PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia Ending Support for DX10 GPUs

John P. Myers
03-14-14, 01:31 AM
Not until April 1, 2016 though, so you've got a minute to sell it to someone who doesn't know any better :D

This includes all GeForce 8xxx and 9xxx series cards and all 7xxx, 8xxx and 9xxx series mobile GPUs.

It also include all GeForce 200 series cards, and all Quadro FX 5800 and older cards.

It also includes the GeForce 100 and 300 series, but no one really has those :p

zombie67
03-14-14, 01:41 AM
Ending support doesn't mean that they stop working. Sorta like XP. Most projects will move their apps forward to a point the old GPUs no longer work. But rest assured, SETI will continue to cripple their app, so that it works with old HW.

...I just reread that, and even I am amazed at how bitter I sound. Sorry.

John P. Myers
03-14-14, 01:57 AM
...I just reread that, and even I am amazed at how bitter I sound. Sorry.

lol no worries. Of course it'll still work, but really kills the desirability (aka resale value). On the plus side i'm hoping it'll make it to where Nvidia's drivers aren't so damn bloated. They trimmed a little fat when the let go of everything before the 8xxx series awhile back. Hoping the same happens again. Now if only M$ would quit supporting cassette tape storage drives...

STE\/E
03-15-14, 06:59 AM
I'll just run my NVIDIA Cards till they drop, I don't want to invest in a bunch of new Video Cards right now since I hardly use them for crunching anymore, what I have will suffice for the next year or 2 anyway ... If one goes out I'll either have the company fix it or buy an ATI Card ...

Shandia
03-15-14, 08:09 AM
I was looking for an excuse to stop using the computer with a 6200 GT in it. I was shocked when I started it back up a month ago to find the drivers stopped at 304. The little I've done on that computer has let me know that support for it's use has pretty much stopped. At least things are not as bad as when I did a ton of research and gathered a lot of user reviews before buying a lot of Diamond Stealth cards for the computers I was building in the 90's. Three months after purchasing them strait from Diamond, Direct X came out and all those cards were useless.

Fire$torm
03-16-14, 10:46 AM
I was looking for an excuse to stop using the computer with a 6200 GT in it. I was shocked when I started it back up a month ago to find the drivers stopped at 304. The little I've done on that computer has let me know that support for it's use has pretty much stopped. At least things are not as bad as when I did a ton of research and gathered a lot of user reviews before buying a lot of Diamond Stealth cards for the computers I was building in the 90's. Three months after purchasing them strait from Diamond, Direct X came out and all those cards were useless.

Ouch...

Slicker
03-16-14, 05:01 PM
So.... anyone want to buy an 8400 GS? ;)