PDA

View Full Version : AMD 14.1 Beta driver

EmSti
02-22-14, 05:42 PM
AMD 14.1 Beta

Going to upgrade to new drivers tomorrow, so I thought I would start discussion on them (I failed at finding an existing thread, sorry if I missed it). Any experience with new AMD drivers?

I found the below info about the beta interesting. I considering doing one machine 14.1 beta and update the other 13.12 (both currently 13.9).

Mantle Beta driver

◾AMD's Mantle is a groundbreaking graphics application programming interface ("API") that promises to transform the world of game development to help bring better, faster games to the PC

◾Mantle enables up to 45% faster performance than DirectX® 11 Battlefield 4™*

◾Performance gain of up to 200% (versus the DirectX version) for Star Swarm on the R9 290 Series

◾AMD Catalyst™​ 14.1 Beta driver must be used in conjunction with versions of these applications that support AMD's Mantle technology
◾It is expected that these applications may have future updates to support additional AMD's Mantle features
◾AMD Mantle Beta driver is currently supported on:
◾AMD Radeon™ R9 Series GPUs
◾AMD Radeon™ R7 Series GPUs
◾AMD Radeon™ HD 7000 Series GPUs
◾AMD Radeon™ HD 8000 Series GPUs
◾AMD A10-7000 Series and AMD A8-7000 Series APUs

EmSti
02-23-14, 03:14 PM
Beta driver is working great, no issues. My Dirt wus times have dropped about 12 to 14 seconds (29:16 to 29:02 with no cpu tasks).

FourOh
02-23-14, 03:25 PM
Beta driver is working great, no issues. My Dirt wus times have dropped about 12 to 14 seconds (29:16 to 29:02 with no cpu tasks).

I've had trouble going past 12.6 with my 5850s and 13.4 with my 7790. I'd love to squeeze some more performance from them; not sure if they'll play along.

EmSti
02-24-14, 01:02 AM
At the moment I would advise caution on using this Beta driver. My DiRT inconclusive is up and spot checking work units, some of the wingman have pretty solid valid to invalid numbers. I fear the new diver is a problem. I don't see any valids since the new driver install. I am going to pull it off.

Shandia
02-24-14, 02:31 AM
I have my own issues with anything above 13.1. I've lost the ability to run some apps and xbox games anytime I've upgraded. (Troubleshooting the problem while using anything above 13.1 tells me I need to update my video drivers....go figure. I've just finally found the answer and will be upgrading back to 13.12 to test the solution.) Now, when I was running 13.9 and 13.12, I did notice a significant improvement in the apps and games that would work. I never had Boinc running while I was running the 13.9 or 13.12. Keep us up to date with what you find with the beta drivers. :-bd

EmSti
02-24-14, 10:50 AM
Not looking good for that beta driver's results. I see no valids in my DiRT wus during the time I had it installed. It could also be that my speed settings and that driver don't get along on DiRT, but I don't feel like testing that anytime soon.