 5650, 5750, 5770, 6550, 6570, 7650, 7750, 7770 will all crunch. Only the 1900xtx won't. The HD 2400 is the oldest/slowest AMD/ATI GPU that will crunch. You project choice is limited though since they are single precision GPUs. All but the 3770 can run OpenCL apps. Collatz is about the only option for the 3770 but you will need to use an older driver since AMD has likely dropped CAL support in its recent versions. The other GPUs should be able to run Moo, Collatz, Donate (if it is still running), or other projects which do not require double precision floating point GPUs. On Collatz, expect about 20K/day from the 3770 and several hundred K/day each from the newer GPUs.

Slicker
01-11-14, 12:56 PM
Wuprop runs fine, quake catcher projects won't download any work. It says it doesn't like my machine, yet the qcn projects run fine under ubuntu and win 7 on that same machine.

Quake Catcher requires a shock sensor (built in to many laptops) or a separate USB sensor ($40-$50 purchase) in order to work. Considering they only give 50 credits per day and you can buy a PCI (not PCIx) GPU for <$50 and get 100K per day it seems like a waste of money to me -- unless you have an old Thinkpad that can do it without purchasing more hardware.

cineon_lut
01-11-14, 02:02 PM
Quake Catcher requires a shock sensor (built in to many laptops) or a separate USB sensor ($40-$50 purchase) in order to work. Considering they only give 50 credits per day and you can buy a PCI (not PCIx) GPU for <$50 and get 100K per day it seems like a waste of money to me -- unless you have an old Thinkpad that can do it without purchasing more hardware.

Hmmm. I do have an old think pad. Not sure if it has a sensor. It's on Linux now (my only non vm Linux machine) I might try this out!

Vic (mobile)

Al
01-11-14, 03:22 PM

This was for wuprop hours only, in which case, it doesn't require the sensor.

Mumps
01-11-14, 04:55 PM
I know the Thinkpads had the sensors at least back to the IBM R51 models. That's currently what I've got running it. Too bad I haven't made the time to fight to get the sensor working under Linux. Looks like there may be an old Open Source driver that's out there, just haven't made the time to fight through it.

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Active_Protection_System
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/HDAPS

With Windows, you can just install the APS Driver and QCN is happy. And, based on the Lenovo link, it looks like sensors went back to the R50's even.

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?LegacyDocID=MIGR-53150

zombie67
01-11-14, 11:18 PM

Yes, credits alone don't justify buying the external sensor. However:

1) There are 8 projects that you can run on that single sensor. And no power cost like a GPU. Still, your credit argument remains valid.

2) For MM chasers, and wuprop badge chasers, the sensor is *well* worth the money. :D