PDA

View Full Version : World Community Grid: Breakthrough in the fight against childhood cancer

RSS
02-20-14, 04:03 PM
The research team behind the Help Fight Childhood Cancer project has just published a groundbreaking paper. It reveals seven promising drug candidates - identified with the help of World Community Grid members – for neuroblastoma, one of the most common and dangerous forms of childhood cancer.

More... (http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/about_us/viewNewsArticle.do?articleId=342)

zombie67
03-12-14, 12:16 AM
Surprised that this didn't get any replies. This is a medical project that has accomplished real results via BOINC. The usual criticism against BOINC is that nothing meaningful to humanity is ever accomplished using it. "It's used to search for ET." Oh sure, we find some fun math stuff like prime numbers, but so what? And sure, there are plenty of wasted effort, but that is how research works. Well now, haters can suck it! :D

denim
03-12-14, 10:37 AM
This is one of the reasons why I stay with WCG despite the credit return. :)

FourOh
03-12-14, 11:07 AM
WCG was the reason I got back into distributed computing in 2007 after a few years off. I send these updates to my wife so she understands what we're doing this for!