PDA

View Full Version : A mans Toy

c303a
02-27-14, 11:39 AM
This takes "model airplanes" to a new level!

http://www.flixxy.com/huge-remote-controlled-airbus-a380.htm?utm_source=nl

Fire$torm
02-27-14, 10:16 PM
This takes "model airplanes" to a new level!

http://www.flixxy.com/huge-remote-controlled-airbus-a380.htm?utm_source=nl

Dude! I used to be in the hobby. Even worked in the largest hobby shop in the city, back in the day. Large scale has been around a long time. Real turbine engines included. Back in the mid 80's the now extinct Byron originals offered 1/4 scale kits of planes like the North American P-51D Mustang, Mitsubishi A6M Zero and the Chance Vought F4U Corsair among others. They were absolute beauties...!!!!

anyhoot, do a search on YouTube. you'll find all kinds of stuff like 1/4 scale C130s, SR-71s, C-5 Galaxys, B-52s, etc...

shralper
02-28-14, 10:28 AM
That thing is bad a$$. His landing was pretty epic as well.

c303a
02-28-14, 11:39 AM
Dude! I used to be in the hobby. Even worked in the largest hobby shop in the city, back in the day. Large scale has been around a long time. Real turbine engines included. Back in the mid 80's the now extinct Byron originals offered 1/4 scale kits of planes like the North American P-51D Mustang, Mitsubishi A6M Zero and the Chance Vought F4U Corsair among others. They were absolute beauties...!!!!

anyhoot, do a search on YouTube. you'll find all kinds of stuff like 1/4 scale C130s, SR-71s, C-5 Galaxys, B-52s, etc...

I was in the hobby as well but I never built anything that big or with the jet engines. Biggest I built was a B-25 that had all the options on it. Bomb Bay, Bombs, Gear, flaps, throttle etc. I just got too close to the ground on a high speed, low pass 1 day. I had a lot of balsa firewood after that.

Fire$torm
03-01-14, 02:04 AM
I was in the hobby as well but I never built anything that big or with the jet engines. Biggest I built was a B-25 that had all the options on it. Bomb Bay, Bombs, Gear, flaps, throttle etc. I just got too close to the ground on a high speed, low pass 1 day. I had a lot of balsa firewood after that.

OUCH! Yeah I feel ya. I hate the sound of splintering plywood sheeting and balsa formers. And then there is always that one servo you can never find in the debris.

c303a
03-01-14, 10:58 AM
I taught all my kids how to fly the old U-Controls. Even the girls loved to help build them and then go out and spend the day burning up the Nitro. How about the old Nobler with an Enya .60? O the old flying wings with the Fox Combat .35. The old Enya is still sitting in the work shop along with a German .45 and a couple of Fox .35s.

Fire$torm
03-01-14, 03:41 PM
I taught all my kids how to fly the old U-Controls. Even the girls loved to help build them and then go out and spend the day burning up the Nitro. How about the old Nobler with an Enya .60? O the old flying wings with the Fox Combat .35. The old Enya is still sitting in the work shop along with a German .45 and a couple of Fox .35s.

:-o @-) =P~ =P~ ^:)^ >:D<

Honestly I never got past the SIG Kadet Mk. II (http://www.sigmfg.com/IndexText/SIGRC49.html) stage. Had a Webra T4-40 (rotary valve) 4-cycle engine (http://antiquemodelenginesrunning.blogspot.com/2011/05/webra-t4-40.html) and JR Propo PCM Century 7 radio (http://www.popscreen.com/p/MTQ1NDIwNDEx/-PROPO-CENTURY-7-VII-RADIO-CONTROL-SYSTEM-RC-7-CHANNEL-N7C4SM-eBay) installed.

Edit: Hot Damn!!!! Just found a T4-40 on eBay New In Box!!!! (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-New-In-Box-Webra-T4-40-6-5ccm-4-Stroke-R-C-Model-Airplane-Engine-/151239705038?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item233696c1ce) Seriously, if I had the cash I'd bid whatever was needed to win that puppy. Oh well....

shiva
03-01-14, 09:43 PM
I remember the u-controls, the nobler, 2 of them hanging in the back room, fox 35 got them, 09's .045's and a electric rc. loved flying combat with the flying wings or a buster.

c303a
03-02-14, 11:04 AM
I remember the u-controls, the nobler, 2 of them hanging in the back room, fox 35 got them, 09's .045's and a electric rc. loved flying combat with the flying wings or a buster.

Those where the days. Smallest I used was a Fox .35 and I did have a Nobler with that engine but I also modified one with the Enya .60 mainly because I used the 3rd line with a throttle control on it. Loved the combat with the wings. We used to fly in a large park until the county said no more. Went to a sod farm for a while with the RC models but then I got my pilots license and lost interest in the small ones.

Fire$torm
03-02-14, 02:05 PM
I sorta envy you guys. Flying U-Control always made me dizzy, even on the small Cox .049 stuff. Merry-go-round had the same effect....

c303a
03-02-14, 04:00 PM
I sorta envy you guys. Flying U-Control always made me dizzy, even on the small Cox .049 stuff. Merry-go-round had the same effect....
Did you ever try the bigger engines. Remember the bigger ones used 60 or even 70 foot cable lines so you weren't turning so fast.

Fire$torm
03-02-14, 04:07 PM
Did you ever try the bigger engines. Remember the bigger ones used 60 or even 70 foot cable lines so you weren't turning so fast.

Nope never did. Such things were a luxury growing up. By the time I had my first good part-time job I was way into model rocketry, R/C planes and home audio.

shiva
03-02-14, 07:13 PM
I sorta envy you guys. Flying U-Control always made me dizzy, even on the small Cox .049 stuff. Merry-go-round had the same effect....well you weren't suppose to go around in circles all the time. figure 8's would let you stand in one spot, you could do them all day if you wanted to. even loops would let you take a break from circles. :)or invert and go in the other direction.

c303a
03-03-14, 09:35 AM
well you weren't suppose to go around in circles all the time. figure 8's would let you stand in one spot, you could do them all day if you wanted to. even loops would let you take a break from circles. :)or invert and go in the other direction.

Lots of possibilities. Use a flying wing and just do half of the circle and do a loop and go back the other way. Just don't put a 6 oz fuel tank on a .35.

shiva
03-03-14, 11:11 AM
Lots of possibilities. Use a flying wing and just do half of the circle and do a loop and go back the other way. Just don't put a 6 oz fuel tank on a .35.:) :) :)) yea was great fun

Fire$torm
03-03-14, 12:44 PM
Well first you have to get proficient at flying U-Control.... But since I always got dizzy, I never made it past noob stage. Hence my reason for gravitating to model rockets (yes, pun intended). First kit was the Estes Scout. Lost on first launch. After the Scout came (Not in order of build); from Centuri: Groove Tube, Excalibur, Astro-1 and a few others. From the Estes catalog Gyro, Mosquito, Big Bertha, Nimroc, SR-71, Mercury Redstone, Patriot, Red Max, etc...

If you check out Estes catalogs for years 1974~1993 (http://www.estesrockets.com/customer-service/full-catalog/) I've had at least one rocket from every page during that time span. I've also built a handful of models of my own design.

Damn, now you guys have me thinking of building again......

c303a
03-03-14, 12:47 PM
If I started spending money on builds now, my wife would use the exacto knife on me.

Fire$torm
03-03-14, 01:05 PM
If I started spending money on builds now, my wife would use the exacto knife on me.

But it would get you away from your monitor and out of the house..... Use that as a selling point.

shiva
03-03-14, 01:39 PM
Back in the 80's my brother and I bought out a little hobbies store in a little town in south west Kansas. I still have a ME109 Messerschmidt, Nobler, and a Buster new in the box. My brother has 3 or 4 more kits. I think he still has some motors new in the box from then. He stayed in flying and building after I stopped. He has about 30 RC planes now.

c303a
03-03-14, 01:50 PM
Stop it. I just can't take up that hobby again. Crunching......building model planes so the grandkids can crash them.....crunching or planes.....electric bill or several hundred dollars for model planes....extremely mad wife or just a plain mad wife....no contest. I'll keep crunching.
Due to a problem with my legs I would have to build RC planes and that would be a big $ project since I only have a couple of RC engines (small 2 cycle ones) and no RC equipment.

Fire$torm
03-03-14, 07:45 PM
Radio? I still have my Century 7 PCM unit with 5 standard servos. I can swap in new NiCad packs for the transmitter and receiver and charge it up for ya. I might still have my Carl Goldberg fieldbox in the attic. I know I'd have to rewire my Sullivan stater but that wouldn't take but a moment.....

So how about it.....????

shiva
03-03-14, 11:31 PM
I'm sure we could fix you up with everything you need for say a mere 2k or so. that wouldn't up set your wife too much would it. :)

Shandia
03-04-14, 04:24 AM
Hey! It's not just a mans toy! I played with that stuff too! ;) This is the only thing I have left from that era in my life. This pic might bring back memories for some of you. This engine has never been mounted or run. (O.S. Max 40SF) I tore up my KB 20 in a crash and lost my O.S. Max 25F due to theft. ;) It was something I did with my dad.....the 40SF was actually his engine. He never had time to build his own plane and always just flew mine.1675

c303a
03-04-14, 11:15 AM
Unfortunately I would have no place to fly around here and my wife's car is just a Dodge Caliber so I don't think she would want to load everything in and go spend the time out in the boonies somewhere.

Fire$torm
03-04-14, 11:37 AM
Hey! It's not just a mans toy! I played with that stuff too! ;) This is the only thing I have left from that era in my life. This pic might bring back memories for some of you. This engine has never been mounted or run. (O.S. Max 40SF) I tore up my KB 20 in a crash and lost my O.S. Max 25F due to theft. ;) It was something I did with my dad.....the 40SF was actually his engine. He never had time to build his own plane and always just flew mine.

Oh Sweeeeet!!!!

Yeah, that engine brings back a ton of memories. In the R/C section of the Hobby Shop where I worked, there was a 6' H x 4' W display case directly across from the sales counter. We had a lot of O.S. stuff in it including the FS-90 Surpass and FS-120 Surpass 4-cycles. Never got tired of looking at that case...

Oh and btw, the FS-120 was the Gold Plated Limited edition model IIRC.