PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia Is About To Steal The Cryptocurrency Mining Crown From AMD

circeseye
02-21-14, 01:40 PM
http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2014/02/20/nvidia-is-about-to-steal-the-cryptocurrency-mining-crown-from-amd/

will this mean better bionic performance??

conf
02-21-14, 02:31 PM
750ti 640 shader units DP: 41GFLOPS
Ati 7970 2048 shader units DP: 1024GFLOPS
Maybe the maxwell is more efficient per shader unit, but for DP you need 24 of them to catch the 7970Ghz , good luck.
And single precision is for gamers not crunchers.

Fire$torm
02-21-14, 03:22 PM
Errrrr....

If I recall correctly, not that many projects require DP for their GPU apps. Yes?

conf
02-21-14, 03:35 PM
Distrgen and MilkyWay are absolutely in favor of ati gpus, Collatz Im not so sure, seems to be equal
Prime Grid is for Nvidia , what else ? GpuGrid Nvidia only but not important for Rac.
I see it under the aspect of big numbers and for that you need an Ati at this time.

AND I dont talk about the Titan, too expensive to mention and also a DP monster.

John P. Myers
02-21-14, 05:56 PM
Actually most gpu projects use single precision as F$ said. Only a few use dp.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk Pro

cineon_lut
02-28-14, 02:00 AM
I am really curious about these little 750ti cards. Power from the PCIe slot, low consumption, seems great for a 2nd or a 3rd card. Price point seems reasonable. Anyone ordered one yet? I'm told by a mining buddy of mine that these hash about a 3rd what a 7970 does, but take about 1/8 the power. Good performance to power ratio. I haven't substantiated that yet, just wondering if anyone here has experience.

FourOh
02-28-14, 03:37 PM
I am really curious about these little 750ti cards. Power from the PCIe slot, low consumption, seems great for a 2nd or a 3rd card. Price point seems reasonable. Anyone ordered one yet? I'm told by a mining buddy of mine that these hash about a 3rd what a 7970 does, but take about 1/8 the power. Good performance to power ratio. I haven't substantiated that yet, just wondering if anyone here has experience.

I'm very curious about the 750ti as well - appears to have very strong single-precision performance per watt. This article had some interesting test results using Folding@home benchmarks: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-750-ti-review,3750-16.html

I wonder if this would play well as 2nd card to a GTX 580?