PDA

View Full Version : new type of cpu cooler (Worth a look)

circeseye
01-12-14, 04:48 PM
http://www.tweaktown.com/news/34730/captherm-systems-unveils-mp1120-cpu-cooling-just-got-cool-again/index.html

depending on what the price will be this just might be a nice cooler

John P. Myers
01-12-14, 08:55 PM
Yeah....looks cool. I'll give them that.

They use C4 to make the chamber. Yes, the explosive C4. The reason is because certain types of metals can't be welded together. But if you add a little C4 (500 lbs. for each 1m x 1m plate which is CNC'd down to size), the explosion can make all kinds of things (aluminum, stainless steel, copper and titanium) bond. Sound like an expensive manufacturing technique? Yes, but there's more :D

That fluid that it's filled with: It looks and acts a whole lot like Novec, made by 3M. $300/liter.

One big benefit of liquid cooling is the significantly reduced height of the block mounted on the CPU, where air coolers have you strap on large heavy towers. From what i can see though, the radiator for this new cooler is attached to the CPU block, meaning you'll still have to have room for a large mounting height.

Expect this thing to cost ~$250. There are positives though. It doesn't use a pump, so it's less noisy and draws less current. The leakage rate enables it to last over 100 years, compared to around 5 years with basically all closed loop coolers like Corsair's crap (another important reason to buy Swiftech or the Cooler Master Glacer 240L, also co-designed by Swiftech :p ). No one seems to be posting any results with this cooler though. On paper it looks like it'll beat anything currently available, except phase change. (http://www.frozencpu.com/products/6233/ex-vap-15/Cooler_Express_2013_Super_Single_Evaporator_CPU_Co oling_Unit_w_Upgraded_Socket_Kit_-_All_Sockets_478_754_775_1155_1156_1366_2011_939_9 40_AM2_Xeon_CE-48-S-1C.html?tl=g49) But no one really knows. Seems like that's the first thing they should brag about.

DrPop
01-12-14, 10:28 PM
That thing looks awesome! Sign me up for one on the new 8 core Haswell-E if the temps beat regular water cooling. Wonder what kind of O/C you could hit with this thing? :D

John P. Myers
01-09-15, 07:38 PM
New news for this too! They say it'll be available in May. Cost will be $250 for the 120mm unit and $300 for a 240mm unit, though i can't see how it would be needed considering the 120mm unit can displace 275W - far more than your OC'd CPU is capable of producing.

Edit: Oh and i forgot to mention they're now saying it beats AIO water coolers by 4-6C

zombie67
01-10-15, 01:20 AM
I think my next build will use this.

Fire$torm
01-11-15, 04:44 PM
Great! Hope it lives up to the hype. Thx for being the team Guinea pig...:P