PDA

View Full Version : EVGA GTX 570 woes

cineon_lut
01-04-14, 07:11 PM
One of my GTX 570s is constantly blinking out. Losing all video, just shutting down and the computer becomes unresponsive. It was a cheap card, and the seller on Ebay did not stand behind it other than saying the usual "it tested fine" b.s.

Symptoms: when crunching, it just goes black and unresponsive. Computer can't be ping'd or remote login either.

Isolated:

I've swapped this card into other machines that run perfectly with GPUs and the same driver (just a card swap) and the same problems occur. (isolating the card as the problem)
I've taken other known-good cards and put it in this system, and they perform just as well (letting me know it's not PSU / Mobo / OS, etc.)

Some stuff the seller replied with was:

This card requires at least 32 amps on a 12volt rail. Two cards need just for themselves 650 watts. Make sure you cjange system administration settings. Os will shut down under load making you think its the card but its not. MSI software the voltage on those cards should be 832-932.

Any recommendations? Anyone seen this behavior before on their EVGAs? Sometimes the thing will crunch for a week no problem, other times it won't crunch for but a few minutes. Different apps make it crash more, thinking it might be a voltage setting. My MSI 570 and 560 were just plug-n-play, never do anything with them but up the fan RPM.

Vic

circeseye
01-04-14, 11:22 PM
sounds like u bought a worn out card. but it cant hurt trying to up the voltage to see if it will become stable. get afterburner and try it out.
also u still can put a claim on it. if u used paypal. but what he wrote was a definite being there was something wrong with the card

Al
01-05-14, 12:32 AM
I've got 3-570s and 2 are EVGA and I've never seen that problem. Something is not right with the card and you shouldn't have to bump the voltage to get it stable. Check the listing and if it was sold as working and ebay offered buyer protection on the purchase, file a complaint with them. I can tell you from personal experience that they tend to favor the buyer over the seller in cases like this.

cineon_lut
01-05-14, 02:38 AM
I've got 3-570s and 2 are EVGA and I've never seen that problem. Something is not right with the card and you shouldn't have to bump the voltage to get it stable. Check the listing and if it was sold as working and ebay offered buyer protection on the purchase, file a complaint with them. I can tell you from personal experience that they tend to favor the buyer over the seller in cases like this.

Think I waited too long. Bummer. Oh well it works most of the time and it was cheap--a learning lesson at least. @circeseye, what do you recommend for a voltage? I do have MSI Afterburner running on the machine.

Al
01-05-14, 08:27 AM
Instead of upping the volts try lowering the clocks. Memory as low as it will go and core to 600 - 650. See if it stabilizes there first.

c303a
01-05-14, 09:46 AM
You might also look at the model number. The last letters show the warranty period from EVGA. -AR at the end means a lifetime warranty if it was registered. I have found EVGA to be extremely good on the warranties of the products. They have always stood behind them and even sent me upgraded cards (465 to a 470 and 2x 570's in exchange for bad 470's). They also have a great tech support line at EVGA.com. Try it.

Al
01-05-14, 11:11 AM
You might also look at the model number. The last letters show the warranty period from EVGA. -AR at the end means a lifetime warranty if it was registered. I have found EVGA to be extremely good on the warranties of the products. They have always stood behind them and even sent me upgraded cards (465 to a 470 and 2x 570's in exchange for bad 470's). They also have a great tech support line at EVGA.com. Try it.
You should definitely try contacting EVGA. I've heard mixed reviews on their support, but you hear that about all companies. c303a had very good luck and maybe you will too.

Ya know, I was thinking about this and most sellers check to see if the card will run a display. Good ones will stress test with FurMark or something similar, but that still doesn't mean it will crunch. I've got a 5970 that will run Furmark oced all day with no artifacts, but won't crunch consistently to save its life. Just something we should all keep in mind when we're looking at used cards. Fortunately, I've had pretty good luck, sorry you got a bad one.

Fire$torm
01-12-14, 05:25 AM
Have you monitored that problem GPU with something like MSI Afterburner or EVGA Precision? If so do the VRAM or Voltage Regulator (VReg) temps keep climbing?

Or, using GPU-Z, have you noticed unstable voltage swings for VDDC (displayed under the "Sensors" Tab)?

cineon_lut
01-12-14, 05:34 AM
Since I adjusted the voltage and downclocked it a little it's been stable. :)

It's still a pos but it was cheap hehehe.

Vic (mobile)