PDA

View Full Version : Two ATI 5970s - Free to a good home

Maxwell
05-23-14, 01:15 AM
Hey y'all! Long time...

Blah blah blah, shifting priorities and whatnot (e.g., a wife, new job, cross-country move), I'm not crunching like I used to. I'm still hitting CPU projects trying to hit some milestones, but I'm not credit chasing like I used to. As such, I figured I should send off some of my GPUs to someone who might want to play with them.

I have two ATI 5970s that have been sitting idle in my closet for a long time now. When last I had them in my machine (a Win7x64 box), they crunched projects well; however, they were throwing up some artifacts when using them as actual display GPUs. Given that, I can't guarantee they work, but they very possibly still might.

With that circumstance and the fact that I've been generously gifted some hardware over my years on the team, I'm happy to send them off to anyone who'll crunch them for the team. Free of charge (I'll cover shipping, too). All I ask is that you crunch for the team. If they work and you decide to sell them, split the money with me.

If anyone is interested, PM me. I'll check in to respond to PMs, but may or may not see responses in this thread.

Happy crunching!

John P. Myers
05-23-14, 01:30 AM
:o Maxwell! Welcome back! Congratulations on the wife and job. No opinion on the move to WA :p

Bryan
05-23-14, 01:34 AM
Hi Maxwell ... it sure it good to hear from you. It sounds like RL is moving forward in a very good direction!

Maxwell
05-23-14, 02:01 AM
Hi Maxwell ... it sure it good to hear from you. It sounds like RL is moving forward in a very good direction!
Generally yes! I really can't complain all that much. Glad to see some of my old friends are still active on the boards!

zombie67
05-23-14, 02:01 AM
Maxwell! Welcome to the proper timezone. ;) I like your philanthropy!

P.S. Time for an updated avatar and stat-sig. we go flat/horizontal now.

DrPop
05-23-14, 02:09 AM
Generally yes! I really can't complain all that much. Glad to see some of my old friends are still active on the boards!

MAXWELL!! You are alive! :D Man, this is great to see you on the boards again. WELCOME to the great Pacific Northwest! Growing up in Southeast Alaska, I spent quite a bit of my childhood around those parts and traveling on the ferry and Alaska Airlines of course. Definitely hope you get out there hiking with the wife, and maybe do some Jeep trails and stuff too. Also a great place to get into sailing or at least boating.
Best wishes on the new course in life and don't be a stranger for too long this time. :)

Duke of Buckingham
05-23-14, 02:20 AM
Hi Maxwell, so you divorced your dish washing machine?

Nice that life is on the good way for you my friend, pitty that i am so far away or I would try one of those 5970.

Welcome back to the forum.

Maxwell
05-23-14, 02:30 AM
Thanks for the (re)welcome, y'all!

@Z - I figured I should pay it forward, since I've been the recipient of some great crunching philanthropy...
@DrP - Outdoors is awesome up here - but it's a bit secondary to the beer scene, which is awesome in the greater Seattle area. Gotta hit those breweries...
@Duke - Great to see you! Unfortunately, I'm the dishwasher in this marriage...

John P. Myers
05-23-14, 05:38 AM
@DrP - Outdoors is awesome up here - but it's a bit secondary to the beer scene, which is awesome in the greater Seattle area. Gotta hit those breweries...

lol yeah i remember getting schooled on various beers by you and trigggl. Turns out trigggl was right, Little Rock would've been a much better place to hang out than Memphis, as far as finding a larger variety. More scenic too. I'm sure Seattle has them both beat though :p

Duke of Buckingham
05-23-14, 06:16 AM
Now I miss joker even more ...
http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs11/i/2006/242/8/2/Harley_Quinn_by_Jayn0000.jpg

Fire$torm
05-23-14, 11:06 AM
Holy sh...........! It's Maxwell!

Dude, It's good to see you on the boards again. And a BIG CONGRATS on the marriage and all. Are you still doing the university gig?

c303a
05-23-14, 11:08 AM
Welcome back Maxwell! Glad to hear that you like that Seattle area. I loved it when I was out at Ft. Lewis. It's great to wake up and look at Mt. Ranier in the AM.

cineon_lut
05-23-14, 08:26 PM
Welcome back! Never met you here before, but hope you're back to stay. Those 5970s will surely find a good home. They're probably worth 900k/day on Bitcoin Utopia, or about 300k/day on Collatz!

Maxwell
05-24-14, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the welcomes, everyone! [FYI, the cards have been promised out]

I'm actually working as a consultant now; employment test developer, to be precise. It's nice to work at a small company where people actually seem to like each other. And Seattle is awesome. I've had 396 different beers from Washington, and I'm barely scratching the surface. Some great breweries out here, and some great bars and shops that cater to the beer geeks as well. I'm pretty much in beer heaven.

finalfugue
05-28-14, 06:23 PM

I dunno... I'm willing to settle for a tie, but I'm more of an outdoorsman than I am a drinker. I would put both slightly behind the music scene though. Nice to have some more company up here. AC-free GPU computing represent! I'd have taken a 5970, but I've filled up with deals from ex-miners (the light at the end of that tunnel came faster than I thought.) And if you *are* in Everett drop by my favorite nanobrewery, Middletons, and say hi to Geoff and Kona (the dog) for me.

Maxwell
05-29-14, 01:42 AM
I dunno... I'm willing to settle for a tie, but I'm more of an outdoorsman than I am a drinker. I would put both slightly behind the music scene though. Nice to have some more company up here. AC-free GPU computing represent! I'd have taken a 5970, but I've filled up with deals from ex-miners (the light at the end of that tunnel came faster than I thought.) And if you *are* in Everett drop by my favorite nanobrewery, Middletons, and say hi to Geoff and Kona (the dog) for me.
I was actually at Middleton about a week and a half ago! Really like that place!

E-30
05-29-14, 02:23 AM
wow man i missed you nice to have you back