PDA

View Full Version : BOINC Stats and Calculations...

STMahlberg
01-26-11, 09:34 AM
I was interested in some of the stats that are on BOINC; one of them is RAC, I just got done reading some information about it on the Unofficial BOINC Wiki and was wondering if this indicator has any practical application.

I know that they say to view it as if it were a speedometer; however, I see this as an inaccurate analogy since a speedometer represents your speed at any given moment in time and RAC does not. To me, RAC is more like the moving average of the stock market; so practically speaking, unless this number is plotted in a chart, it seems rather useless.

I also noticed that Bok has created the FDC RAC. How is this calculated? Noticing the difference in RAC to FDC RAC, I assume that the decay time part of the equation is removed.

I just thought that I would start paying a little more attention to the stats and with team movement.

Maxwell
01-26-11, 09:39 AM
I also noticed that Bok has created the FDC RAC. How is this calculated? Noticing the difference in RAC to FDC RAC, I assume that the decay time part of the equation is removed.
They both give you part of the picture. RAC has the decay function in there, weighting new credits more. Free-DC is simply a 28-day average (IIRC).

Bok
01-26-11, 09:39 AM
I've never been a huge proponent of the BOINC RAC personally. I just don't think there is a need for it's complexity, with the decaying value. Plus, given it comes from the xml data from each project, if that stops being updated, RAC remains static (though I could apply the same formula to it client-side I try to keep the data as close as possible to the xml itself)

My RAC is a much more basic 28day average \shrug

Bok :|

STMahlberg
01-26-11, 09:48 AM
Thank you for the information. :)

STMahlberg
01-27-11, 06:14 AM
There was a most within the last month I believe showing a link to teams shifting resources from one project to another. Unfortunately, I don't remember who posted it nor has any search that I have done returned what I am looking for. :confused:

Does anyone know the post that I am referring to and the link to the thing?

Maxwell
01-27-11, 08:09 AM
Are you referring to this one (http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=teamrampup&team=SETI.USA)?

Bok
01-27-11, 08:58 AM
Are you referring to this one (http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=teamrampup&team=SETI.USA)?

That one looks old, though it's far from finished I did make some improvements to it. Let me copy over the newer one to the live stats.. Done.

STMahlberg
01-27-11, 01:25 PM
That's what I'm looking for, thank you guys.