PDA

View Full Version : Getting a 2'nd Copy of BOINC to run right ?

STE\/E
02-26-14, 06:04 AM
Anybody have any Idea how to get a second copy of BOINC to run right, I'm not talking about running 2 Copies at once by renaming the 1'st copy then starting a 2'nd copy up. It starts for me but I haven't been able to get it to connect with the Projects to get any work. It may just be the same problem I have anymore when I install BOINC new after a OS Re-Install, I have to play & play around with it to finally get it to run right. Been that way ever since I rebuilt my Pharm late 2012 & early 2013, I usually have to copy files from an old install on from another Box to get it to work but that's not working for me trying to get a second copy to run.

Duke of Buckingham
02-26-14, 06:25 AM
I dont know much but all you are saying leads to one conclusion the first Boinc was not complete for one or other reason, with a second Boinc came what was missing and as the name of the programs is the same, the first Boinc uses them.

Something like that happened on my beginning long ago and seeing the Boinc files I discovered that the new boinc had more files than the first and that didnt make any sense to me since I stop running all projects by deataching them.

Why dont you clean your computer and start a fresh download?

Mumps
02-26-14, 01:54 PM
Random thought. Most likely has to do with the RPC port. 31416 is the standard port, might the second instance need a different port assigned? I know that was an option in the config file in past versions. But I haven't played with that for years.

STE\/E
02-26-14, 03:58 PM
Random thought. Most likely has to do with the RPC port. 31416 is the standard port, might the second instance need a different port assigned? I know that was an option in the config file in past versions. But I haven't played with that for years.

I don't know M, the Client contacts the Projects & Downloads the Master Files for the Project but then won't go any further ... ?

Anywoot I got it figured out, or at least I think I do anyway, lost about 200 Bunkered Wu's but should have lost more probably as much as I played around with it trying to figure it out.

I did another copy of both the Data & Program Files from another Computer, then shut down the Client, I Renamed the Original Client & placed the copied files in folders renamed the same as the original folders. Then started up the Client & it worked, I attached to Pog's & got new work ...

The Problem with that is though the Wu's in the Original Client Folder got Trashed by the Project as Abandoned Wu's, even when I reversed the Process & restarted the Original Client the Wu's were gone & Project still said the Wu's were still Abandoned. I sat there for a bit wondering how this could be overcome, I knew it could because I used to do this years ago on the SIMAP Challenges.

Then it came to me , I/you have to Re-name the Computer to something else to use the Second Client Directory & Rename the Computer back to what it was when I/you go back to use the 1'st Client Directory. I tried that & it worked, the Project showed the Wu's in the 1'st BOINC Directory as still there when I fired up the 2'nd BOINC Directory & when I went back to the 1'st BOINC Directory they still where there ...

Needed to try & figure this out as I'll run out of work tomorrow on some Box's for Pog's & then they would have to sit Idle or I'd have to report the Wu's & get more ...

NOTE: When I/you renamed/rename the Computer in the Advanced Properties I/you have to Reboot the Computer each time for the Name changes to take effect, don't know if there's another Place you could Rename the Computer & have it take effect without Rebooting or not ... ???

STE\/E
02-27-14, 06:09 AM
Well I tried to get this to work on 2 other Box's that are about to run out of Pog's work & it wouldn't work for what ever reason. Same thing, the Client will Attach to the Projects but won't Initialize them, it puts the call in to Initialize them after it Attaches them but the call never finishes ... It's the same problem I've had every time I install BOINC ever since I completely rebuilt my Box's & I just don't know what causes it ... I always worry some day my Box's will start to go down because this that I can't get BOINC to run right & I'll be thru with BOINC then ... :/

All my Box's will be out of Pog's work today, so I have to either wait until the Challenge starts to dump the work done & get new work or I have to dump the work I've done already & get new work now, either way I've probably wasted several day's of Bunkering ... :/

STE\/E
02-27-14, 08:47 AM
I made the decision to dump most of my Bunkers & load up on more Wu's rather than have the Box's sit idle for more than a day, my fault for starting to bunker to early I guess, if you get to many short Wu's you run out to quick. I don't know how to Suspend the Project thru my Router or Modem, all I can do is use BoincTask to Suspend Network activity. I set all Box's to 128 Cores & most have loaded up again, I'll just leave them on 128 Cores until the Challenge is almost over. I'll still have about 1.5 days to build up a decent Bunker but nothing like it would have been if I didn't have to dump them now & start over on most Box's ... :(

EmSti
02-27-14, 12:07 PM
I will start a new thread in the Challenges area. If the instructions work, we can make it a sticky thread there.

Bryan
02-27-14, 12:21 PM
You can also use that technique to move WU from one machine to another. For example, if you have a slow machine that still has bunches of WU and a fast machine that is dry you can rename the fast machine and copy the FULL BOINC directories (both data/programs direcotries) from the slow machine over and then crunch them with the fast machine. I haven't done that for years, but it does work.

Sarge104
02-27-14, 12:57 PM
I made the decision to dump most of my Bunkers & load up on more Wu's rather than have the Box's sit idle for more than a day,

LOL, was wondering why my pending went from over 400 to a little over 200, doing an experiment just running WU's and letting others bunker for me. *NOTE TO SELF* Always blame STE\/E...;D

Mumps
02-27-14, 02:48 PM
Yeah. Steve gave me a bump of about 200K for the mornings reporting today. :) Would have been nice if that could have been held until the challenge, but C'est la Vie.

I really should have hunted down those instructions posted elsewhere on how you can limit the number of completed WU's uploaded at a time. Because with that Ste\/e could have limited it to only uploading like 1 WU for each block of 16 new ones he downloaded. It's around on the forums somewhere. It's a cc_config.xml setting is all I remember ATM.

STE\/E
02-27-14, 03:05 PM
Yeah. Steve gave me a bump of about 200K for the mornings reporting today. :) Would have been nice if that could have been held until the challenge, but C'est la Vie.

I really should have hunted down those instructions posted elsewhere on how you can limit the number of completed WU's uploaded at a time. Because with that Ste\/e could have limited it to only uploading like 1 WU for each block of 16 new ones he downloaded. It's around on the forums somewhere. It's a cc_config.xml setting is all I remember ATM.

Sorry Guy's, I just couldn't see the Box's sitting there Idle for that long before the Challenged started & it was the only way for me to get more work. Yeah I would have loved to have that, the loss would have been minimal then, as it was the Project keep saying to many Wu's Uploading for it to give me any, weird. Don't l know how many I Uploaded & reported but it Bumped my Credit up 1.3 Million, like you said would have been nice to have had that at Challenges start, probably 6-7k worth of Wu's if not more, already have 1000 Bunkered again in the last 5 Hr's, at that rate I should have 6k-7k Bunkered again by Challenges start ... One good thing it looks like I did get another 7500 Hr Bump for Pog's at WuProp so at least I didn't lose all the Hr's if any, don't really know ...

Sarge104
02-27-14, 05:38 PM

Not entirely sure I understand it but would this (http://www.setiusa.us/showthread.php?5893-POGS-CHALLENGE-SUSA-GOING-TO-BATTLE-NOV-15&p=67818&viewfull=1#post67818) be the post you are referring to?

Sarge104
02-27-14, 05:46 PM
If the above post is true then wouldn't you have to go into the options for Boinc itself to turn off any report immediately options?

Very ill and tired at work so I don't have a client to mess with to find out where I'm coming up with the "report immediately" but I thought it was an option for the app_config file.

STE\/E
02-27-14, 05:55 PM
No it's in the Options section of the cc_config.xml file in the BOINC Directory ...

Mumps
02-27-14, 08:32 PM
Yes. That's exactly what I had in mind. Something that should be added to some FAQ somewhere. :))