PDA

View Full Version : Pics from the 1940's

shiva
03-11-14, 06:53 PM
some really interesting pics from the 40's. The last one is a pic of the carbon black worker, I did that same kind of work back in the 70's.
http://extras.denverpost.com/archive/captured.asp

FourOh
03-11-14, 08:10 PM
Stunning images. Thanks for the post-

Z-TAC
03-11-14, 08:41 PM
some really interesting pics from the 40's. The last one is a pic of the carbon black worker, I did that same kind of work back in the 70's.
http://extras.denverpost.com/archive/captured.asp

Really excellent. The picture of the tractor plowing with the mules planting corn behind reminds me of mid 20th century rural Appalachia.

DrPop
03-11-14, 08:53 PM
A few things strike me when looking at this collection:
People obviously did a lot more work then, compared to now. Not an overweight one among them!
Unfortunately, basic "desires" of people in a city haven't changed. Look at Slide 26: DRUGS, Cafe, and BEER.

myshortpencil
03-11-14, 09:02 PM
This is what life looked like without government regulation. People made do with what they had. Nothing went to waste. They worked hard and had fun -- and sometimes died young.

Duke of Buckingham
03-11-14, 09:05 PM
Very nice and coloured America, thanks for posting shiva.

zombie67
03-11-14, 09:14 PM
WWII provided the US government with a huge amount of data that was never available before. When WWII came along, we drafted ~10m people, and they all got physicals. It turns out that a huge portion of the draftees were considered malnourished. After the war, that eventually led to a lot of the food assistance programs that have been created since then. Of course, once a bureaucracy is created, it can never be killed. Now we're paying to feed the fat.

STE\/E
03-12-14, 01:40 AM
I wonder how some of today's kid's would have fared back then without their Smart Phones, I pod's, Laptops, oh the horror of it to even have to watch TV without any Reality Shows on ... lol

A little before my time, I was born in 44 but thanks for the Pictures shiva ...

shiva
03-12-14, 06:49 AM
It is a little before my time too (46), but the 50's were not much different. I know when I was 15 I could carry a 90lb bundle of shingles up a latter. Shingling roofs was not for the weak. I don't think very many 15 year old's could do that today. Life changes.

c303a
03-12-14, 11:30 AM
I wonder how some of today's kid's would have fared back then without their Smart Phones, I pod's, Laptops, oh the horror of it to even have to watch TV without any Reality Shows on ... lol

A little before my time, I was born in 44 but thanks for the Pictures shiva ...

TV? We didn't get our first TV until I was 7 in 1948 and it was a 13" round screen. Of course we would rush home from school to watch Howdy Doody when the station came on air at 4 PM. We only had 1 station and you are right...no reality shows but we could go out and play anywhere we wanted without any fear.

cineon_lut
03-12-14, 02:41 PM
TV? We didn't get our first TV until I was 7 in 1948 and it was a 13" round screen. Of course we would rush home from school to watch Howdy Doody when the station came on air at 4 PM. We only had 1 station and you are right...no reality shows but we could go out and play anywhere we wanted without any fear.

How did you get by without knowing about the Kardashians? </gag>

Great pics

Vic (mobile)

shiva
03-12-14, 09:12 PM
How did you get by without knowing about the Kardashians? </gag>

Great pics

Vic (mobile)I knew her that was the little blonde that lived down the street. her dad and I didn't get along very well. :)

Fire$torm
03-16-14, 10:42 AM
Late to the party but thx for the pics.

Btw, although I'm a 61'er, there is one pic that shows something from my past. Pic #52. That Pabst sign was still around when I was a kid. IIRC you could see it from the Dan Ryan Expressway which is the south branch of I94. North Branch is the Kennedy.

Godric
03-25-14, 10:30 PM
Rare color photos: 1940s working women
http://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/rare-color-photos-1940s-working-women/1/

Enjoy!