PDA

View Full Version : GPU grid: Half my tasks are failing

shralper
01-31-14, 08:13 PM
Hello everyone!

Been a while since I've been around here, but I am still crunching!

Anyways, I am having trouble with gpu grid tasks failing, I recently started running this project again, after having stopped for this same reason.

here is a report from one such task:

Outcome Computation error
Client state Compute error
Exit status -97 (0xffffffffffffff9f) Unknown error number

Needless to say it is frustrating to spend 4-10 hours on a single task only to have it fail at 50% of the time. I really like what this project is about but if it continues... Ill devote my gpu's elsewhere.

My drivers are all up to date, running a gtx 560 and 570.

Any thoughts or similar experiences?

Thanks!

DrBackJack
01-31-14, 08:46 PM
Yeah, on older machines or older video cards, playing games at the same time can cause the errors.
Also screensavers can cause that so turn those off when running your gpu boinc stuff.

shralper
01-31-14, 08:51 PM
Yeah, on older machines or older video cards, playing games at the same time can cause the errors.
Also screensavers can cause that so turn those off when running your gpu boinc stuff.

Just turned my screen saver off, I don't play games on this computer so hopefully that fixes it.

DrBackJack
01-31-14, 09:06 PM
Another thing it can be is how you use the CPU.
One thread needs to be open so the CPU and feed the GPU.
This is how DrPop told me how to do it and it works.
On boinc, go to tools, computing preferences, processor usage tab.....
Where it says "On multiprocessor systems, use at most", change that number from 100% to 90%.
That shuts off one cpu thread so it will be used to feed info to the GPU.

You can switch it back to 100% when not running GPU tasks.

Good to se you on here shralper.
I hope your able to jump in on the skynet(pogs) challenge with us on the 15th too.
http://boincstats.com/en/stats/challenge/team/chat/470

Bryan
01-31-14, 09:44 PM
GPUGrid also does not like highly overclocked GPUs :D

Al
01-31-14, 09:49 PM
GPUGrid also does not like highly overclocked GPUs :D

Exactly, I run my 570's at about 10% oc only and have not had any fail.

somanyroads
01-31-14, 10:04 PM
FWIW http://www.gpugrid.net/forum_thread.php?id=3299 as well as the links within . . .

shralper
02-02-14, 11:19 PM
It seems like ever since I turned the screen save off my tasks are completing 100% of the time! My gpu's aren't overclocked, I have them running at manufacture settings.

And @ DrBackJack I will happily join in on the challenge! I am glad to be back on the forums and look forward to contributing to the team goals!

zombie67
02-03-14, 09:12 AM
Screen savers should *never* be used with BOINC. That includes the BOINC screensaver itself. If for no other reason, they take away CPU cycles from the actual point of BOINC: the crunching.

Also, as you found out, they sometimes cause errors with BOINC.

If you want to "save" your monitor, set it to turn off after x minutes of inactivity.

All IMO, of course.

shiva
02-03-14, 11:20 AM
Screen savers should *never* be used with BOINC. That includes the BOINC screensaver itself. If for no other reason, they take away CPU cycles from the actual point of BOINC: the crunching.

Also, as you found out, they sometimes cause errors with BOINC.

If you want to "save" your monitor, set it to turn off after x minutes of inactivity.

All IMO, of course.
and that is the option of many others as well. :)

John P. Myers
02-03-14, 03:56 PM
That's my opinion too :p No screensavers ever. On my crunching-only rig, the monitor stays turned off unless i need to make a change to something, which might be once ever few days. Saves $ on the electric bill that way too. Also things like sleep, hibernate, etc. are all set to "never". Allowing your computer to sleep/hibernate can also cause WUs to crash when woken up.

Duke of Buckingham
02-03-14, 04:47 PM
That's my opinion too :p No screensavers ever. On my crunching-only rig, the monitor stays turned off unless i need to make a change to something, which might be once ever few days. Saves $ on the electric bill that way too. Also things like sleep, hibernate, etc. are all set to "never". Allowing your computer to sleep/hibernate can also cause WUs to crash when woken up.

Sometimes I crash when I wake up also.
http://www.joshuapramis.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/wake_up_call-b9d5fcf0af27e5611e92285c9034f311.jpeg