PDA

View Full Version : Quake-Catcher Network: QCN/BOINC app for Android Devices Now Available

RSS
02-01-14, 03:23 PM
QCN now runs on Android devices (phones, tablets, etc) via BOINC for Android, which is available on the Google Play store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=edu.berkeley.boinc It is recommended to run using the default settings - ie QCN will run on your Android device when it's charging ("at rest" so it won't trigger every few seconds) and on a wifi network. The network and CPU requirements are very small, typically 1-5% CPU, and a few kilobytes per day. Just download BOINC for Android from the Google Play store link above, and attach to "qcn.stanford.edu/sensor" Note that this app is not graphical - we are looking to make a QCNLive-style Android add-on for displaying the QCN/BOINC app/accelerometer information.

More... (http://qcn.stanford.edu/sensor/forum_thread.php?id=1040)

zombie67
02-01-14, 04:13 PM
Sweeeeet.

This is a great opportunity for you android users to get more projects for the wuprop badge stars, or MMs or just plain free credits.

Bryan
02-01-14, 05:24 PM
Or to help keep us in 2nd place in FB :D

Al
02-01-14, 05:58 PM
I get nothing but compute errors after 3 - 10 seconds.

zombie67
02-01-14, 09:47 PM
Working fine on my GS3.

Bryan
02-01-14, 11:03 PM
I get nothing but compute errors after 3 - 10 seconds.

Same with my HTC ... all WU fail after 2-3 seconds :(

zombie67
02-01-14, 11:26 PM
FWIW, I don't use the stock BOINC client. I use NativeBOINC. Way more features. For example, I can set up so that BOINCtasks can connect to it like any other BOINC device.

Maybe the stock BOINC client is the problem?

Al
02-02-14, 11:09 AM
Same thing on NativeBoinc. Hmmm,that's strange, every other project I've tried works fine.

John P. Myers
02-02-14, 12:08 PM
Working fine on my GS4, using standard BOINC manager, not NativeBoinc.

zombie67
02-02-14, 12:35 PM
Working on my moto x too.

Bryan
02-02-14, 02:41 PM
Grrrr ... didn't want to run the dang thing anyway :(

zombie67
02-04-14, 08:20 PM
The admin is aware of the problem that some are having, and are investigating.

http://qcn.stanford.edu/sensor/forum_thread.php?id=1041

cineon_lut
02-23-14, 06:03 AM
The android thing will never happen for me, but I tried QCN for a while on my Mac laptop under a Windows VM. Never got an error, seemed to work, but never actually completed a work unit. I might try to resurrect an old thinkpad I have laying around. I'm bummed because I really want to run it.

zombie67
02-23-14, 07:39 AM
The android thing will never happen for me, but I tried QCN for a while on my Mac laptop under a Windows VM. Never got an error, seemed to work, but never actually completed a work unit. I might try to resurrect an old thinkpad I have laying around. I'm bummed because I really want to run it.

Why in a VM? The ap is OSX native, and you don't have to try to get the VM to talk to the sensor.

cineon_lut
02-23-14, 02:56 PM
Why in a VM? The ap is OSX native, and you don't have to try to get the VM to talk to the sensor.

I gotta switch. Thought the vm would be good in case I wanted to add other CPU projects on my mbp, but I'll stick with osx boinc !

Vic (mobile)

zombie67
02-23-14, 10:22 PM
You can run BOINC on both at the same time, native and VM.

cineon_lut
02-23-14, 10:52 PM
I would love to, but the VM just never completed a wu. Never bothered to investigate further. Do you run parallels?

Vic (mobile)

zombie67
02-23-14, 11:06 PM
No, I meant that you don't need to switch. It's not one or the other. You can run BOINC native for the QiCN stuff, and also run BOINC in VM for Linux stuff.