PDA

View Full Version : Another Seagate Barracuda busted today...I know, not surprising

Scratx
01-29-14, 12:36 AM
I got home to a click click click click click sound from my boinc machine today. Seems like just a few days ago I saw something about how bad Seagate drives are but I never thought it would happen to me! Luckily it's just a data drive, not a boot drive. I was wondering why I was getting a bunch of errors today on Milkyway@home.

DrPop
01-29-14, 02:07 AM
Sorry to hear that! I'm on to SSDs in the main rigs, but still have the 500GB WD HDDs in the XEON rigs. Hope they last a long time yet. Best of luck on your replacement drive(s)!

Scratx
01-29-14, 09:05 AM
I guess it's kind of a milestone. It's the first time I've killed a piece of hardware from crunching 24/7.
The boot drive is an SSD. I went out last night and found a replacement HDD for data and programs. It looks like everything is back up to full speed this morning. :) Well BOINC is anyway. It looks like I'll have to re-install some applications and games (possibly lost all my progress in Skyrim :( ).

Fire$torm
01-30-14, 02:23 AM
Yeah, for mechanical drives, I prefer WD Caviar Black (2.5" for better air flow when the price is right). I've also had good luck with Hitatchi 3.5" drives.

c303a
01-30-14, 11:38 AM
I run WD Caviar Blacks in all of my boxes. I have never had a problem I just got a 250 GB out of my sons computer that he has been running for over 5 years and it is still good.

Al
01-30-14, 01:09 PM
I run WD Caviar Blacks in all of my boxes. I have never had a problem I just got a 250 GB out of my sons computer that he has been running for over 5 years and it is still good.

Mine died at 6 years of 24/7, but you can't really complain about that...the replacement was a Black Caviar.

c303a
01-30-14, 01:53 PM
Mine died at 6 years of 24/7, but you can't really complain about that...the replacement was a Black Caviar.

I have started putting in the WD Blues in some of the computers I have built for other people only because they want to save a couple of bucks and they won't be running 24/7. They have a 3 year warranty so we will see how they last. So far so good.

Scratx
01-30-14, 04:05 PM
I ended up going to Best Buy, not my first choice but it was fast and convenient if not the cheapest, and picked up a WD Performance series. They didn't have a lot of choices. Is that a new name for the Caviar Black series or something else?

I think I just found the answer to my own question. It looks like 'Desktop Performance' is their retail boxed version of the 'Black'.

John P. Myers
01-30-14, 04:52 PM
Hmmm...dual core processor, StableTrac, 5 year warranty...yep looks like a Black to me. I'm afraid to ask what they charged you for it :p

Slicker
01-30-14, 11:49 PM
I ended up going to Best Buy, not my first choice but it was fast and convenient if not the cheapest, and picked up a WD Performance series. They didn't have a lot of choices. Is that a new name for the Caviar Black series or something else?

I think I just found the answer to my own question. It looks like 'Desktop Performance' is their retail boxed version of the 'Black'.
The dead giveaway for the black is the 5 year warranty. The blue's have 3 year. WD also makes reds which are aimed at NAS also have 3 year warranties. There is also a RE3 version aimed at servers but they will cost 2x what the black costs and the MTBF numbers are about the same if I recall. Green is for Grandparents who only use their computers one a month to look at new pictures of the grand kids. ;-) I think they have they shorted warranty but I couldn't tell you what it is offhand.

Scratx
02-03-14, 08:04 PM
I'm afraid to ask what they charged you for it :p

I'm too embarrassed too say. The price of convenience I suppose. They also had boxed versions of the 'green' and 'blue' but I didn't want to go there.