PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Screen Help

Slicker
04-10-14, 09:26 AM
My Asus G75VW laptop's screen is toast. Only the back lighting works. I ordered a new screen from LaptopScreen.com and they sent me a "replacement". In other words, not the same manufacturer or model. It is supposed to match resolution and frequency. It doesn't work though. I called customer support who told me I had to submit a ticket online. I told the idiot that would be a great idea if my fracking screen worked! Sure, I have another computer, but they just assume you do. Stupid. Anyway, I filled out the support page and am now waiting for someone to call me. It has been 16 hours...

In the mean time, any suggestions for a laptop should it turn out not to be a screen problem? It would need to be a desktop replacement. In other words:
* 6-12 core processor, AMD or Intel.
* 12-16GB RAM as it needs to run SQL Server, IIS, Visual Studio, and debug apps with 3+ million lines of code.
* Dual hard drive bays would be nice so I can utilize the 120GB SSD from the P.O.S. Asus.
* Large screen (17" or larger if it exists) is a must.
* Weight isn't an issue as I don't travel (much) with it
* Must be reliable. That's more important than any bell or whistle.
* Lighted keyboard would be nice. (the ASUS had it and I really got to like that)
* Max budget is $3K, preferably around $2K (or even less since IL hasn't paid me since November)

Sarge104
04-10-14, 11:53 AM
Might have to wait a bit for a 6-12 core processor in a Laptop. I74960x has a TDP of 130watts compared to the low 60watts most portables use.

For a suggestion on the current laptop repair I strongly recommend checking the freq that the replacement is supposed to be using. That is the easiest issue that can happen.

For a replacement I suggest Ibuypower's Valkyrie CZ-27 (http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Valkyrie-CZ-27-3-Gaming-Laptop) Gaming Laptop, you can upgrade it with second HDD and more ram if you need over the 18Gig for a little over 2k. The case includes most of the bells and whistles you are looking for. The warrenty (http://www.ibuypower.com/Support/Warranty) is not the greatest but I've had good results when contacting their customer support when I bought my first pre- made tower.

John P. Myers
04-10-14, 06:37 PM
Laptop up to 12 cores/24 threads: http://www.eurocom.com/

You'll want to look at the Panther 5 or Panther 5SE models

zombie67
04-10-14, 09:15 PM
Awesome! I wonder how loud one of those things is, maxed out on CPU and GPU, and under full load?

John P. Myers
04-11-14, 01:47 AM
Awesome! I wonder how loud one of those things is, maxed out on CPU and GPU, and under full load?

Dunno if you saw or not, but they can be configured with dual GTX 880M GPUs in SLI for a total of 3072 cores. I'm sure it puts out a bit of noise at that level :)

Slicker
04-14-14, 03:36 PM

The GTX 670M in the Asus G75VW would get hot enough to burn my knees and it had separate fans roughly 1" tall x 4" wide for the CPU and GPU that blew out the back of the laptop. It was pretty quiet though and you could not set the fan speed manually so I have no idea how loud it could have been. It kept the GPU around 78-80C which I thought was a little hot. I usually shoot for < 65C.

Fire$torm
04-14-14, 05:25 PM
The GTX 670M in the Asus G75VW would get hot enough to burn my knees and it had separate fans roughly 1" tall x 4" wide for the CPU and GPU that blew out the back of the laptop. It was pretty quiet though and you could not set the fan speed manually so I have no idea how loud it could have been. It kept the GPU around 78-80C which I thought was a little hot. I usually shoot for < 65C.

Did you ever try SpeedFan (http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php) for that?

Edit: If you are/were running Linux on that lappy, I've seen a Linux alternative that might work. i can dig around if you are interested.

Slicker
04-14-14, 06:12 PM
Did you ever try SpeedFan (http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php) for that?

Edit: If you are/were running Linux on that lappy, I've seen a Linux alternative that might work. i can dig around if you are interested.

It needs to run Windows in order to run SQL Server and IIS for work. It only crunches on the GPU at night -- or not at all now that is is broken.
I posted the following on the Collatz site but figured I'd post here as well to warn people about ASUS support policies...

Andre M.
Hello Jon Sonntag, thank you for contacting ASUS support. Please give me a few moments to review your information. I will be with you shortly.

Jon Sonntag
The LCD is a Chimei N173HGE -L11 Rev C1. The backlight works, but that is all. I ordered a replacement from laptopscreens.com and they sent me "compatible" screen which, of course, didn't work (different manufacturer and model). I shipped the replacement back to them today. So... Any idea where I can get an actual replacement? The warranty has expired and I have no desire to spend $1000 to have someone replace a $100 screen.

Andre M.
I am sorry that you are having to experience this. I will do my best to get your issue resolved.

[time passes...]

Andre M.
I am very sorry Jon but I cannot actually advise you on where to find a compatible model, however you will be able to check Amazon, Newegg and Ebay.

Jon Sonntag
You mean I can't order a replacement part from Asus?

Andre M.
I am very sorry but we do not sell parts.

Jon Sonntag
How do you manage to make the computers if you don't have parts? How do you manage to repair the RMA'd units if you don't have parts? If you can't support the products you sell, I see no need to purchase your products in the future. I have the skills to do it myself so there's no reason to pay someone else. I just need the parts. I can go to Sears and get the parts for my Sears lawn mower. Why can't I get Asus parts for Asus computers from Asus?

Andre M.
I completely understand what you mean Jon and I do apologize for the inconvenience.

======================
That ended the chat. At least I had a chance to fill out a customer service survey.

The moral of the story is Don't buy ASUS products since they will not repair or even sell replacement parts if they break.

My laptop is 1.5 years old. I would expect to be able to get support when it is only 6 months out of warranty. If the best support I can get from ASUS is to check on e-Bay, I will be taking my business elsewhere and hoping all of you do the same.

For the do-it-yourself'ers, don't bother ordering a replacement LCD screen from www.laptopscreen.com (http://www.laptopscreen.com). The order clearly shows that I ordered the exact same make and model of LCD screen to replace the broken one but they sent a "compatible" model that didn't work. It arrived with no documentation, no instructions, and in a bubble wrap USPS envelope stuck in a box but delivered by Fed-Ex (Isn't it illegal to use USPS envelopes to send packages when they aren't send via the USPS?) The web site suggested searching on youtube to see how to do it. Luckily I found one that came pretty close to my laptop model showing how to get it apart and the correct order in which to remove the 40 screws holding the screen in place.

Unfortunately, their phone support is non-existant. When you call, you are told you have to go online to enter a support ticket. Think about that for a moment... Your screen is broke but you are expected to use your computer to enter the help desk ticket online. Evidently, the level 1 support person lost all their fingers and is now QWERTY challenged and unable to do it for you. After having to take pictures and then crop or resize to get to the proper resolution they require to enter the support ticket, they proceed to ignore all the photos and the description of the issue you spent so much time preparing and just send you a scripted "try again" message. I don't think there is a level 3 support. When I pointed out the error of their ways (e.g. they suggested I upgrade the windows drivers when even the BIOS boot-up screen didn't display properly -- more rocket scientists ) and asked to be put in touch with level 3 support, I was sent RMA info instead. So, now I have to order a new laptop as well as wait another week to get my money refunded for the replacement screen which was not really a replacement.

I think I'll have that bourbon now while I consider whether to purchase an MSI or some other brand of desktop replacement laptop.

John P. Myers
04-14-14, 08:26 PM
And this is why i have avoided Asus since 2007. No GPUs, no motherboards, no laptops, nothing i own is Asus (anymore). They're an over-hyped brand, just like Corsair (also which i own absolutely nothing from).

Fire$torm
04-15-14, 12:58 PM
@Slicker: Sorry to hear about all the non-existent support. This is why I would never buy a lappy in the first place. Most companies treat such products as disposable commodities. As do most end users. The two laptops in my possession were hand-me-downs from my sister, who did not want to be bothered "futzing" (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/futzing) (as she would say) with them anymore.

@JPM: Honestly, I've had mostly good experiences with the Corsair products, with the exception of their Austek AIO water coolers. Even then their customer support was not too painful, and they do a good job with RMAs. I've no personal experience with Asus other then the PQ5 MB (From c303a IIRC) that is in need of a CPU so can't say yay or nay. But, I'll take your word and avoid Asus for any future consideration.

John P. Myers
04-15-14, 01:52 PM
But, I'll take your word and avoid Asus for any future consideration.

There's no need to share my (and possibly Slicker's) personal hatred :p As for Corsair, i do like their cases. I don't have any of them, but they do look nice. As for everything else they stamp their name on (because they don't actually make anything at all), it can be purchased from another brand with better quality control for less $$.