PDA

View Full Version : BlackDragon Dead

EmSti
05-20-14, 09:23 AM
Lost BlackDragon last night. No changes, it died while crunching. The Sabertooth 990FX will not post, DRAM LED light is on.

System has been running fine. It stopped on its own and would not reboot. I rechecked all power connections. Tried 4 memory models in A2 slot (the primary slot for the board). Power LED is on. Unpluged and reset CMOS using the jumper. On start up CPU LED light flashes briefly than the DRAM LED blinks once and stays on. Fans are running. There is never a post beep. MemOK button doesn't help (it is suppose to auto figure our memory speeds). I even tried a different speaker, still no beep on restart.

I am out of ideas and I have started the RMA process. A good chunk on my GPU power has been sidelined. I can't help wonder how much the r9 295x2 had to do with its death, since it is over drawing power on the MB. To help prevent over doing it on the MB, I put the 7970 that was running on an extender that has a molex plug to let it pull power directly for the PSU. Maybe I should have run the r9 295x2 on that.

I guess I could try a memory module from the other Sabertooth I have running, but I would think one of the 4 original modules that was running on the dead board would still be good.

Bryan
05-20-14, 11:10 AM
Bummer!

One of the early reviews (pre release) that I read said that they were going to publish a list of MB that could handle the 295x2 but I never found the list. I guess it exceeds the PCIe 3.0 spec by quite a bit on the MB current load.

Ron Shurtz
05-20-14, 11:26 AM
Not sounding good if there are no speaker beeps. :(

http://support.asus.com/Troubleshooting/detail.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=SABERTOOTH%20990FX&p=1&s=24&os=30&hashedid=H9GanpgqHG8yN8yQ&no=978

EmSti
05-20-14, 11:59 AM
Yep, was on that page last night. I think it is dead for good. I did have a similar issue once when little pc speaker was broken on one of my motherboards, won't post until the speaker was replaced. But no such luck here.

DrPop
05-20-14, 12:09 PM
Hi EmSti, that is a great motherboard, but probably too much draw from the PCI-e lanes over time with those mega crunching GPUS. :D heh... part of the problem is the watt pull from the AMD AM3+ CPU and chipset, you're already hogging down a lot more juice through that mobo (compared to an SB/IB i7 rig) and that's before you start adding GPUs. That motherboard (like most) has just a single 8 pin for the motherboard. You probably need something more beefy than that if you want to run the crazy high horsepower GPUs off it. ;)
I'm at work now, but I will PM you with some possible options when I get a chance to look at things. :)

Fire$torm
05-20-14, 12:36 PM
Hey EmSti, inspect all pins of your MB's AUX 12v connector (4/8 pin connector near the CPU) and corresponding PSU cable. Many times these pins will oxidize under heavy current draw. Any oxidation will act like an insulator, causing voltage and current drops.

One other thing to note: Starting with Sandybridge, Intel stopped soldering the IHS (Integrated Heat Spreader) to the CPU die. TIM is used instead. So when it dries out, and all TIMs do so eventually, there is the possibility of heat damaging fragile circuits within the CPU die like the MEM controller.

EmSti
05-20-14, 01:06 PM
Good thought on the connectors, I did recheck connections but not oxidation. I will check tonight.

AMD fx-8150 for the current CPU.

Fire$torm
05-20-14, 01:08 PM
...AMD fx-8150 for the current CPU.

Duh.... Okay, you still have the info for future reference. :P

EmSti
05-20-14, 03:05 PM
Bummer!

One of the early reviews (pre release) that I read said that they were going to publish a list of MB that could handle the 295x2 but I never found the list. I guess it exceeds the PCIe 3.0 spec by quite a bit on the MB current load.

That sparks another thought on requirements, pcie 3.0 support.

EmSti
06-07-14, 12:45 AM
According to the wife, I have a package from ASUS at home. So black's motherboard is back from RMA or been replaced. It will be a week before it is back on-line. Currently traveling for work.

Fire$torm
06-07-14, 12:54 AM
Rotten timing... :(

cineon_lut
06-07-14, 01:37 AM
Horrible feeling. Sorry for the bad timing. Safe travels and a speedy recovery for the rig!

Mumps
06-07-14, 08:50 AM
Sure you can't trade in that wife for a well trained cat sitter? :)) :)) :))

EmSti
06-07-14, 02:48 PM
Sure you can't trade in that wife for a well trained cat sitter? :)) :)) :))

New license plate for the Harley arrived, since I left. I asked her to put it on, drop the bike from its lift (still up for winter storage) and prep if for when I got home. She didn't want to do that either. So, you may be on to something there.

c303a
06-07-14, 03:11 PM
With what she does it doesn't sound like you would get much on a trade in. ;):D

EmSti
06-07-14, 03:18 PM
I am sure her other fine qualities make her worth keeping. I was thinking more a long the lines of adding on. :)

Fire$torm
06-08-14, 11:52 AM
I am sure her other fine qualities make her worth keeping. I was thinking more a long the lines of adding on. :)

Maybe some "French" accessories?

Duke of Buckingham
06-08-14, 11:56 AM

A Myshortypencil costume would do?

EmSti
06-14-14, 12:42 PM
Well I am screwed. I returned the Sabertooth 990fx to Asus with the factory installed CPU fan mounts and backplate and apparently they consider them an accessory and didn't return them with my original motherboard. I didn't spot their bit about cpu mounts under don't return accessories, because I thought of the fan mounts as factory installed just like the heat sinks. I don't have any spare AMD backplates or mounts for AMD cpus. I sent in a complaint but I am not going to hold my breath. Checking into options. Real bummer is I will be traveling again on Tuesday for 2 weeks, so I need to find a solution quick or suffer another 2 weeks of downtime. This sudden work travel has really put a bite in my new PC planning.

EmSti
06-14-14, 01:16 PM
Ordered this with overnight delivery, but I will not be surprised if newegg doesn't get it here by Monday. I am not sure they ship on Saturdays, but thought I would try.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=35-119-165

Fire$torm
06-16-14, 12:56 AM
Ordered this with overnight delivery, but I will not be surprised if newegg doesn't get it here by Monday. I am not sure they ship on Saturdays, but thought I would try.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=35-119-165

They process orders on Saturdays but do not ship out. Carriers do not offer weekend pickup, commercial or residential, except maybe FedEx.

EmSti
06-30-14, 04:48 PM
Yeah, the part I ordered worked as expect, cpu cooler is mounted and BlackDragon is back on-line. At first, when powered on, the fans kicked and power went off. Eventually I found the issue and it is running. Asus returned my original MB with updated bios, which was nice since it saved me a step. Currently going through windows update. Should be crunching away shortly. Unfortunately the updated bios with the USB improvement didn't have the effect I hoped for; more on that in Bitcoin thread.

Fire$torm
06-30-14, 07:38 PM
Btw, for anyone interested....

Intel devised the accepted industry specification for PWM fan control. As part of that spec, when a system is started from a cold boot, after power is first applied to it, that system will go through a 5~8 second power cycle, shut down then restart normally. This is to ensure that all PWM controlled fans (via MB fan headers) are operational and that they will spin up to 100%. If either/both of these conditions are not met, the system will not boot.

Most MB makers implemented this PWM spec around the time of Intel's Nehalem architecture (Original Core i7/i5/i3) was released, IIRC.

EmSti
06-30-14, 09:39 PM
So... Black Dragon is up and running, but it is not healthy. Sabertooth only recognizes GPU in slot 1. It will not detect a GPU in the other slots. I have tried/done the following:
1) Compared all BIOS settings to RedDragon. Both have same BIOS level and every setting is the same. Red sees all its GPUs.
2) Swapped power connections between GPU1 and GPU2 to rule out lack of power
3) Tried 2 different GPUs (7970 and 280x) as the second GPU. Unless both magically died, I think it is the slots.
4) Reinstalled video driver. Didn't help. Device manager doesn't see the second GPU.

I guess I could try moving gpu1 to another slot and try either 280x or 7970 in slot one. Going to let it crunch for awhile and think on it.